Old 24-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Donald

Default Planing a pond (will this work)

Hello all,
I have been following this group, doing research and talking to all the
pond owners in my area. To my surprise building a pond is more than digging
a hole, lining it and filling it with water. I have been wanting a pond for
a long time (since the creek dried up when I was a kid). I will lay out my
plans for you and I am asking for comments and suggestions. Especially if I
am WAY OFF TRACK on something.

First a little about my location. I live in southern Saskatchewan,
Canada. 40 minutes outside of Regina. The area I picked to place the pond is
a 12' x 16' area north of my deck. I was originally going to place it on the
north side of my garage but 2 reasons made this undesirable first is not
enough light, garage and trees block direct sunlight a good portion of the
day. Second a local pond owner pointed out that a location should be where
it can be "enjoyed" .e.g.. after his first pond he and his guests would
routinely move there patio chairs across the yard to sit by the pond (away
from the 'refreshment' stand) so he built another closer to his deck (best
of both worlds). Originally I had planed to conceal all plumbing, filters
and electrical in the garage, WAS a good idea.

So, For my plans. I found a old fiberglass bath tub (the kind with the
molded enclosure) at the land fill site. it has the holes for tap, drain,
shower ect. I plan on using some for plumbing others I will just put pipes
on them that will extend above water level to run cords, hoses ect. so they
are not hanging over the edge of the pond. Inside dimensions are aprox.
81"x60"x31" (about 650 gallons ?) I plan on digging down so there is only 7"
to 10" above ground (depends on how many friend I can convince to come over
and dig LOL) . I want to build a wall from ground up to top of tub extending
it past the back of the pond about 18". this would be used to hold pumps
electrical, plumbing, food, nets ect. And hold the waterfall filter that I
will describe in the next paragraph. The waterfall filter will be on the
backside of the pond dropping down to ground level (If the basin I get is
tall enough) and extending above the pond about a foot.. this will also be
have the wall built around it to give it a nice clean look. This I think is
pretty straight forward. Any ideas or criticisms?

The filter will be a Rubbermaid tub (cattle trough) about 100 gallons.
The water will be plumbed into the bottom though the filter medium (lava
rock and ??? with a screen of some sort to hold it down). Then it will
waterfall back into the pond. I have my eye on a 500 gph pump, will this be
sufficient to run the filter and/or fountain? Should I get another pump for
the fountain? I also want to somehow place a bird bath with a hose in the
bottom to trickle water into the pond (to keep bird bath water clean and
fresh). Back to the filter. I want to keep plants and tropical fish in the
filter. To build the overflow, is there anything wrong with galvanized tin
the kind roofers use for valleys?. I plan on having a 2" valve in the bottom
of the filter to "flush" it out occasionally. Good idea or bad?

I an on a very tight budget (the main reason its not built yet) I would
especially like money saving tips on filter medium, plants, food, pumps ect.
Also important is if there is a major design flaw or something I have
overlooked as this is when I should address it (before building). I want to
do it right and do a nice job, another reason its still in planning stages.
I could have dug it down filled with water and then worked on it slowly but
as I said I want it to be done right the first time. LOL.

Thanks for your time and suggestions!!! Reply to me directly, though the
group or both.

Don Meyer

remember remove NO SPAM from my address when replying

Old 26-06-2003, 06:41 AM
Donald

Hey did this post really get to the group. No one has replyed. I see almost
every other post sent after mine has gotten a response but not mine . Is it
because I am Canadian LOL. Anyhow i called the gas company today as soon as
they survey and give me the goahead I start digging. Someone sugested I put
3" of fine sand under the fiberglass tub and back fill the sides with sand
as well is theis nessasay? Great another expence LOL LOL.

Old 26-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Sorry we didn't respond in a timely manner. Your idea sounds great. I
would not do the bird bath thing for many reasons. save the money.

The sand base is to help make sure that your fiberglass pool is supported on
all face without any void. If there is a void that is significant, it may
cause your tank to crack as fiberglass does not stretch like a liner! If
your sand is dry and sandy then don't worry about the sand! OTOH sand is a
cheap insurance.

The 500 gph pump sounds perfect also. Didn't really understand how you will
use the galvanized flashing to act as your weir for the waterfall without
cutting the rubbermaid stock tank. How do you attach the metal weir? How
do you seal around it's edge?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 26-06-2003, 07:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"Donald" wrote in message
Hello all,
I have been following this group, doing research and talking to all

the
pond owners in my area. To my surprise building a pond is more than

digging
a hole, lining it and filling it with water. I have been wanting a pond

for
a long time (since the creek dried up when I was a kid). I will lay out my
plans for you and I am asking for comments and suggestions. Especially if

am WAY OFF TRACK on something.

snip

Donald,

I was in October of 2002 where you are now. I have gleaned a few important
tid bits off this group over the past months. Some of these may help:

1. No matter how much planning you do, you will end up with a problem you
did not think of. Don't worry when this happens. Almost all problems are
easily corrected.

2. No matter how much experience anyone here has or does not have, we can't
have all the answers, nor can we consider all of your variables. Invariably,
we will recommend something that causes you more headaches then you would
rather have, because there was some detail of your particular environment
that we could not see. That is part of the learning curve. See Rule #1.

3. Opinions are like toe nails on rec.ponds. We all have them, and they are
typically covered in our own pond muck. What works for some, doesn't work
for others. You can learn a lot here, and be forewarned of these common
terms, salt, koi, water change, top off, BZT, mulm, filter, skimmer, veggie,
bio, mechanical, lily, goldfish, tadpole, etc. You will learn to "see" these
words much like Neo could "see" the matrix.

