Old 17-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Wilson

Default Unethical business practices.....

I recently bought a 5.5' x 15' liner from justliners.com to build my
waterfall and was pleased to say the least with the price($23.95 + shipping
$8.00 UPS), it was delivered in approx. 4 days and the quality is more than
I expected.

A week or two before I visited my local (I wouldn't call them a pond supply
store), more of a rock/paver/statuary/but we also order pond supplies from
Aquascape kind of place....went in and asked her to get me prices on a
liner,pump and rocks.....2 weeks later! she calls me back after I already
had finished my waterfall and gives me prices on a liner: 4'x8'
45mil-$96.00!! I told her basically that she had rocks in her head and that
I now understood why nobody even knew of this place even though it had been
open since last October....and that she would never get a dime from me. What
I imagine she was doing is charging me for a roll of liner and cutting my
piece from it.

What I've learned so far about buying supplies for ponds is you must look
around, most places prices are way out of wack on most thing...example: I
visited a pond supplier in a nearby town that carried barley(my mom wanted
me to pick her up some for her pond) $45.00 for what amounted to a 1/2
pillow size bag of barley! Unreal.

I've only checked a few places and websites so far but I'd have to say that
justliners.com is probably the best and cheapest place to go.

My .02 Just felt like venting....sorry, we now return you to your regular
programming.

~Wilson~

Old 17-07-2003, 09:12 PM
joe

Wilson wrote:

What I've learned so far about buying supplies for ponds is you must look
around, most places prices are way out of wack on most thing...example: I
visited a pond supplier in a nearby town that carried barley(my mom wanted
me to pick her up some for her pond) $45.00 for what amounted to a 1/2
pillow size bag of barley! Unreal.

I've only checked a few places and websites so far but I'd have to say that
justliners.com is probably the best and cheapest place to go.

Yup. Caveat emptor. It's amazing to me that in an age when you can find
pretty much the best price on any item (even after shipping) on the
internet, people are still willing to just plunk down their hard earned cash
for over priced stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe

Old 17-07-2003, 11:48 PM
*muffin*

of, course there are people who will pay that much!!!
they are the ones who think they are too good to step inside a k-mart! &
only do their shopping in high-priced stores
(I just cannot get over some people would rather pay $50. for a blender HERE
than $25 for the same one at k-mart........

Old 18-07-2003, 01:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"joe" wrote in message
Wilson wrote:

[...]

I was thinking about this thread last night, as I was shopping on line. I
need a hitch for my mini-van, and I need it fast. I can get a good deal
on-line, but I don't think they can ship it fast enough, so I may be faced
with doing it brick and mortar style, with nasal style payments. It occurred
to me last night, when I was surfing, that sometimes, those on-line deals
are just out of reach.

BV.

Old 18-07-2003, 05:22 PM
PlainBill

I'd like to point out a few things you perhaps failed to consider.
Your local place most likely does not stock pond liner. To fill your
request, she would have to special order a roll of material, then keep
the balance on hand until another buyer came along. All the while she
has the money tied up in inventory, AND the remainder of the roll
taking up space in the stockroom. This is why I seldom ask a business
to special order items. If they hope to hope to stay in business,
they must charge you for the cost of the item, plus the time it takes
to locate it, plus the shipping, plus their normal markup.

I also disagree with your title - there is nothing unethical in a
shopkeeper trying to make a profit. If she doesn't, she won't be in
business very long.

That said, there is no excuse for taking two weeks to call you with
the price.

PlainBill

Old 18-07-2003, 05:52 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

"joe" wrote in message
Wilson wrote:

[...]

Just go get one, at a local place that also installs them. Unless your
really mechanical, don't risk your life. Don't forget that you'll need
to have an electrical hook up for the trailer lights.

The place by me is a small shop, selling nothing but hitches, for over
20 years, I got one installed on my car as a teen so I could haul stuff
for the family vacation.

Old 18-07-2003, 06:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Hines" wrote in message
snip
Just go get one, at a local place that also installs them. Unless your
really mechanical, don't risk your life. Don't forget that you'll need
to have an electrical hook up for the trailer lights.

The place by me is a small shop, selling nothing but hitches, for over
20 years, I got one installed on my car as a teen so I could haul stuff
for the family vacation.

I have a friend that will professionally install it for me, but I need to
buy it first. I will probably never tow anything with it. I just want to put
one of those shelves on the back for camping.

I can't find a local hitch place. Any thoughts on how to find one?

BV.

Old 18-07-2003, 06:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
"John Hines" wrote in message
snip
Just go get one, at a local place that also installs them. Unless your
really mechanical, don't risk your life. Don't forget that you'll need
to have an electrical hook up for the trailer lights.

The place by me is a small shop, selling nothing but hitches, for over
20 years, I got one installed on my car as a teen so I could haul stuff
for the family vacation.

