Old 01-07-2003, 03:08 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Lotus Frustration

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003
On BV's Clay-ey Pond
"BenignVanilla" wrote:

I have a 30 gallon Rubbermaid sitting in the bottom of my pond, about 42
inches down. The tubers are planted in 5-6'' of clay.

The container is 42 inches down? No wonder they're so big, once they hit
the surface they explode into the air. I thought, correct me if I'm so
wrong, that lotus are suppose to be less than 1/2 a foot under the

surface.

You ask me if they are in a clay-ey pond. Surely you jest.
BV.

On BV Clay-ey pond? ~ jan

I planted my lotus as per my neighbors suggestion. These went into the pond
months ago, before the conversations on proper methods were discussed. They
seem to be doing OK, but I plan to replant them next year. I hope to do a
lotus bog/pond up near the house, and then at some point link that pond to
my VF so the whole system is connected. When I build that bog, I plan to
make it only a few inches deep, and then I am going to just toss the tubors
in, no pots. This will be "their" pond.

Old 01-07-2003, 07:20 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I know everyone is excited when their lotus finally buds, but I think when
the lotus has multiple aerial leaves is pretty cool too. So what's
happening at my house? Well not only do both pots now have buds with
neither having aerial leaves, the pot with the first bud, now has a second
started. What do I know about lotus? Nothing, absolutely nothin'! ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 01-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Nedra

Jan... You have proved my point - that knowing anything
about lotus guarantees their success!! I know less than
any one I know about what constitues success for plant
growing and blooming. This dismal spring I thought my
entire lotus pond was Dead! The last week of April the pond
guy came over; cleaned out the debris and fertilized the
lotuses.... you can see the result in the website below.
I dunno ...............

Nedra

Old 02-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Cam

Must be my clay. *laugh*

You know BV you might be right. If i understand it correctly, clayey like
soil (reddish clay soil) is richer in chelated iron than other soils. Is the
Lotus an iron loving plant?

Old 02-07-2003, 08:20 PM
EliezerE

I didn't use bone meal or blood, but I do have a family of five raccoons and
inumerable muskrats that visit every night. I think that since I have the only
pond in the area, they go wild and rip everything to shreds. Next year I will
put a fence around the pond, or mouse traps.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Nedra

Have you tried Fido Fence? I think that will keep any
of the varmits away.... once they get hit by the electrical
charge.

Nedra

Old 03-07-2003, 07:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Jan... You have proved my point - that knowing anything
about lotus guarantees their success!! I know less than
any one I know about what constitues success for plant
growing and blooming. This dismal spring I thought my
entire lotus pond was Dead! The last week of April the pond
guy came over; cleaned out the debris and fertilized the
lotuses.... you can see the result in the website below.
I dunno ...............
Nedra

Wow. I want aerial leaves. ( But I'll settle for buds.
Question: what is the weepy tree to the right of the umbrella?

Old 03-07-2003, 09:08 AM
Nedra

That, Jan, is the Alaskan False Cypress (Pendula) ... it has
grown so very tall and is hanging over the pond so much
I'm surprised I don't have trouble with it. So far so good!
It's been there since I put the pond in ... 8 or 9 years ago.

Nedra

Old 03-07-2003, 02:56 PM
John Rutz

--

;and I ll settle for anything green growing from the lotus :-)

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 03-07-2003, 10:57 PM
EliezerE

John-- it's good to know that I am not the only one who ruined my lotus.
Misery loves company.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

That, Jan, is the Alaskan False Cypress (Pendula) ... it has
grown so very tall and is hanging over the pond so much
I'm surprised I don't have trouble with it. So far so good!
It's been there since I put the pond in ... 8 or 9 years ago.
Nedra

Nice, very nice. ~ jan )

Old 04-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

EliezerE wrote:
John-- it's good to know that I am not the only one who ruined my lotus.
Misery loves company.

I must confess, I killed my lotus also. You are not alone :-(

--
Bonnie
NJ

RHS FRUSTRATION! Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 16 31-12-2009 12:46 PM
String trimmer frustration ctlady Gardening 6 14-07-2008 02:31 PM
Frustration!!! Ray B Orchids 1 29-09-2007 09:41 PM
potting mix frustration 0tterbot Australia 26 23-12-2006 05:13 AM