Old 15-08-2003, 02:46 AM
mad

Default OT virus

i use os 9.6. works well.
mad
--
The word "bipartisan" usually means some larger-than-usual
deception is being carried out.
George Carlin

From: john rutz
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:08:32 -0600
Subject: OT virus

wrote:

No Mac here - OS/2 and eComStation on a PC. No problem.

Alan

--
Os/2 is still around?? I havent seen that it seems in years

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 15-08-2003, 02:46 AM
john rutz

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:08:32 -0600
john rutz wrote:

Not only is it still around, it's still available. There
is also an emulator for Commodore's OS that runs inside Linux. I
wouldn't doubt that there's one for OS/2 also.

Cybe R. Wizard

-- now why does that not surprise me Linux gets better an better

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 15-08-2003, 06:00 AM
Rhino

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:47:47 GMT, in rec.ponds you wrote:

Hey GrannyEast
You got it right on Norton! I keep the Anti-Virus Updated.
It's Automatically updated ... they let me know via a right hand corner
pop-up. This step is as crucial as scanning the system on a daily basis.
I have a 4 or 5 year old system. I keep it cleaned - often.

GrannyWest

"SNIP FOR BREVITY

I am still running Win98 and it isn't affected by this worm. I have had good
luck with "EZ Antivirus" as a small footprint program from Computer Associates
International. It doesn't interfer with any other programs and runs in the
background. It updates in only about 2 minutes and I have never been infected.

I use "Tiny Personal Firewall" from Tiny Software. Again it has a small impact
and really does well blocking ports before any thing gets through. I used
ZoneAlarm and BlackIce in the past but this seems to work better. In fact I
installed it in Oct 2001 and it has never needed updating or given problems.

Another program I use is called "Finjan SurfinGuard" from http://www.finjan.com/
This program is an anti-virus but it detects when something trys to run or trys
to change a setting on the sly, then stops it and lets you know. If you get
the "worm" it would block it from being able to run on your system. I think it
said that it sort of boxes in whatever it is and watches it without letting it
get to your main system. I really like it.
And finally i use a neat utility called WinPatrol. I copied this from their
website
"
WinPatrol with Scotty the Windows Watch Dog will sniff out Worms, Adware,
Spyware, Cookies, Trojan horses and other malicious, nasty programs that may
attack your computer without a need for constant updates. One Aug 11th,
WinPatrol was detecting and removing the MS Blaster worm while other software
companies scrambled to create new definition files. "

Both Finjan, Tiny personal firewall and Winpatrol are freeware. The antivirus
was $19.95 with free updates. All four of these run in the System Tray and use
very, very little resources.
rhino

See my pond
www.htcomp.net/rhino_4_good/index.htm

"Without the second ammendment, the others are just suggestions."

Old 15-08-2003, 09:07 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

john rutz wrote:

Not only is it still around, it's still available. There
is also an emulator for Commodore's OS that runs inside Linux. I
wouldn't doubt that there's one for OS/2 also.

Cybe R. Wizard

-- now why does that not surprise me Linux gets better an better

John Rutz

I tell ya, you've seen nothing until you've seen your regular Windows OS
running in a window on a Linux machine. I was flabbergasted the first
time I used VMWare. It saw my Windows drive and configuration was a
breeze, told it how much memory to use and which peripherals, bang!
Windows complete desktop, all settings correct in a sizable window on my
Linux desktop. It goes through the boot process and everything, just
like booting up a regular computer except that it's a virtual computer
made of software.
But I'm not here to proselytize, folks, back to ponding! Or virii, or
whatever it is today. ;-]

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 15-08-2003, 03:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in message
news:20030815024434.113524bb.cyber_wizard@mindspri ng.com...
snip
I tell ya, you've seen nothing until you've seen your regular Windows OS
running in a window on a Linux machine. I was flabbergasted the first
time I used VMWare. It saw my Windows drive and configuration was a
breeze, told it how much memory to use and which peripherals, bang!
Windows complete desktop, all settings correct in a sizable window on my
Linux desktop. It goes through the boot process and everything, just
like booting up a regular computer except that it's a virtual computer
made of software.
But I'm not here to proselytize, folks, back to ponding! Or virii, or
whatever it is today. ;-]

snip

I won't engage the MS sucks, Linux is great topic, as I think they are both
great, and both have a place. I will say however, that if we put Linux on
90% of the desktops in the world, we'd be reading about the latest virus to
hit linux. Any system can be compromised. The statistics are just a bit
skewed because we have so many winders systems out there.

BV.

Old 15-08-2003, 10:36 PM

In om, on 08/14/03
at 10:24 PM, "Cybe R. Wizard" said:

Os/2 is still around?? I havent seen that it seems in years

John Rutz

Not only is it still around, it's still available. I saw a link to a
site just the other day where it was available for free download.
Sorry, I don't recall what it was but I'm sure Google can find it. There
is also an emulator for Commodore's OS that runs inside Linux. I
wouldn't doubt that there's one for OS/2 also.

Not free, but the latest is for sale by Serenity Systems at
www.ecomstation.com. Take a look.

Alan

**** Please use address alanh(at)min.net to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Old 17-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:30:45 -0400
"BenignVanilla" wrote:

I won't engage the MS sucks, Linux is great topic, as I think they are
both great, and both have a place. I will say however, that if we put
Linux on 90% of the desktops in the world, we'd be reading about the
latest virus to hit linux. Any system can be compromised. The
statistics are just a bit skewed because we have so many winders
systems out there.

BV.

Yes, there's a place for numerous OSs and they each have their strengths
and weaknesses. That said, there will never be as many exploits for
*nix (whatever type or version) just because it's so danged hard to
compromise the system. Unix (and therefore all Unix clones) was built
from the ground up to be a secure networking system, not a stand-alone
personal computing environment. Microsoft, OTOH, was designed to be a
stand-alone unit for personal use, not tied to other computers. The
internet came along as a surprise phenomenon and Windows has been trying
to adapt their technology to that ever since. They have come a long way
with Windows XP, I understand, toward stability and interoperability,
but still lag behind in security.

Cybe R. Wizard