Old 04-07-2003, 06:57 PM
EliezerE

Default Lotus Frustration

I was ready to go to a garden center and buy a growing lotus for $70 to replace
mine, but before leaving I saw that two leaves have come up from what I thought
was a mostly-dead tuber. I don't know what can develop from a lotus that is
starting out now by the end of the summer in Chicago, but I am excited to see
what happens. So, to my fellow novices, I say never give up.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Pinkpggy

I was ready to go to a garden center and buy a growing lotus for $70 to
replace
mine, but before leaving I saw that two leaves have come up from what I
thought
was a mostly-dead tuber. I don't know what can develop from a lotus that is
starting out now by the end of the summer in Chicago, but I am excited to see
what happens. So, to my fellow novices, I say never give up.

My story isn't about lotus, but about water canna. Last year the people at the
store told me to cut it off and stick it at the bottom of the pond with the
other plants. I thought, yeah right. But I did it. This year its growing,
not blooming yet, but its a beautiful plant. So you never know what will
happen with a pond.

Jan
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/us.html
Old 05-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Pinkpggy wrote:
I was ready to go to a garden center and buy a growing lotus for $70 to
replace
mine, but before leaving I saw that two leaves have come up from what I
thought
was a mostly-dead tuber. I don't know what can develop from a lotus that is
starting out now by the end of the summer in Chicago, but I am excited to see
what happens. So, to my fellow novices, I say never give up.

My story isn't about lotus, but about water canna. Last year the people at the
store told me to cut it off and stick it at the bottom of the pond with the
other plants. I thought, yeah right. But I did it. This year its growing,
not blooming yet, but its a beautiful plant. So you never know what will
happen with a pond.

Jan
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/us.html

Please remind us of this in September! ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 06-07-2003, 12:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Hardy or Tropical canna? If T.canna, what zone are you in? ~ janj

My story isn't about lotus, but about water canna. Last year the people at the
store told me to cut it off and stick it at the bottom of the pond with the
other plants. I thought, yeah right. But I did it. This year its growing,
not blooming yet, but its a beautiful plant. So you never know what will
happen with a pond. Jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 08-07-2003, 07:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Still no aerials here, but I now have 3 buds in one pot and 2 in the other
coming up. The pads on the surface are finally showing some width, both
have a pad 5-6" diameter, but nothing close to BV's monsters. First bud is
now a little bigger than the size of a ping pong ball. ) ~ jan

Old 08-07-2003, 01:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message

Still no aerials here, but I now have 3 buds in one pot and 2 in the other
coming up. The pads on the surface are finally showing some width, both
have a pad 5-6" diameter, but nothing close to BV's monsters. First bud is
now a little bigger than the size of a ping pong ball. ) ~ jan

snip

Not to add insult to injury...but...I now have two aerials and 3-4 new
leaves coming up on the surface. My largest leaf at about 24 inches was
nearly destroyed this weekend by my sister-in-law's brain damaged dog whom
thought he could walk on the duckweed like the frogs. I lost that 2 foot
leaf, and 2 flowers on my peach lily. On a lighter note, the white lily
flowered this morning, and appears to have another bud coming up.

BV.

Old 09-07-2003, 06:57 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Did I say I love you in an earlier post? I take it back you show off!

I can't grow Lotus to save my life, and here you are Mister Clayey water
with your fancy well developed Lotus with the 3 foot diameter leaves!

Huuh! May your fancy frogs develop a taste for Lotus leaves! :-(

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 09-07-2003, 01:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Did I say I love you in an earlier post? I take it back you show off!

I can't grow Lotus to save my life, and here you are Mister Clayey water
with your fancy well developed Lotus with the 3 foot diameter leaves!

Huuh! May your fancy frogs develop a taste for Lotus leaves! :-(

snip

I'd be happy to ship you some of my clay water, for the right price.

BV.

Old 09-07-2003, 10:07 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message

Still no aerials here, but I now have 3 buds in one pot and 2 in the other
coming up. The pads on the surface are finally showing some width, both
have a pad 5-6" diameter, but nothing close to BV's monsters. First bud is
now a little bigger than the size of a ping pong ball. ) ~ jan

snip

Not to add insult to injury...but...I now have two aerials and 3-4 new
leaves coming up on the surface. BV

Ah, no problem, I've got an aerial today, 5 buds total with the first
looking like it might be open by tomorrow. ) ~ jan

Old 09-07-2003, 10:07 PM
EliezerE

Jan, it sounds like you have more buds than leaves. You should speak to the
people at High Times.

Old 09-07-2003, 10:09 PM
EliezerE

Old 10-07-2003, 12:42 AM
John Rutz

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message

Still no aerials here, but I now have 3 buds in one pot and 2 in the other
coming up. The pads on the surface are finally showing some width, both
have a pad 5-6" diameter, but nothing close to BV's monsters. First bud is
now a little bigger than the size of a ping pong ball. ) ~ jan

snip

Not to add insult to injury...but...I now have two aerials and 3-4 new
leaves coming up on the surface. BV

Ah, no problem, I've got an aerial today, 5 buds total with the first
looking like it might be open by tomorrow. ) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

--
and I took a wild stab in the dark based on the posts saying just put
the tuber on top of the dirt and drug mine out of the pond an d washed

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 10-07-2003, 01:57 AM
Nedra

John I am Sooo Glad you found the lotus is still
alive and growing!!

I don't know where you have it sitting now -
but if you put it about 3 or 4 inches below the
surface of the water .... you may just get a flower this year!

Nedra

"John Rutz" wrote in message

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
[...]

RHS FRUSTRATION! Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 16 31-12-2009 12:46 PM
String trimmer frustration ctlady Gardening 6 14-07-2008 02:31 PM
Frustration!!! Ray B Orchids 1 29-09-2007 09:41 PM
potting mix frustration 0tterbot Australia 26 23-12-2006 05:13 AM