Old 21-07-2003, 12:04 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Snorkelling the pond...why no babies

Well, I tried it again. I put on the goggles and snorkel and cruised our
pond for about a half hour.

I highly recommend it if you can fit and if your spouse/family will not
ridicule you too much.

The koi paths make better sense from an underwater perspective!

After a few minutes, the fish just considered me a harmless giant. If I sat
still, they would come right up to my mask. The big koi look really big
from that perspective. I need to do that with an underwater camera some
time!

After the careful search, I saw a total of one small fish that is not a
gambusia. Sadly, it may have been a platy. Conclusion: there are precious
few goldfish or koi babies.

Any theories about the lack of babies, other than predation? I have not
sees clear spawning behavior...but then I have not done the night and
flashlight thing.

Jim
Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley

Old 21-07-2003, 02:49 AM
Jerrispond

Conclusion: there are preciousfew goldfish or koi babies.Any theories about
the lack of babies, other than predation? I have notsees clear spawning
behavior...but then I have not done the night andflashlight thing.

I have probably a hundred goldfish babies....and over a dozen koi
babies.....the difference this year is a HUGE amount of anacharis in all the
ponds. This gives them some place to not only lay the eggs, but for the babies
to hide. The koi babies are probably close to 2 inches now, and they still
hang around in it....The grown koi avoid it for some reason. I highly
reccomend it. It also has kept the algea to zero this year....except for a
little string algea in the goldfish pond Jerri

Old 21-07-2003, 02:56 AM
jammer

On 20 Jul 2003 23:47:16 GMT, (Jerrispond) wrote:

Conclusion: there are preciousfew goldfish or koi babies.Any theories about

the lack of babies, other than predation? I have notsees clear spawning
behavior...but then I have not done the night andflashlight thing.

I have probably a hundred goldfish babies....and over a dozen koi
babies.....the difference this year is a HUGE amount of anacharis in all the
ponds. This gives them some place to not only lay the eggs, but for the babies
to hide. The koi babies are probably close to 2 inches now, and they still
hang around in it....The grown koi avoid it for some reason. I highly
reccomend it. It also has kept the algea to zero this year....except for a
little string algea in the goldfish pond Jerri

Hi,
My neighbor had been real snooty when i was talking about a small pond
last year. (A bowl of green slime with hoards of mosquitos is what she
was expecting as she knew i wouldn't have a pump, etc) She came over
today and asked to see it. I had to wipe a grin off of my face when
she showed surprise at my clear water! HA!

I have loads of anacharis.

Old 21-07-2003, 04:16 PM
Susan H. Simko

jammer wrote:

My neighbor had been real snooty when i was talking about a small pond
last year. (A bowl of green slime with hoards of mosquitos is what she
was expecting as she knew i wouldn't have a pump, etc) She came over
today and asked to see it. I had to wipe a grin off of my face when
she showed surprise at my clear water! HA!

I think I had my current pond filled for about a week and a half when my
neighbor came over complaining that it "smelled" and the smell on her
proch was horrible. My s.o. and I went down there and sure enough, she
had a horrible smell on her porch. After about fifteen minutes of
trying to track down the origin and being 100% certain it wasn't coming
from the pond, my s.o. finally found it. The neighbor had put up a fly
trap not far from her porch and it was filled with rotting, putrid
flies. She hasn't bothered me since. *grin*

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 22-07-2003, 03:57 AM
Ann in Houston

How do you get enough anacharis to make a difference when koi are so fond of
it? I tried and it was just fruitless. The reason I don't have "natural"
filtration in the form of plants is that the fish eat them all up before
they can multiply. I had to give up and give in to hubby's "gadget
mentality" and get a uv light. I wanted to feel like I had mastered the
"balance" thing and clear my own water, but he wouldn't be patient and
couldn't see why I didn't want to just "buy" a solution. I couldn't explain
that I don't feel like a true ponder if I didn't get the water to clear
naturally. It really was moot, when the plants didn't stand a chance, but I
still wanted the koi and to him, that was the point, not the ongoing science
experiment. So, how do you still have koi and anacharis together?

Ann

Old 22-07-2003, 03:58 AM
Nedra

Ann, My anacharis is in the Veggie Filter. My solution.
Nedra

Here is my first pond....
and here is the lotus pond ..

.com...

Old 22-07-2003, 06:31 AM
infoseeker

good going! Glad you pleasantly suprised her!

No reason for her (or others) to be snotty- Life's too short. : ]

Old 22-07-2003, 06:31 AM
Mike Naime

I bought a lot of Anacharis and Hornwart torward the end of the season last
year. (First year for larger pond, 2nd year ponding) Over the winter, it
GREW while the fish where hibernating! This spring, there was a TON of
anacharis and Hornwart growing from the bottom of the pond. We think that
this gave the KOI the environment to make the babies that we thought they
where too young to produce. Now we have a ton of koi-lings. The greenery
has been eaten down somewhat, but we try to feed the outdoor fish twice a
day.

We are currently running 5 different sections in our main pond.
1 2'x8'x1' section for Water Hyacinth.
1 2'x8'x1' section for Mosaic and some other marginals.
1 main pond area 5.5'x10'x2' Full of Lillies and Koi.
1 150 gallon rubbermaid for Water lettuce. (Fed by a 500GPH pump from the
main area.)
1 650 gallon poly tank. 8' round. More Lillies and GF here. This is also
the place where the 2800GPH pump draws from.

Last winter, I just kept the main section(Koi) and the 8' round (GF) going.

rthlink.net...

Old 22-07-2003, 06:32 AM
infoseeker

"jammer" wrote in message
[...]

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Babies! - "Dendrobium Babies.jpg" 102.9 KBytes BetsyB Orchids 14 23-03-2004 09:44 PM
babies dieing John Rutz Ponds 4 30-05-2003 01:56 AM
sword babies, how to plant? M Walczak Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:17 AM
new babies molli Orchids 1 31-03-2003 02:56 AM