Old 28-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Peggy

Default lotus bloom

I was so excited. Been ponding 3rd year now and this year decided to try
lotus. It is a dwarf variety not expensive. It finally sent up a bud and
took forever to open. It was a tight partially open 1st day 2nd day it was
just beautiful to look then on the 3rd day strong winds blew it right off
the plant. So glad I took a picture. . . the snow will probably fly before
it sends up another bud this late in the season. But there is always next
year. Read in an issue of a pond magazine that some can be overwintered at
the bottom of the pond. I'm in zone 5 anyone up this far ever try it??

Old 28-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Nedra

That is exciting! First blooms always are... Is your
lotus hardy? What is the name of your lotus? Many
are advertised in the various catalogs as being hardy.
This means to zone 4! I don't know about putting it
in the bottom of your pond.. that will depend on
if it is hardy or not.

Nedra

Old 28-08-2003, 05:34 AM
EliezerE

I have spoken to several people here in Chicago, Zone 5, who have kept Lotuses
in their ponds over the winter by lowering them to the bottom of the pond, 2.5
feet down. I'm myself am going to try to keep the bigger tubers in a pan of
cold mud over the winter. Never done it before, though.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Peggy

Hi Nedra As you can see I don't get to look at rec ponds often. I believe
it's spelled NELUMBO or something close to that. The tag is in the shed so
I'll pull it out and check and if I'm wrong, I'll repost to you. A magazine
article said they open and close within hours but the 1st day that it was
open fully, it never closed and then got blown off the plant the next day so
I believe that magazine article wasn't pertaining to all varieties of lotus
but a specific family. In any event, I doubt I'll see another flower this
year so when the leaves die off, what have I got to lose sinking it to the
deep end.
nk.net...

Old 03-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Nedra

Hi Peggy,

That would be the Genus ... the general heading for
Lotuses. I imagine it is a hardy. So go ahead and
sink it to the bottom of your pond. In the early
spring bring it up and before growth starts you can
divide it. If it needs dividing, that is. It will begin
to sprout in early April ... at least that is the norm
around here... this past spring was not Normal!
Good Luck!

Nedra

"Peggy" wrote in message
Hi Nedra As you can see I don't get to look at rec ponds often. I believe
it's spelled NELUMBO or something close to that. The tag is in the shed

so
I'll pull it out and check and if I'm wrong, I'll repost to you. A

magazine
article said they open and close within hours but the 1st day that it was
open fully, it never closed and then got blown off the plant the next day

so
I believe that magazine article wasn't pertaining to all varieties of

lotus
but a specific family. In any event, I doubt I'll see another flower this
year so when the leaves die off, what have I got to lose sinking it to the
deep end.
nk.net...

"Peggy" wrote in message
[...]

Trailing Lotus-2254 (Lotus berthelotii) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 0 16-09-2012 08:23 AM
Lotus Bloom BenignVanilla Ponds 23 03-08-2003 05:46 AM
2003 Lotus Pond in Bloom Nedra Ponds 9 03-07-2003 10:38 PM
Lotus' second bloom crooked? Wendy Kelly Budd Ponds 11 03-07-2003 03:56 PM
Lotus question, newbie to lotus claude rogers Ponds 1 02-06-2003 05:56 PM