Old 30-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

Default Lotus' second bloom crooked?

Hi,
My lotus is sending up a second bloom. The first bloom is approx 9 days
old, so it's at the 5' level and swelling. About 4 days ago a second bloom
appeared! I was so happy until I noticed the stem is crooked. Two inches
above the water's surface it took a 3" horizontal detour, then went straight
up again. It wasn't hung up on a leaf. Anyone else have this happen?

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"You might not always get what you want, but you always get what you
expect." Charles Spurgeon

Old 30-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Nedra

Hi Wendy, Yes. Some of the stems do grow crooked ...
I don't know why they do this
- - How deep is your lotus planted?

Nedra

Old 01-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Wendy Kelly Budd

For the life I me, I can't remember, it's been 2 years. Getting old. There
is only approx. 8" or less of water over the soil. Guessing the
tuber/runners are no more than 4" down? The pot/container is 23 gallon &
round buried in the ground. Do you think I planted it too deep/too shallow?
The other bloom is doing great, as did it's first bloom last year.
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Benjamin Franklin

rthlink.net...

Old 01-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Nedra

That sounds just about ideal. Maybe a little shallow if the
water gets really Hot in the summertime. I would just leave
it - couldn't be hurting the lotus or it wouldn't bloom at all !

Nedra

"Wendy Kelly Budd" wrote in message
For the life I me, I can't remember, it's been 2 years. Getting old.

There
is only approx. 8" or less of water over the soil. Guessing the
tuber/runners are no more than 4" down? The pot/container is 23 gallon &
round buried in the ground. Do you think I planted it too deep/too

shallow?
The other bloom is doing great, as did it's first bloom last year.
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Benjamin Franklin

rthlink.net...

Old 01-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Jerrispond

Hi Wendy, Yes. Some of the stems do grow crooked ...
I don't know why they do this

Some of mine do it also, it is a normal thing to do. . I guess it is the
weather, the lilies are outstanding so far....but only one or 2 buds per lotus
plant so far. A couple of the lotus look like they won't even bloom this year.
Lotus thrive in the heat of summer, and believe it or not we have not hit 90
yet this year..After 5 years of drought, we are getting torrential rains and it
is cloudy most days. Oh well I hate the heat anyway.....I am in
Atlanta.....Tropical storm Bill is on the way, so I drained down the ponds this
morning. Yesterday downtown Atlanta got a thunderstorm with 3.12 inches of
rain in 30 minutes!!!!... Jerri

Old 01-07-2003, 03:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
That sounds just about ideal. Maybe a little shallow if the
water gets really Hot in the summertime. I would just leave
it - couldn't be hurting the lotus or it wouldn't bloom at all !

snip

My lotus is in 4-5 inches of clay in a Rubbermaid that is at the bottom of
the 42 inch depth of the pond. I think next season I will have a shallow
lotus pond closer to the house. This plant is going to take over my pond, it
appears.

BV.

Old 01-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Jerrispond wrote:
Hi Wendy, Yes. Some of the stems do grow crooked ...
I don't know why they do this

Some of mine do it also, it is a normal thing to do. . I guess it is the
weather, the lilies are outstanding so far....but only one or 2 buds per lotus
plant so far. A couple of the lotus look like they won't even bloom this year.
Lotus thrive in the heat of summer, and believe it or not we have not hit 90
yet this year..After 5 years of drought, we are getting torrential rains and it
is cloudy most days. Oh well I hate the heat anyway.....I am in
Atlanta.....Tropical storm Bill is on the way, so I drained down the ponds this
morning. Yesterday downtown Atlanta got a thunderstorm with 3.12 inches of
rain in 30 minutes!!!!... Jerri

Hi Jerri,

When you drain the ponds down, just how far down do you
drain them and do you have to do this often in hurricane season?

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 01-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

Jesus! In 30 minutes? We have had that over night! ...in 30 minutes...
any flooding?

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 02-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

BV,
I love this! I would have told you that the lotus would die planted down
42". How high doe the aerials get? I presume it has jumped out of the
container from your description. Does it try to travel to shallower water?
How the hell will you lift that out? Scuba gear?
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"A woman is like a teabag, only in hot water do you realize how strong she
is." Eleanor Roosevelt

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
rthlink.net...

Old 03-07-2003, 02:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Wendy Kelly Budd" wrote in message
BV,
I love this! I would have told you that the lotus would die planted down
42". How high doe the aerials get? I presume it has jumped out of the
container from your description. Does it try to travel to shallower

water?
How the hell will you lift that out? Scuba gear?
--
Wendy* in N. California,

snip

I used a 30 (or so) gallon Rubbermaid with about 5-6 of clay in the bottom.
So the stems rise about 40 or so inches. My first aerial is about 6 inches
above the surface of the water. I'll have to get some pictures. It is
actually very funny. It points E-SE...towards the sun. It looks like a
satellite dish. *laugh*

I have no idea if it has left the rubbermaid as I am still dealing with
orange water, and cannot see more then a foot down. How will I get it out?
As a wet, cold, soggy moron, standing in the pond, cussing and moaning the
whole time. I am sure. Hence my idea for a lotus pond next year. *laugh*

BV.

Old 03-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

BV wrote:
How will I get it out? As a wet, cold, soggy moron, standing in the pond,

cussing and moaning the whole time. I am sure.

Sounds like me when I had to put the lid back on the bottom drain! Boy was
I wishing I had kept the weight belt from my scuba gear. But then, you will
have that Rubbermaid to hold you down!!

--
Wendy* in N. California,
Lady Amethyst of the Royal Flower Gardens

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time we
fail." - Confucius

Old 03-07-2003, 03:56 PM
BenignVanilla

BV wrote:
How will I get it out? As a wet, cold, soggy moron, standing in the pond,

cussing and moaning the whole time. I am sure.

Sounds like me when I had to put the lid back on the bottom drain! Boy

was
I wishing I had kept the weight belt from my scuba gear. But then, you

will
have that Rubbermaid to hold you down!!

That reminds me...I need to build and install my lid.

BV.

Trailing Lotus-2254 (Lotus berthelotii) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 0 16-09-2012 08:23 AM
The Big Dig Update! - Our First Lotus Bloom! Critical Popperian Ponds 2 08-08-2003 12:46 AM
Lotus Bloom BenignVanilla Ponds 23 03-08-2003 05:46 AM
2003 Lotus Pond in Bloom Nedra Ponds 9 03-07-2003 10:38 PM
Lotus question, newbie to lotus claude rogers Ponds 1 02-06-2003 05:56 PM