Old 18-06-2003, 06:32 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Quarintine? Reality?

Ok, I know this one will grab some flames...and lots of strong opinions, but
what I am looking for is..."I did this...and saw this..." and not "I have
heard this..."

How many people have bought fish and...

....quarantined them, seeing no evidence of disease?
....quarantined them, seeing evidence of disease?
....quarantined them, and lost them due to disease?
....not quarantined them, seeing no evidence of disease?
....not quarantined them, seeing evidence of disease?
....not quarantined them, and lost them due to disease?

I must admit, I have never quarantined new aquariums mates. My water is
good, and as far as I know, I have never lost a fish to disease.

OK, my asbestos suit is on. Flame away if you need. Discussion preferred.

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 18-06-2003, 07:08 PM
K30a

BV wrote ...not quarantined them, and lost them due to disease?

me.
I think the advice on quarantining is safest, cover all contingencies, be
prepared, worst case type of stuff. There are always horror stories of a whole
pond going fins up after a new fish is introduced.

How many people test a skin product on a small patch of skin for 24 hours? Nah,
most of us slather whatever it is on and d*mn the consequences. The ones who
break out in purple and green spots are more likely to quarantine their fish.
;-)

k30a
Old 18-06-2003, 07:08 PM
K30a

Wait, wait, wait!!!
I choose the wrong door.
Make mine
...not quarantined them, and NOT lost them due to disease?

Haven't had enough coffee this morning!!

sigh...............

k30a
Old 18-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
[...]

I haven't purchased fish in five years at least. If I were
to purchase a fish now I'd definitely quarantine rather than
risk introducing illness to my pond.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 18-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Hank Pagel

BV, DOOR #4- Not Quarantined and no other lost fish, but I have lost
newly purchased fish. Quarantine seems to me to be adding more stress
to the new fish. I guess it is a matter of how much risk you are
willing to take and how much you trust your supplier. So, no flames
here.

Old 18-06-2003, 07:56 PM
ajames54

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:27:29 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
m wrote:

...not quarantined them, seeing no evidence of disease?

But I take great care before I buy them to check them, their
tankmates and the general condition of all other fish at the
vendor...
Old 18-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Robyn Rhudy

It seems, if I quarantine, the fish are fine. If I don't, they give the
other fish something like ick. So, I just rarely buy fish and keep the
new ones separate for months!

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
_ _
(o)____(o) ---ribbit
_/ oo \_
/ \----------/ \
\ | | | | /
ww ooo ooo ww

Old 18-06-2003, 09:56 PM

...quarantined them, seeing no evidence of disease?
.... yes, always now
...quarantined them, seeing evidence of disease?

... yes, of course
...quarantined them, and lost them due to disease?

.... yes, I just ran across a picture of a ginrin showa that died in the quarantine
tank. suddenly. swimming happily that night, dead in the morning. was one of most
gorgeous fish I ever had .. briefly.
...not quarantined them, seeing no evidence of disease?

... did this first few years. got away with it too, then had who tank full of fish
crash.
...not quarantined them, seeing evidence of disease?

.... fish with wound no room in smaller tank, put em in with other fish thought I
could handle the problem, lost a couple other fish. actually, bought a beautiful
oranda I bought at a GF show into a tank of fish. morning the fish was loaded with
ich.. I mean every square inch of the fish was covered. fish was dead. got em out
and didnt lose any of those fish in the tank. was I LUCKY.
...not quarantined them, and lost them due to disease?

... oh yeah. I would buy 5 or 6 fish, put em in a tank and they would drop off. this
was in first few years. I quit buying fish from pet stores after this.
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 18-06-2003, 10:08 PM

the fish is at the supplier. how long did they quarantine the fish? then they bag
the fish up, you drag it home and it is stressed from the move. stressed fish lose
control over their parasite load, they shed the parasites into the water. they may
be immune, but the fish already in the pond may not have been in contact with that
particular parasite and their immunity has declined. so it is more likely the new
fish will survive, the existing fish get sick and/or die.
I dont quarantine new fish in a small tank. I quarantine them in a large stock tank
where I keep the water pristine. I can easily net them to treat them, I can treat
that tank and do the necessary water changes, and I can boost the temp on that tank
up to 84oF to see if any of the heat activated cooties "come out".
Jan even keeps an indicator fish in that quarantine tank, so if they shed something
deadly the indicator fish bellies up.. .not the whole pond full of fish. The other
fish also does help calm a single fish. You must not have been on this list the last
few years when people just tossed new fish into their ponds and had the entire pond
full of fish die. It is an easily avoidable horror. I am very short on sympathy for
people who dont quarantine. Ingrid

"Hank Pagel" wrote:
Quarantine seems to me to be adding more stress
to the new fish. I guess it is a matter of how much risk you are
willing to take and how much you trust your supplier.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 18-06-2003, 10:08 PM

doesnt matter. you have no idea what parasites they are carrying. do you even ask
how long those fish have been in quarantine, or IF they have been in quarantine at
the store? fish are easy to quarantine. why risk it? you got room for a pond, you
got room for a 100 gallon stock tank. Ingrid

But I take great care before I buy them to check them, their
tankmates and the general condition of all other fish at the
vendor...

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 18-06-2003, 10:32 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
[...]

you asked six questions so my anwer is yes x 6

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 18-06-2003, 10:56 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

I must admit, I have never quarantined new aquariums mates. My water is
good, and as far as I know, I have never lost a fish to disease.

Me neither. I've never had the luxuries of a second tank w/ the same
water parameters, and filtration.

The only "problems" I've had is a few losses with a few feeders in a
dozen from the store. And at $1.50 per dozen...

Now if I had some fish that I valued, and was able to keep them for more
than a winter or two, I might feel different.

But it still stands that you need a second setup to the quarantine
correctly. I've now got a 300 gal stock tank, my goal is to use that in
the future, someday.
Old 19-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Dear Jeff,
This is my honest to goodness confession and apologies the same time.

I use to think that Ingrid was nuts for all her preaching on quarantine
(Sorry Ingrid)

So I started my pond with a few small fish, junk fish, $10 fish, etc. Loose
a fish here and there, didn't know the cause, and didn't care.

Then I started buying bigger and better fish (Cost more...). So I got some
fish, threw them in the pond without quarantine, and lost some pretty darn
expensive fish! I cried. Since then I WILL NEVER put a new fish in my
pond without a slat bath and quarantine.

That's all I know!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 19-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Sue Alexandre

Got an extra suit I can borrow? I've never quarantined a new fish,
either. Maybe I'm just living on borrowed time because I've had no
problems in 3 years.....been very lucky.
Sue

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 19-06-2003, 04:56 AM