Old 21-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Wilson

Default Unethical business practices.....

Wilson, you didn't say that at anytime in this thread, except for the

theory
in your original post:

"I imagine she was doing is charging me for a roll of liner and cutting my
piece from it."

Did she say she was getting you a roll, or did you imagine that? I am
confused.

BV.

We agreed she would get a price on a 4x8....I then ASS U ME d that she was
probably getting a roll for herself and cutting my piece off of that.

~Wilson~

Old 21-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Wilson

Snooze wrote in message
thlink.net...
Wilson, sorry my friend, but I fail to see what was unethical in what she
did. Yes it's crummy that she took two weeks to reply back to you. But

let's
face it, special order items are pretty low on the priority list of things

store owner must worry about.

Admittedly it only takes 10 minutes to fax/email/call the supplier and ask
about the price of a custom liner, and she should have had the price ready
for you in a day or two. Let's pretend she was extremely agressive in her
attempt to find a cheaper supplier for a single order liner, how much

profit
would she have made? Compare that to the time and resources she spent
looking for that, rather then just calling her standard supplier and

asking
them for the price on it.

Given the standard retail markup is 2 times wholesale, if custom cut liner
is $32 (including shipping), retail would be about $64, given it's a niche
product in a specialty shop, the markups are higher, so $90 is reasonable.

Go to http://maps.yahoo.com and look at where justliners is located.
35507B Clearpond Road, Shawnee, OK 74801
I bet justliners doesn't have, the lease overhead that your local store
does.

When you go on vacation, and visit an amusement park, the t-shirts sold
there are often about $25 each. Old Navy sells t-shirts, 3 for $10. Do you
consider that unethical?

No, and I'll tell you why....I can find many stores that sell shirt (even
t-shirts) that sell for $25+ but I'll bet you can't find one place that
sells a 4x8 liner for $96. Unless of course you come to my hometown. I
don't mind paying the industry average even if it's high. Are you talking
t-shirts for $3.33? I don't recall seeing Six Flags selling plain
t-shirts....what I do see them is selling t-shirts with iron on type
advertisement of their business, that's like comparing apples to oranges.
All this lady did was make a call and didn't alter the product in any way.

The lesson to be learnt here is America is based on
a free market economy, if someone wants to sell liners for $100 they can,
you can buy it, or you can find someone else to sell you the same item for
less.

Sameer

I don't know....I've checked around found the price I paid is the low end of
average, I just find the price she quoted hard to digest. I consider jacking
up the price that high and preying on people that don't know better,
unethical. You can give examples all day long of businesses that border on
that gray area but I think her making what amounts to be a $50+ phone call
is just a bit out of line.

If you don't want to call it unethical that's fine....but I'm going to.

~Wilson~

Old 21-07-2003, 06:52 PM
BenignVanilla

"Wilson" wrote in message
snip
I don't know....I've checked around found the price I paid is the low end

of
average, I just find the price she quoted hard to digest. I consider

jacking
up the price that high and preying on people that don't know better,
unethical. You can give examples all day long of businesses that border

on
that gray area but I think her making what amounts to be a $50+ phone

call
is just a bit out of line.

If you don't want to call it unethical that's fine....but I'm going to.

snip

Sounds like you have never bought a new car. *laugh* Clearly, we are talking
semantics here, but I think you lost some of us with the supposition of the
retailer buying a roll and charging you for a piece. That was an assumption,
not fact. You found someone with awful prices, and slow response time. What
this tells me is one of two things 1) it is an awfully run business and will
soon disappear or 2) they did not have the product, and it would be too
expensive for them to get it, so instead of turning you away, she made the
deal unattractive so you would walk away.

BV.

Old 21-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Wilson

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
"Wilson" wrote in message
snip
[...]

You could be right....she was quick to get off the phone as soon as I called
her on the price differential but she is marketing herself as a
landscape/pond supplier so....shrug....as he pulls away in his new 2003
Dodge Pickup. :P

How much do I owe you for the plants btw? $200-300?

~Wilson~

Old 21-07-2003, 06:54 PM
BenignVanilla

"Wilson" wrote in message
snip
You could be right....she was quick to get off the phone as soon as I

called
her on the price differential but she is marketing herself as a
landscape/pond supplier so....shrug....as he pulls away in his new 2003
Dodge Pickup. :P

How much do I owe you for the plants btw? $200-300?

I worked for a software company years ago that called to do an upgrade for a
client. The client was a total pain, and the project was destined to fail
for political and technical reasons. Our company put a bid in that no-one
would accept. The CEO felt it was better to be priced out, then to do it and
fail or to say, "No" to a customer. In some ways, a respectable solution.
The bad news...they took the bid without squabble. The good news...we did
the project, with money and time to spare.

As for the plants...I have been so busy I have not gotten it done, and I am
on vacation starting Thursday. If I can get them done before then, I will
send them out. If not, next week I promise.

BV.

Old 21-07-2003, 09:26 PM
Wilson

I worked for a software company years ago that called to do an upgrade for

client. The client was a total pain, and the project was destined to fail
for political and technical reasons. Our company put a bid in that no-one
would accept. The CEO felt it was better to be priced out, then to do it

and
fail or to say, "No" to a customer. In some ways, a respectable solution.
The bad news...they took the bid without squabble. The good news...we did
the project, with money and time to spare.

I won't respond to that until after you send the plants...LOL....maybe not
at all actually

As for the plants...I have been so busy I have not gotten it done, and I

am
on vacation starting Thursday. If I can get them done before then, I will
send them out. If not, next week I promise.

BV.

I'm in no hurry, just changing the subject on ya.

~Wilson~

Old 22-07-2003, 04:10 AM

In , on 07/21/03
at 10:28 AM, "BenignVanilla"
said:

Our U-Haul place does not sell nor install them. I finally found a shop
in Randallstown, MD that sells hitchs and had one in stock for my van.
The wifey-poo is picking it up today.

Do you live somewhere near Randallstown?

Alan

**** Please use address ) to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Old 22-07-2003, 03:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"Wilson" wrote in message

[...]

I swear I am trying...work has been busy this week, and we're planning our
yearly camping trip which starts Thursday...and Nedra is on my butt about
pictures of Lotus...and I have to start digging my next pond...and I need a
haircut...I promise soon...

BV.

Old 22-07-2003, 03:12 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
ganews.com...
In , on 07/21/03
at 10:28 AM, "BenignVanilla"
said:

Our U-Haul place does not sell nor install them. I finally found a shop
in Randallstown, MD that sells hitchs and had one in stock for my van.
The wifey-poo is picking it up today.

Do you live somewhere near Randallstown?

Just a short drive, yes.

BV.