Old 14-08-2003, 01:32 PM
rtk

Default OT virus

K30a wrote:
Joe wrote Glad (again) that I use a Mac.

Amen to that ;-)

k30a and her mac

Me too. Never had a virus work. I've sometimes had reputed viruses,
always exe files that won't open here. I've usually forwarded them to
spam, one of those that thinks it's my life's ambition to have a bigger
and bigger..........

Ruth Kazez and her mac

Old 14-08-2003, 02:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
news
Hey GrannyEast
You got it right on Norton! I keep the Anti-Virus Updated.
It's Automatically updated ... they let me know via a right hand corner
pop-up. This step is as crucial as scanning the system on a daily basis.
I have a 4 or 5 year old system. I keep it cleaned - often.
snip

OK, time to let my geekiness out here. My setup includes a 6-7 machines
networked together on a local subnet. They are all attached to the internet
via a firewall machine that runs a proxy application for outgoing sharing
and incoming virus protection, a firewall for incoming protection and an
anti-virus package. Each machine on the network is checked daily for
viruses, and the network is vigorously tested over each weekend. My firewall
does not even respond to a ping, if you are not an authorized IP. My proxy
scans all incoming/outgoing email for viruses, and quarantines any that are
suspect. The system is tuned to the point, where my firewall detected a
virus signature in an email, and blocked my access to our mail server which
is outside the firewall.

So far...so good.

BV.

Old 14-08-2003, 02:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"rtk" wrote in message ...

K30a wrote:
Joe wrote Glad (again) that I use a Mac.

Amen to that ;-)

k30a and her mac

Me too. Never had a virus work. I've sometimes had reputed viruses,
always exe files that won't open here. I've usually forwarded them to
spam, one of those that thinks it's my life's ambition to have a bigger
and bigger..........

That is a key fact that many refuse to listen to. If you don't know what the
attachment is that has been sent to you, do not open it. And for gods sake,
DO NOT EVER RUN ANY EXE SENT TO YOU BY ANYONE!!! EVER!!! I have branded this
on my wife's brain. If it's a JPG you can look at it. If it's anything else,
delete it. We have so far, to date, survived.

BV.

Old 14-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:20:42 -0400
"BenignVanilla" wrote:

"Nedra" wrote in message
[...]

Don't explain too much. There are still exploits to allow access even
right through your firewall and plenty of script kiddies out there just
waiting for a chance to damage or compromise your system(s), especially
if you think it(them) secure.
I see that you use MS Outlook Express. Do you also use Explorer? Both
of them have exploits against their code to allow plenty of bad stuff to
be done to your system. Turn off HTML in mail and groups, quickly, if
you have it enabled!

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 14-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Theo van Daele

This appears to be a variation on an old hoax

I will go to sleep and hope that morons like you will have learned the
meaning of the word hoax, or personal hygene, or whatever.

This is *not* a hoax, damnit.

You having fun eh ? Cnut.

Theo

And it's friggin Symantec, learn to spell. Don't let furriners beat
you :-)

"danrahan" schreef in bericht
This appears to be a variation on an old hoax. Ms Blast.exe appears to
be a legit file. This virus does not show up on Symantic's list.

There is an MSBlaster worm which willl exploit the existing and legit
Msblast.exe file.

I don't knwo what Msblast does, I would not remove it.

Old 14-08-2003, 03:32 PM
BenignVanilla

news:20030814084452.09476648.cyber_wizard@mindspri ng.com...
"BenignVanilla" wrote:

"Nedra" wrote in message
[...]

AS you see...I mention not my IP nor any DNS or domain info. I know when I
am ahead, and don't plan on compromising it with a dare. *laugh* I certainly
do not claim to be *secure* but, I am relatively secure. I do use both OE
and IE. Since I am an old fart purest, I do not do anything in OE except
text based posting. No HTML or scripting enabled. IE, I probably still have
some weakness with.

BV.

Old 14-08-2003, 03:33 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:23:35 -0400
"BenignVanilla" wrote:

IE, I probably still have
some weakness with.

BV.

If you have IE on your hard drive, yes, you do. Most remote exploits
start there.

Cybe R. Wizard
Old 14-08-2003, 03:33 PM
BenignVanilla

news:20030814092835.60deac17.cyber_wizard@mindspri ng.com...
"BenignVanilla" wrote:

IE, I probably still have
some weakness with.

BV.

If you have IE on your hard drive, yes, you do. Most remote exploits
start there.

True, but to date I have not seen any problems, and I have been an IE guy
since CSS came about. What version was that? 2? 3?

BV.

Old 14-08-2003, 04:09 PM
K30a

You guys sound like what my youngest son wants to be when he grows up...

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 14-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

IE, I probably still have
some weakness with.

BV.

If you have IE on your hard drive, yes, you do. Most remote
exploits start there.

True, but to date I have not seen any problems, and I have been an IE
guy since CSS came about. What version was that? 2? 3?

BV.

If, for any reason, you someday start to feel the desire to browse among
the many sites which espouse the 'hate Microsoft' theme, do it with
another browser, one that does not depend upon IE code or reference IE
in any way. Lots of those sites include malicious to IE code as a
regular thing. They will crash your browser, crash your system, or just
do other things below the table that you won't find out about until
later.

Cybe R. Wizard

Old 14-08-2003, 05:22 PM
mad

hear hear! it doesn't affect linux or unix, either. my isp has a unix server
and they run postini (virus and spam trap extraordinaire!). + i have norton
which i do liveupdate daily.
so far, so good...
mad

From: joe
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:47:12 -0700
Subject: OT virus

Glad (again) that I use a Mac.

Joe

--
Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?

Old 14-08-2003, 06:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in message
news:20030814111524.13ef1af4.cyber_wizard@mindspri ng.com...
snip
If, for any reason, you someday start to feel the desire to browse among
the many sites which espouse the 'hate Microsoft' theme, do it with
another browser, one that does not depend upon IE code or reference IE
in any way. Lots of those sites include malicious to IE code as a
regular thing. They will crash your browser, crash your system, or just
do other things below the table that you won't find out about until
later.

snip

As part of the spiritual aspects/goals of my life, I try to avoid hate, so I
should be OK. *laugh*

BV.

Old 14-08-2003, 09:44 PM
joe

wrote:

No Mac here - OS/2 and eComStation on a PC. No problem.

Wow. Now that's retro! Too cool.

Joe