Old 03-03-2003, 09:43 PM
~ jan

Default Koi & Trout

How would you answer this?

Asked of me by a fellow Master Gardener, where our mottos is, "If I don't
know, I will find out" therefore.....

Jim: I have a 500 gallon pond, with a few large koi and I want to know if I
can toss a couple of trout in that I catch from the local river? Since
they'll eat while it's cold I could fatten them up before I fry them up.
Would this be a problem?

My answer: I don't know, but I'll find out.

How would you answer him rec.ponders??? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 03-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Jerrispond

can toss a couple of trout in that I catch from the local river? Since
they'll eat while it's cold I could fatten them up before I fry them up.
Would this be a problem?

Trout need cold running water....call your local dept of ag.....they can tell
you....I asked the same question, and was told the water was too warm where I
live......I am in Georgia......Jerri

Old 03-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

~ jan wrote:
How would you answer this?

Asked of me by a fellow Master Gardener, where our mottos is, "If I don't
know, I will find out" therefore.....

Jim: I have a 500 gallon pond, with a few large koi and I want to know if I
can toss a couple of trout in that I catch from the local river? Since
they'll eat while it's cold I could fatten them up before I fry them up.
Would this be a problem?

My answer: I don't know, but I'll find out.

How would you answer him rec.ponders??? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

I wouldn't want to risk the health of my koi by adding
fish caught in a local river. Might be fine for the trout
but not for the koi.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 04-03-2003, 05:03 AM
KenCo

~ jan wrote:

How would you answer this?

Asked of me by a fellow Master Gardener, where our mottos is, "If I don't
know, I will find out" therefore.....

Jim: I have a 500 gallon pond, with a few large koi and I want to know if I
can toss a couple of trout in that I catch from the local river? Since
they'll eat while it's cold I could fatten them up before I fry them up.
Would this be a problem?

1) most states require permits to keep "game fish".
most trout have "whirling disease"

2) trout need fast cool clean water. koi dont.

My answer: I don't know, but I'll find out.

How would you answer him rec.ponders??? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:10 AM
Charles

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 21:32:40 GMT, ~ jan wrote:

How would you answer this?

Asked of me by a fellow Master Gardener, where our mottos is, "If I don't
know, I will find out" therefore.....

Jim: I have a 500 gallon pond, with a few large koi and I want to know if I
can toss a couple of trout in that I catch from the local river? Since
they'll eat while it's cold I could fatten them up before I fry them up.
Would this be a problem?

My answer: I don't know, but I'll find out.

How would you answer him rec.ponders??? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

You can toss the trout in. They will die.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others

Old 05-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Gregory Young

I had trout in my farm pond.. 12 ft deep. They lasted 6 years, but died when
the water temp got up to 76 degrees one August.
I would be concerned with introduction of pests into the ornamental pond.
Plus a trout will out-swim and out-eat slower GF/Koi.
Small fry will be trout chow.
Happy ponding,
Greg
PS Jan will you be at AKCA convention in Georgia this June?

Old 05-03-2003, 09:32 PM
~ jan

I would be concerned with introduction of pests into the ornamental pond.

Thank you to Jerri, Bonnie E, KenCo, Charles, & Greg. I put all your
answers in an e-mail to him and we'll see what he does. I know if I had
told him at the time, what I felt was correct "danger to the koi's health"
he wouldn't have listened just to me. Hopefully the collective of Porg will
sway his decision in the koi's favor.... not to mention the koi are his
wife's pets and she'll probably see that e-mail before him. ;o) ~ jan

Old 05-03-2003, 10:16 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

~ jan wrote:
I would be concerned with introduction of pests into the ornamental pond.

Thank you to Jerri, Bonnie E, KenCo, Charles, & Greg. I put all your
answers in an e-mail to him and we'll see what he does. I know if I had
told him at the time, what I felt was correct "danger to the koi's health"
he wouldn't have listened just to me. Hopefully the collective of Porg will
sway his decision in the koi's favor.... not to mention the koi are his
wife's pets and she'll probably see that e-mail before him. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

I knew that you would know better than to add "strange" fish
into an established pond - good way to make a point.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 08-03-2003, 03:22 PM
GACinMass

If you do add trout to your pond, your best bet would be brown trut as they
tolerate slow or non-moving water and can withstand higher temps better than
other varieties. Still, I wouldn't recommend it.

~ Gary
Hingham, MA (where the ice is 9" thick)
Old 08-03-2003, 03:45 PM
Gregory Young

9 inch thick ice.. hope that's in your pond.. I still have ice jams in my
house gutters.. 6 inches, on top of the gutter (plus the 2 inches in the
gutter itself)! This is not a good winter!
Happy ponding,
Greg

Old 09-03-2003, 04:00 PM
Tom La Bron

Jan,

Just thought I would chime in here late to add to the conversation. The
river trout probably would not do to well if there was not significant water
movement in the 500 gallon pond (it depends on the temp conditions of the
river he got the fish from), and the temps were kept on the cooler side.
Lake trout would probably be better, but lakes where they come from are
usually pretty cool water any way.

Since he wants to put them in to the pond to fatten them up and eat them
later, the one thing that has not been mentioned is the food he will be
feeding them. The food he is feeding his KOI/Goldfish may lend a
flavor/aroma to the trout flesh once they are prepared for the table. This
is one of the big considerations that aquaculture farmers of food fish have
to deal with (which trout is one), is the flavor that may turn up, usually
because of the food, but could also come from the pond's particular
environment and this too could lend a flavor/aroma to the trout flesh once
it is clean and ready for the table.

Tom L.L.
s.com...

Old 09-03-2003, 07:12 PM
~ jan

Thanks Tom, Good points! I've sent your comments on to him.
~ jan )

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 09:57:58 -0600, "Tom La Bron"
wrote:

[...]

"~ jan" wrote in message
ws.com...
How would you answer this?

Asked of me by a fellow Master Gardener, where our mottos is, "If I don't
know, I will find out" therefore.....

Jim: I have a 500 gallon pond, with a few large koi and I want to know if

can toss a couple of trout in that I catch from the local river? Since
they'll eat while it's cold I could fatten them up before I fry them up.
Would this be a problem?

My answer: I don't know, but I'll find out.

How would you answer him rec.ponders??? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

How to make a trout explode? Nomen Nescio United Kingdom 24 02-05-2004 12:15 AM
Trout lily is a fishy name Darren Garrison Gardening 14 12-04-2004 08:02 AM
trout lilies Keith Nuttl Gardening 6 10-04-2004 03:32 PM
trout lilies Keith Nuttl Gardening 0 06-04-2004 08:55 PM
Trout? Phil1Julie Ponds 2 24-05-2003 04:45 PM