Old 30-08-2003, 03:03 AM
PJGolden1

Default Clawfoot Bathtub Ponds

I'm trying to convince my husband to let me have a relative's clawfoot bathtup
to create a pond under our covered patio.

He thinks I'm nuts.....I think he's without vision...

Anyway, after doing a google search, I kept finding the term "bog" coming up.
Is there a book that anyone could reccommend about bog ponds so I can find out
what type of plants/fish that I could put in it? And also what type of
filtration do I need with it? I am truly a newbie at this but I'm afraid that
if I don't jump at the tub chance, then I won't get it, and if I do get it,
then I won't get the right equipment to set the tub up.

Thanks,
Paula
Old 30-08-2003, 03:42 AM
K30a

In the general sense bog is used to describe an area of the pond full to the
brim with marginal plants. These are plants with their feet underwater and
their foliage above water, like water iris, cattails and reeds. Water moves
freely in and out of this area.

In the real sense a bog is an area full of marginal plants which has no water
movement. The soil in a bog is more acid and it smells yukky. You probably
don't want a bog. I have a bog. You certainly don't want a labrador covered in
bog mud.

You have to know what kind of bog the webpages are talking about.

You can fill a clawfooted tub (which will be really cool!) all the way to the
top with water. Any marginal plants can sit up on bricks.
Lilies sit on the bottom and floaters float on the top.
You can put in a small fountain. The bell shaped fountain works best with
lilies.
As for fish I'd put in a couple rosie red minnows. They are fearless and very
active.
Or a couple fancy goldfish if your 'pond' will be safe from raccoons.
Just a few fish and lots of plants with fountain and you are set.
Don't even need a filter.
But you can build a filter around your pump. Someone will post that.

good luck and we'd love to hear how your project goes!

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 30-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Sue Walsh

(PJGolden1) wrote in message
I'm trying to convince my husband to let me have a relative's clawfoot bathtup
to create a pond under our covered patio.

He thinks I'm nuts.....I think he's without vision...

Paula,
Here are a couple of Pix of a tub watergarden that I saw on an EcoTour
of Tampa a year ago. It's not exactly what your talking about but may
give you some ideas. It's not a claw foot which would be awesome in
my oponion! Also it's out in a garden surrounded by other plants, and
a little over grown, but take a look anyway. I'm sure yours will be
so much nicer. Since the pix are not of my garden I'll leave them up
for a few days only, so download them if you want to reference them
for later.

Sue W

See "Water Tub" and my pond pix "Rippling Waters" at

http://community.webshots.com/user/aspenjd
Old 30-08-2003, 05:02 PM
PJGolden1

You're right, I don't want the yucky smell. Especially since it will right
close to the house.

Thanks for the plant and fish ideas, I've saved them for when the time comes.
I don't have any animal worries except for a golden retriever that is pretty
ticked that we took down his 16x32 above ground pool last year. He thought it
was for his own use so I've been hesitant about a pond because I know what's
going to happen .

I have been watching the threads though on how to deal with herons and such.
My only problem is in my dream pond, I'd want to attract them. We have some
of the most beautiful ones around here and it even gets better when they
overwinter here (Gulf coast).

Thanks for the help and when I get it done, I'll definately post pics.

Paula
Old 30-08-2003, 05:02 PM
PJGolden1

Thanks for the pictures. I definately need to see pictures. I can kinda
visualize what I want, but then it leaves me.

I loved the "first fish in the pond" picture. I think that's the kind I should
probably start out with!

Thanks,
Paula

Old 31-08-2003, 01:02 AM
RichToyBox

There was a vendor at the Mid-Atlantic Koi Club's Koi America 2003 by the
name of willow pond aqua farms fountains. They had a claw foot bath tub
with a very decorative piping scheme as a fountain. They donated it to the
club for auction. If I had the truck at the show, I would have owned it.
It was neat. I tried to find a web site to see if they had pictures but no
luck on finding a site. They had the drain plumbed to a pump, and the pump
discharge went to the hot and cold water valves, then through a shower tube
for elevation, then it went in various maze like patterns. The plumbing was
painted pink and purple and green. I now have to try to figure out how to
plumb one. I have an old tub being saved for me. It will go in the front
yard as a piece of statuary. Might try to use it for a koi nursery for next
years fry.
--
RichToyBox

Old 02-09-2003, 02:02 AM
LRobi31070

Just thought I would offer my experience with the clawleg bathtub pond. A lady
who sells pets had 3 in her yard. THey were dirty and mossy, but plants and
fish lived in them. they had no filtration. Anyway, i built my mom one
complete with waterfall, filter, pump, etc. After we used rubber boots to stop
the holes from leaking, the whole tub started rusting on the inside. The ph
went crazy and the fish lost their colors. The plants died and it was a
disaster. Needless to say, i dug it up and redid it. Just wanted to tell you ,
you might want to line the tub or do something diffrent than i did. Lou Ann
Old 02-09-2003, 05:33 AM
PJGolden1

Was yours in the ground?

I planned on keeping mine above ground. But I could still see rusting a
problem that I hadn't thought about.

Anyone else have trouble with rusting?

Thanks,
Paula
Old 02-09-2003, 09:34 PM
dt

PJGolden1 wrote:

Was yours in the ground?

I planned on keeping mine above ground. But I could still see rusting a
problem that I hadn't thought about.

Anyone else have trouble with rusting?

Thanks,
Paula

One of the ponds on the Austin Pond Society tour this summer had an old
clawfoot bathtub set up as an upflow veggie filter, with the pouroff
becoming a waterfall to the main pond. I'll see if I can find the
pictures; may take a coupla days.

Dale

Old 04-09-2003, 08:03 PM
dt

One of the ponds on the Austin Pond Society tour this summer had an old
clawfoot bathtub set up as an upflow veggie filter, with the pouroff
becoming a waterfall to the main pond. I'll see if I can find the
pictures; may take a coupla days.

And here they are!
http://tinyurl.com/lk8b/tub

Small versions and larger versions, depending on your speed/how long
you're willing to wait.

Pond is in south Austin, Texas.

Dale