Old 14-08-2003, 11:11 PM
K30a

Default powerless ponders in the East

Am watching TV and seeing seas of people on the streets of
NYC. My goodness, what a big power outage! When you get your
power back on, any rec.ponders have a story to tell?
Stay cool...

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Old 14-08-2003, 11:11 PM
Anne Lurie

I just saw this news, and it brings back unpleasant memories of a blackout
we experience while living in Queens back in the summer of 1977 (I think
that was the year).

We were at least fortunate enough to live in a row house, so we had water,
unlike some people in high-rise buildings. More important, we lived in a
neighborhood where we did not have to worry about looters burning down our
house or businesses; many people were not nearly so fortunate.

There must have been thousands & thousands of people on subways at the time.
The trains have A/C, but the stations don't (or didn't in the 80's) --
also, people could have several sets of stairs to climb, and that's assuming
that the train was at a station rather than caught between two stations.
Actually, come to think of it, those poor souls may still be stuck on the
trains, since the doors may not have opened, and the is the HUGE risk of
being electrocuted by the third rail (electrified) if the power should
suddenly go back on, even for a few seconds.

Aaargh, I just remembered that the kids just moved to Detroit -- and the
power's out there, too!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 14-08-2003, 11:11 PM
joe

K30a wrote:

Am watching TV and seeing seas of people on the streets of
NYC. My goodness, what a big power outage! When you get your
power back on, any rec.ponders have a story to tell?
Stay cool...

Wow, I looked that up on CNN.com. What a mess.

Several years ago I lived in the San Joaquin valley in central California.
It was about 110 Fahrenheit when the big outage hit; I forget how many
states were affected. We had several families visiting us, many with
children, so we though we'd better go get some bottled water, ice for the
cooler, etc. We went four places before we found a place that would let us
in the door and that was a service station. We grabbed what we needed, but
the person at the cash register wouldn't let us pay because, of course, the
register didn't work.

(Normally, this is where I break into my old fogy routine about how come
kids can't make simple change in their heads, but you've probably all heard
it in some form or another)

We finally convinced them to figure it out on paper, but he couldn't quite
get it right. So we figured it out for him (including some non-whole number
for tax which blew him away) but he wasn't sure we weren't ripping him off.
We got him to believe in our integrity, but by then he couldn't make the
actual change. We offered to just pay to the next higher dollar, but he was
quite worried that when everything came back on, he wouldn't balance.

In the end, we had about 5 people, all in the same situation. We added up
all of our bills, managed to make the right amount for the clerk, accepted
close enough amongst ourselves and left with the stuff - good thing too, the
power was off for about 3 days.

Joe

Old 15-08-2003, 04:48 AM

at the moment I was waving goodbye to my DH as he climbed onto the train to NY the
lights went out. Amtrak reassures me that if they hit the Detroit area and the
electricity isnt back on they will just stop the train and wait until the juice comes
back on so the signal lights and the crossing gates work. In the meantime my In Laws
are sitting in the dark in New Paltz, NY. DH was out in the boonies of Utah last
spring, and I did pack him a LOT of food for the trip. Ingrid

joe wrote:

K30a wrote:

Am watching TV and seeing seas of people on the streets of
NYC. My goodness, what a big power outage! When you get your
power back on, any rec.ponders have a story to tell?
Stay cool...

Wow, I looked that up on CNN.com. What a mess.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 15-08-2003, 06:00 AM
mad

i get WNBC via satellite, and they're saying that nearly everyone is out of
the trains by now. my sister lives in upper manhattan and works in new
jersey. i wonder if she will get home tonight. what a place.
mad
--
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?

Old 15-08-2003, 06:00 AM
NJ

"K30a" wrote in message

Am watching TV and seeing seas of people on the streets of
NYC. My goodness, what a big power outage!

I live in the Cleveland, Ohio metro area; we were without power for 5 hours.
It was manageable, but at the time, of course, we had no idea how long the
power would be off and rumors were rampant. We were told it could take 2-3
days at one point, and I was frantic. We were also told to conserve water,
unplug all appliances, etc. I have two freezers full of food, so I was very
concerned. Not to mention the FRY EXPERIMENT tank which was without
aeration the whole time. Everyone and everything is fine, now. Naturally,
when it first happened, we assumed it was local. When the news came on that
NYC was without power, and then NJ, MI, OH, CT, VT...I have to admit that I
was very frightened of terrorist origins. Thankfully, we are all breathing
easier (and COOLER--we hit 90 today and had put the A/C on for the first
time in a month!) now.

NJ

Old 15-08-2003, 06:00 AM
K30a

NJ wrote I live in the Cleveland, Ohio metro area; we were without power for
5 hours

I think many of us first thought it was
terrorist related.
How things have changed from prior to 9/11.
Glad you made it through!

Old 15-08-2003, 06:00 AM

SO, We have taken utilities forgranted. We should learn to live with less.
Cook on Gas grills, Ride bikes. Store non perishable foods.

LIVE

Old 15-08-2003, 06:00 AM
jammer

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:53:44 -0400, Rich wrote:

SO, We have taken utilities forgranted. We should learn to live with less.
Cook on Gas grills, Ride bikes. Store non perishable foods.

LIVE

Not in Texas! Not Me!

Old 15-08-2003, 06:00 AM
FBCS

Last year my microwave went out, you should have seen us, we didn't know
what to do. Things as simple as heating up a baby bottle or water for tea,
just to heat something up was a chore. We actually had to cook like ten
years ago. What we take for granted is right.

Old 15-08-2003, 06:00 AM
FBCS

Can you imagine all those ponders outside on their hands and knees with a
tube blowing air into their ponds? Flasbacks of the thread of aeration......

Old 15-08-2003, 06:00 AM
Benign Vanilla

"NJ" wrote in message
snip
I have two freezers full of food, so I was very
concerned. Not to mention the FRY EXPERIMENT tank which was without
aeration the whole time.

snip

Spoken like a true PORG.

BV.

Old 15-08-2003, 06:02 AM
NJ

"K30a" wrote in message

[...]

Building a list of rec.ponders BenignVanilla Ponds 31 14-11-2003 04:22 PM
Oregon Ponders - Frog Question Dave Thompson Ponds 2 11-03-2003 05:59 AM
For the older ponders... ~ jan Ponds 25 05-02-2003 06:36 PM
Old Ponders ... Full Spectrum Lighting D K Ponds 11 30-01-2003 10:39 PM
For the older ponders...In Defense of Psychology! D Kat Ponds 0 27-01-2003 09:10 PM