I have a friend that will professionally install it for me, but I need to
buy it first. I will probably never tow anything with it. I just want to

put
one of those shelves on the back for camping.

I can't find a local hitch place. Any thoughts on how to find one?

Gave it one more try, and found a hitch not to far away. I will pick it up
Monday!

BV.

Old 18-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Aaron Friesen

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
"John Hines" wrote in message
snip
Just go get one, at a local place that also installs them. Unless your
really mechanical, don't risk your life. Don't forget that you'll need
to have an electrical hook up for the trailer lights.

The place by me is a small shop, selling nothing but hitches, for over
20 years, I got one installed on my car as a teen so I could haul stuff
for the family vacation.

I have a friend that will professionally install it for me, but I need to
buy it first. I will probably never tow anything with it. I just want to

put
one of those shelves on the back for camping.

I can't find a local hitch place. Any thoughts on how to find one?

Two options.

First, many U-Haul places sell and install hitches. I've used them and
don't think you can beat the price by much. The installation was not a
major part of the cost either, and they did a very professional job,
using real wiring harnesses rather than just splicing in to tail-light
wires.

Second, hitches are one of those things that the vast majority of car
dealers just won't do themselves. If you have a hitch installed by a
dealer, they actually farm it out to an independent installer (and
charge your for this "service" ;^). However, I have found that they
will usually tell you who they use and many times the installer will
give you the "dealer cost" if you mention that is how you found them.

Aaron

Old 18-07-2003, 07:02 PM
skooch

Hey BV

I thought you lived around "Baltmore". From the sounds of all your
problems getting things UD think you lived the "backwoods" and a trip to
town was a weekly event and 40 miles away.

Did you ever get your potash? (0-0-50)

My local farm co-op dad (20) 5# bags on the shelf today, when I went for
mine.

If you need it what say we trade some of your Duckweed,. I can't find it
around here, every body seems to sell only Azolla.

/\/\ike

BenignVanilla wrote:
"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

"John Hines" wrote in message
. ..
snip

Old 18-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Wilson

PlainBill wrote in message
I'd like to point out a few things you perhaps failed to consider.
Your local place most likely does not stock pond liner. To fill your
request, she would have to special order a roll of material, then keep
the balance on hand until another buyer came along. All the while she
has the money tied up in inventory, AND the remainder of the roll
taking up space in the stockroom. This is why I seldom ask a business
to special order items. If they hope to hope to stay in business,
they must charge you for the cost of the item, plus the time it takes
to locate it, plus the shipping, plus their normal markup.

Actually you are wrong about me not considering those points...I did. I
kind of laughed at the logic you used.....she has pamphlets everywhere
showing the pond supplies she can order and she is promoting herself as a
pond supplier as well as landscaping supplies. I find it humerous that you
believe that she HAS to purchase liner by the roll when everyone else can
buy it from multiple places specially cut to size....I also find it funny
that you believe it to be a hinderance to her to have to hold onto the
remainder of the roll of liner with money tied up into it and taking up
space in her stockroom when she is in fact trying to run a pond supply
store! What shall she keep in her storeroom....bath and beauty supplies?

Just a thought....If I go into an auto dealership and special order an SUV
but the dealer doesn't have one in stock, does that give him the right to
order 10 more for his lot and charge me for them?

I also disagree with your title - there is nothing unethical in a
shopkeeper trying to make a profit. If she doesn't, she won't be in
business very long.

You have every right to disagree....I have every right to point out your
mistake.

She won't be in business long trying to cheat customers and lying by
ommission either.

That said, there is no excuse for taking two weeks to call you with
the price.

You are exactly right, even before she lied to me I had made up my mind not
to do business with her....my business didn't seem important enough to her
to put down her jelly dougnut and make a few simple calls.

~Wilson~

Old 18-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Kelly E Jones

In article ,
Wilson wrote:

I also disagree with your title - there is nothing unethical in a
shopkeeper trying to make a profit. If she doesn't, she won't be in
business very long.

You have every right to disagree....I have every right to point out your
mistake.

She won't be in business long trying to cheat customers and lying by
ommission either.

Look, you asked for a quote, and she gave you one. Granted, the quote
was way high, and late. That doesn't make her unethical, though it
probably makes her a bad businessperson. She has the right to charge
anything she wants; you have the right to accept or decline the offer.
If the price is way high she's either shrewd (if someone actually
pays that price) or dumb (if it puts her out of consideration), but
in no case is it unethical. If this is unethical, so are all purveyors of
bottled water (they buy it for about $0.0001 per bottle, and sell it
for $0.99 a bottle!), pet rocks, and Windows operating systems.

There are enough businesses out there which really ARE unethical, that
we should reserve the term for them, and refrain from libeling those
who are merely incompetent.

Kelly