4. Understand now, how water works. It seeks it's own level. Your pump will
be able to pump water uphill, but only so far. Your pump will not work well,
PULLING water uphill. Keep this in mind as you define your ponds, waterfalls
and filters. I didn't do this, and had headaches including a VF that had no
water in it. After much stress about #2, and too much talk about #3, I saw
rule #1, and solved my problem in a few hours.

5. You WILL have algae. It's OK. It's normal. Accept it.

6. You WILL kill some fish. Buy cheap ones at first. It hurts less.

7. Your water WILL kill some fish if not tested and appropriately treated
before addition to the pond.

8. Your Koi will need x number gallons of water to live properly. To
determine x take the number of fish in your pond, divided by the number of
gallons in your pond, cosined with the flow rate of your pump, squared by
the size of your filter area, carry the 2, multiply this by 12, and divide
that number in half. This is the magical number of fish you have in your
pond safely. Even then, see #6.

9. This is your FIRST pond, not your LAST pond.

10. Never use the term jimmy-rig when describing your pond system. It is
implied.

How these few basics help.

BV.

Old 26-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Donald" wrote in message

[...]

I have to hand it to you, you have learned well ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 26-06-2003, 08:20 PM
joe

BenignVanilla wrote:

You can learn a lot here, and be forewarned of these common
terms, salt, koi, water change, top off, BZT, mulm, filter, skimmer, veggie,
bio, mechanical, lily, goldfish, tadpole, etc. You will learn to "see" these
words much like Neo could "see" the matrix.

Okay. I like the odd analogy, but The Matrix? BV, you need a nice Stoli
martini.

Joe

Old 26-06-2003, 08:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"joe" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:

You can learn a lot here, and be forewarned of these common
terms, salt, koi, water change, top off, BZT, mulm, filter, skimmer,

veggie,
bio, mechanical, lily, goldfish, tadpole, etc. You will learn to "see"

these
words much like Neo could "see" the matrix.

Okay. I like the odd analogy, but The Matrix? BV, you need a nice Stoli
martini.

Shaken, not stirred please. And I prefer Sapphire it's all the same.

BV.

Old 26-06-2003, 09:20 PM
joe

BenignVanilla wrote:

Okay. I like the odd analogy, but The Matrix? BV, you need a nice Stoli
martini.

Shaken, not stirred please. And I prefer Sapphire it's all the same.

Acccck. Sacrilege. Stoli is vodka, Sapphire is gin.

Old 26-06-2003, 10:32 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:

8. Your Koi will need x number gallons of water to live properly. To
determine x take the number of fish in your pond, divided by the number of
gallons in your pond, cosined with the flow rate of your pump, squared by
the size of your filter area, carry the 2, multiply this by 12, and divide
that number in half. This is the magical number of fish you have in your
pond safely. Even then, see #6.

BV.

its benn a long time since I took a math class if i followd this right
I should be able to keep -.000001 fish in the pond
or did I forget to square the sine of the cosine ?
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 27-06-2003, 02:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"joe" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:

Okay. I like the odd analogy, but The Matrix? BV, you need a nice Stoli
martini.

Shaken, not stirred please. And I prefer Sapphire it's all the same.

Acccck. Sacrilege. Stoli is vodka, Sapphire is gin.

Yeah, I know. I have never been much of a vodka fan. Although I have had a
martini or two made from gray goose. Kettle One is smooth as well.

BV.

Old 27-06-2003, 02:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Rutz" wrote in message

BenignVanilla wrote:

8. Your Koi will need x number gallons of water to live properly. To
determine x take the number of fish in your pond, divided by the number

of
gallons in your pond, cosined with the flow rate of your pump, squared

by
the size of your filter area, carry the 2, multiply this by 12, and

divide
that number in half. This is the magical number of fish you have in your
pond safely. Even then, see #6.

BV.

its benn a long time since I took a math class if i followd this right
I should be able to keep -.000001 fish in the pond
or did I forget to square the sine of the cosine ?

John...I think you are overstocked. You better send your Koi to me.

BV.

Old 03-07-2003, 05:08 AM
mad

i answered your question about the birdbath when you posted it originally
(at least i thought i did). i have one in my pond and like it very much. i
had a birdbath made specially with a hollow up the pedestal and a hole in
the bowl. i siliconed the tube from the pump at the bowl after running it up
the pedestal. i really like the way it works. my pump is wrapped in a
polyester fiber filter envelope and placed in a plastic plant basket filled
with pebbles. the plant basket has a hook at the top and is hung from a
planter in the pond. i have watercress planted in the bowl and it has really
grown. the water flows through the watercress and spills over the side. i
have pix in my 2 websites below.
mad
--
See my zone 8B pond:
http://community.webshots.com/album/14478479WdPMkPBPmt

From: "Donald"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:22:42 -0600
Subject: Planing a pond (will this work)

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
WOULD THIS WORK AS A POND? BC DEX Ponds 14 16-08-2004 04:36 AM
WOULD THIS WORK AS A POND? BC DEX Ponds 0 15-08-2004 11:22 AM
spring pond work Ka30P Ponds 30 09-03-2004 04:13 AM
how to get above ground pump to work on a below ground pond. matt clark Ponds 8 06-08-2003 02:12 AM