Old 23-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Carl Beyer

Default Anyone use a Fuidized Bed Filter?

Wanted to hear thoughts / results. Considering it for my 400 gallon
pond. I have heard great things...

Carl Beyer

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 23-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Matt the Rat

Carl Beyer wrote:
Wanted to hear thoughts / results. Considering it for my 400 gallon
pond. I have heard great things...

I've got one in my pond (somewhere between 15000 and 20000 litres and
far too many fish). Ammonia levels aren't zero but are right at the
bottom of the scale on the test kit.

I wouldn't buy one though, they're easier enough to make with a pipe and
some coral sand.

--
Matt Helliwell
Matt at Matt The Rat dot com

Old 23-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Sam Hopkins

They work. When I had one on my large aquarium I could totally redo all the
entire tank and change all the filter media and not worry about ammonia. I
removed it and placed it on another tank and now I when I change 20% of
anything I see spikes.

Old 23-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Carl Beyer

In article ,
Matt the Rat wrote:

Carl Beyer wrote:
Wanted to hear thoughts / results. Considering it for my 400 gallon
pond. I have heard great things...

I've got one in my pond (somewhere between 15000 and 20000 litres and
far too many fish). Ammonia levels aren't zero but are right at the
bottom of the scale on the test kit.

I wouldn't buy one though, they're easier enough to make with a pipe and
some coral sand.

This is what I kind of saw as well. The ones I have seen here in the US
do not seem to be outdoor friendly.

Do you, or anyone else, have any specifics on how to construct this bad
boy? Like sand to water volume?

I assume it is dead coral sand, not live coral sand that is used in my
berlin system of reef tank?

Thanks for any advice on this

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 23-06-2003, 07:09 PM
Matt the Rat

Carl Beyer wrote:
In article ,
Matt the Rat wrote:

Carl Beyer wrote:

Wanted to hear thoughts / results. Considering it for my 400 gallon
pond. I have heard great things...

I wouldn't buy one though, they're easier enough to make with a pipe and
some coral sand.

This is what I kind of saw as well. The ones I have seen here in the US
do not seem to be outdoor friendly.

Do you, or anyone else, have any specifics on how to construct this bad
boy? Like sand to water volume?

I've put an outline on my rarely updared blog at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/matttherat/blog/index.htm

The key element is the rate at which you pump water through compared to
the height of the filter. If you push through too much water then all
your sand will get pumped out.

--
Matt Helliwell
Matt at Matt The Rat dot com

Old 23-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Carl Beyer

Cool... thanks for some great ideas

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 24-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Mark T.

Take a look at this link as well for design and instructions.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.webster1/

Mark