Old 15-07-2003, 06:22 AM
Nedra

Default sonic device work?

I think he's talking about the sawed-off 12 barrel like I have.
The deputy told me to buy it several years ago when we had
a spate of bugarlies. It's the one I shot the house with.

This is the gun the deputies carry in their vehicles - Legal in
Missouri.

Nedra

"John Rutz" wrote in message

Unless your an excellent marksman, a short barrel shotgun is the
preferred weapon. A discussion in another newsgroup about home security
came up with that as "the ultimate point and shoot weapon".

For "Varmits" a small bore gun will do, as the sound of the shotgun
chambering should be enough to stop any two legged night crawler in
their tracks.

-- short bareled shotguns are usualy illegal in the US

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 15-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Susan H. Simko

John Hines wrote:

Unless your an excellent marksman, a short barrel shotgun is the
preferred weapon. A discussion in another newsgroup about home security
came up with that as "the ultimate point and shoot weapon".

Even if you are an excellent *markswoman* a shotgun is still best.
*grin* Most people have never handled a gun under life threatening
circumstances so why mess with something that requires precise aim?
Besides, the range for shotgun pellets is much shorter than that of a
bullet. Less ability to pierce walls and go into neighboring houses,
etc. One of the first rules of gun handling is to always be sure of
your backstop which you can't be when you're dealing with home security
issues. (I'm now stuffing the rifle team geek back into the corner)

For "Varmits" a small bore gun will do, as the sound of the shotgun
chambering should be enough to stop any two legged night crawler in
their tracks.

My s.o.'s stepdad just got a really really nice pellet rifle for varmit
hunt'n. It's a Gamo and I got to play with it over the weekend. Really
sweet pellet rifle if you're in the market for something like that.
Darned near the power of a .22 (above caveat applies to this) with
single pump operation. Makes our multiple pump pellet rifle pale in
comparison.

Susan who classes squirrels as rats with cuter tails
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 15-07-2003, 10:33 PM
infoseeker

Well, shoot! Thanks for all the gunnin' advice! : ]

As of yet, I haven't seen the raccoons actually going through the water
barrel. At this point, i'd be shootin in the dark. Hee hee.

B-Infoseeker

Old 15-07-2003, 11:00 PM
infoseeker

Hmmm. I'm not sure what to do now. Fortunately, the coons haven't been
back (they kept coming for a while even after the fish were eaten). I added
a few tadpoles 4 days ago, and I'm getting tempted to try again with a
couple of fish.

I've added a 'hiding place' in a cement block (one with a hole), and I've
added many more plants. I can't get my water barrel to stop leaking though
at about 2/3 way up. The wood is swelling ever so slowly. (Family doesn't
want formed plastic liner). Plants are looking great, and I'd hate to have
them shredded again.

K's words about nearby pets and the sonic noise is well taken- but I don't
have confidence that the sonic things are that strong. What to do....--
besides the shotgun or other firearm route. Hey, maybe I could get some on
sale fireworks!-- but I've never actually seen them near the barrel (or at
all), except once a few weeks ago- crossing my backyard...in daylight!

"John Rutz" wrote in message

K30a wrote:
I would not use a sonic device.
Even if they did work. I always worry
about overkill and the possibility that some
poor dog will be getting the 'effects' and not
be able to get away (like the poor dog on our
street sentenced to live in a tiny concrete
run).

k30a

I had two of those sonic mole chasers in my gardens they didnt seem to
bother the dog she had a hole she slept in right by one of them
it did seem to keep the moles or gophers away though I never saw what
was doing the digging so not sure what i was

Old 17-07-2003, 02:09 AM

My DH just got my mother a BB hand gun to shoot at the deer... they are getting
completely insolent. just stand there with their tongue out when my mother hollers
at em, stamping their feet like they are going to make toe jam our of her HoneyChild
the Pom.
tree rats with good PR.
Ingrid

"Susan H. Simko" wrote:
My s.o.'s stepdad just got a really really nice pellet rifle for varmit
hunt'n.
Susan who classes squirrels as rats with cuter tails

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
High-frequency sonic device for pest control? Phisherman Gardening 2 07-08-2006 05:27 PM
Sonic Device Victor & Toni Jo Friedmann North Carolina 6 06-04-2004 09:36 PM
Sonic Device Victor & Toni Jo Friedmann North Carolina 4 06-04-2004 09:36 PM
sonic device work? OT bobkiely Ponds 3 15-07-2003 10:18 PM