Old 06-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Jleag

Default Need filtration system for BIG pond - help!

Hi,

I am the proud owner of a 100 gallon pond which I have had for 10 years. I
love it and now I want to expand to a larger pond. I am building a 15' x 15' x
2' pond and need a new filtration system. Do any of you nice people reading
this have experience in this area. I am thinking about a gravity fed filtration
system to deal with the koi I would like to have in the pond. Any
thoughts you might have would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance for your
help -
Best wishes and happy ponding!! Lillie

Old 07-08-2003, 12:32 AM
RichToyBox

Several others will give info on filter systems. I have a vortex, going to
a bead filter, going to an upflow gravel filter filled with plants. If you
are doing a koi pond, I would highly recommend going deeper, installing a
bottom drain, and a skimmer. 2 feet deep is pretty shallow for koi. My big
pond is about 3.5 feet deep, and some of the koi ponds that I have seen are
8 or more feet deep.
--
RichToyBox

Old 07-08-2003, 01:32 AM
john rutz

here are some do it yourself filters on these websites

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/
http://www.fuerjefe.com
http://www.skippysstuff.com/

for koi richtoybox is right about depth, could you go longer also?
Koi need a lot of room

RichToyBox wrote:
Several others will give info on filter systems. I have a vortex, going to
a bead filter, going to an upflow gravel filter filled with plants. If you
are doing a koi pond, I would highly recommend going deeper, installing a
bottom drain, and a skimmer. 2 feet deep is pretty shallow for koi. My big
pond is about 3.5 feet deep, and some of the koi ponds that I have seen are
8 or more feet deep.

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 07-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Where do you live, Lillie? Two feet may not be deep enough to over-winter
your fish. If you're doing koi (as the others said), you "should" have at
least 3', and more is better. If you live in an intemperate area - basically
any place that has "winter", 2' will probably give you fishsickles before
Spring. A pond 15 x 15 x 2 = 3532 gallons of water and a liner requirement
of 21' x 21' (an awkward size). A pond 12 x 12 x 3 = 3391 gallons of water,
with a liner requirement of 18 x 18' (a 20' square piece of liner would work
nicely). Or a 12' x 12' x 4' = 4522 gallons with the same 20' square liner.
Filtration is SUBjective as well as OBjective. Do you want to buy or
build???

Lee

Old 09-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Jleag

Thanks Lee! I am in NJ where winter is a factor. I am building this pond
myself. And thanks to all you pond enthusiasts out there who have passed on
your fast knowledge. You are all just the best! By the way, I kept large
goldfish for 10 years in a 100 gallon pond outside (winter and everything) only
18" deep at its lowest point, and they lived through it all. Those Koi must be
the premadonnas of the fish world! Thanks again, I appreciate the help!
Lillie

Old 11-08-2003, 02:13 PM
Lee Brouillet

Well, it's not so much that they're primadonnas as much as they get BIG.
Your goldies achieve what? maybe 10"? That's what a year old koi is. And
they keep growing. I have some that are 24-26" long and still growing. Aside
from overwintering, they need the room to swim and grow. Who wants fat
fish??? They need the exercise area G!

Lee

Old 11-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Kevin Carbis

Beware of Predators! I don't know much about New Jersey but a 2' Koi
pond out here in CA would amount to nothing more than a Seafood buffet
for Racoons. A 4' depth should provide safety from both Racoons and
Herons.

Sad story; recently in the market for a new home. Walked through a
"For Sale by Owner" home in which the owner had built a concrete pond
about 18"-24" deep. She was frustrated because she had repeatedly
stocked it with goldfish, Shubunkins and baby Koi only to find them
all missing the next day.