Old 16-07-2003, 06:20 AM
jrock64

Default Sick Lotus brown leaves

H E L P ! !
My lotus leaves are turning brown about 3 days after they reach the surface.
No Ariels yet. About 3 inches across.

Started with tubers 3/4 by 4 inches.
Chawna Basu and Chineese Double Rose.

Planted in sand and kitty litter in a 8 gallon tub 16 in across.

approx 6 in below water surface
Full sun from 11am to 6pm

Last fertilized with one tomato spike(3/4 x 1.5) about a week ago. Pots
were started with 3 spikes each about mid May

Useing 2 Tbsp muriate of potash every other week in 2000 gal pond.

Photos are at the end of the pond album.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/jrock64rose

Pond is clear. Lillys are blooming. Even have 1 1/2 in baby
commet/fan/subunkin/fish. Lotus are dieing.

Can you burn a lotus with too much fertilizer. Spikes were stuck way on the
side of the pots.

JRock64

Old 16-07-2003, 06:21 AM
Nedra

Jrock, I don't have a clue why your lotuses are dying.
Now I will take a couple of guesses... yes, lotus can get
too much fertilizer. Mine get fed once in the spring and then
the pond gets flooded with fish pond water every week.
Too much fertilizer is just a guess. Not sure this is the problem.

I'm wondering if the sun is too strong for them. Where are
you located? It seems strange that the leaves would be green
when they first appear - only to turn brown after they are to
the surface. I'm hoping someone else posts with a definitive
answer for you.

Nedra

Old 16-07-2003, 07:07 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I looked at pics and I noticed you've got some uniform die back, in that
the body goes first than the veins of the leaf? This could be anything from
roundup or 2-4D over spray or nutrition, more likely it's nutritional, not
because they don't have enough fertilizer, but they can't utilize it due to
a high pH. If your pH isn't high (under 8.5) look for fertilizer tabs that
include iron and magnesium.

My lotus were not doing too well at first either, my lilypond was up in the
pH 9+s. I added acid to bring it down and always put a cup of diluted acid
right over (not on the leaves) the pot of the lotus. Now I have aerials, 7
buds with 3 of them open. So check your pH. ~ jan

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 02:39:36 GMT, "jrock64" wrote:

[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 16-07-2003, 07:36 AM
zookeeper

Nedra, that was my first thought as well -- the leaves look as though
they've been burned or dried out by the sun. Jrock64, have your temps
been higher than usual?
--
Kathy B

Old 17-07-2003, 12:30 AM
Wendy Kelly Budd

My lotus didn't do well it's first year. Planted it in early spring, it
grew slightly, then at the end of July it died. Or so I thought. It came
back the next spring.

I agree, too high/low pH could be the problem. It's hard for me to tell in
the photo, but do the new leaves emerge looking all over pale? More lime
green than green? As for feeding, I read somewhere not to feed a lotus
until it has 10 or more leaves, this has worked for me. Mind you, I would
plant it in soil (unenriched regular garden soil). Does anyone else have
their lotus in sand & clay only and have a low fish load? Another thing
that comes to mind, you could remove that rock from the growing tip; it
should only be there to keep the tuber from floating until the lotus takes
root.

Very nice lilies! Is that mottled-leafed lily a Leopardess or an Albert
Greenberg? Love those leaves!

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in
school." - Albert Einstein

Old 17-07-2003, 06:01 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Does anyone else have their lotus in sand & clay only and have a low fish load?

Mine are in a 1,000 gallon pond with 5 goldfish and a few taddies that
haven't changed yet. They are potted pretty much in pure sand. Noticed I
have another bud today, 8 total with 3 open. ~ jan

Old 17-07-2003, 09:44 AM
jrock64

Yes that WAS an Albert Greenberg
Did not overwinter in my unheated basement. 45degrees year round.
Have already killed two tropicals this year.(bareroot internet ordered)
Will take anyone seriously when they say minimum water temperature 55
degrees 70 degrees for growth.
That was about 3 weeks ago in my neck of the woods.
Mid May was way too soon.

Back to the lotus. All the leaves have always been a lime green in color.
Do not know what color they should be.
Started out about dime size with each new leaf about 25% larger than the
last.

Zone 4 NW Iowa
Temps in the low 90's
PH 8.5 to 9+

I thought that lillys and lotus would take all the sun you could give them.

Dug for the fertilizer spike and could find no trace of it before the clay
clouded over the water.

Leaves seem to be turning brown now as soon as they unroll at the surface.

JRock64