Old 03-10-2003, 11:32 AM
pixi

Default Waterfall, None performing!

My pond is finished, almost. The waterfall is beautiful when it is doing
what it's supposed to do. But....

The water went down the falls a foot or two and then went behind it. The
landscaper, instead of rebuilding the falls, put a bunch of foam around and
said that would take care of the problem. And it did.

For two days!! Now the foam is shrinking back from the rock and the water
is going behind again. Can anyone think of a cure other than concrete. And
if I have to use concrete, how can I color it so that it doesn't look like
concrete.

I could cry!!

It is such a purty waterfall when the water is going where it should.

Pixi

Old 03-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Cement can be colored and algae can grow to hide it. But your contractor
has an obligation to you. A leaking waterfall is no waterfall at all..to
pay for! They are hard to keep from leaking. We have edpm behind the
rocks. No leaks.

Good luck.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley

Old 03-10-2003, 12:12 PM
pixi

Thank you. I have EPDM behind the rocks also, but you can't see water going
behind the rocks.

I do not know whether this landscaper will come back or not. He has been
paid and I find that often that is the end of it as far as the contractor is
concerned. He is supposed to come back but who knows?

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message .. .
Cement can be colored and algae can grow to hide it. But your contractor

Old 03-10-2003, 03:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"pixi" wrote in message
My pond is finished, almost. The waterfall is beautiful when it is doing
what it's supposed to do. But....

The water went down the falls a foot or two and then went behind it. The
landscaper, instead of rebuilding the falls, put a bunch of foam around

and
said that would take care of the problem. And it did.

For two days!! Now the foam is shrinking back from the rock and the water
is going behind again. Can anyone think of a cure other than concrete.

And
if I have to use concrete, how can I color it so that it doesn't look like
concrete.

I could cry!!

It is such a purty waterfall when the water is going where it should.

If I could be so bold...if in the end you do not get satisfaction, I suggest
you post the name of your pond installer, since I am sure many people would
be interested in his name when considered future projects. *wink wink*

BV.

Old 03-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Gareee©

I was wondering what happened when you mentioned this a few weeks ago. We
have a "waterfall" that was out in front of our house (actually it's a
runoff for the mountain, and a overflow for a water tower)

a large amount of the water goes behind the rocks our contractor put down
(WAY too large for me to even THINK of moving by myself) and a few people
here mentioned trying the foam to fill in the gaps. I asked if would work on
something this scale, and got no replies.

When it's working as we thought it would it's GREAT! a few hundred gallons a
hour going about 15-18 feet down right outside out front door. When it's not
going right, most of it flows behind, and comes out about 80% down the
rockfall.. disappointing.

Only thing I can think of now is moving what rock I can, and filling the
gaps with quickrete, and then replacing the rocks on top of that.

Long term erosion is a consideration, but the waterfall only really runs
when we get a heavy storm, or the water tower overflows (never seen that
yet), so it might not even really be a factor.

Oh, and pumping that volume of water up there on a regular basis to make it
work isn't even a consideration!

I wish ya luck, hon!

Old 04-10-2003, 05:47 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

If your water is going behind the rocks but not lost from the pond, can you
arrange an overhang for the water so it cascades from the top to the bottom
of the falls?

Old 04-10-2003, 01:02 PM
pixi

Thank you Jim.

No, the falls is more like a cascade with the water cascading down down
about 8 shelves. It free falls about a foot from the filter to the topmost
rock slab, then cascades down the remaining shelves (which are 6 or 8 inches
thick) until the bottom shelf where it freefalls perhaps 18 inches into the
pondl. The water winds back and forth a bit . It is really pretty and I
will get pictures on line somehow when it is working right and is
landscaped.

Going out there shortly to finish covering the liner beside the falls so it
doesn't deteriorate over winter.

Thanks again.

Pixi

Old 04-10-2003, 07:02 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Pixi,

How soon was the pump turned back on after it was foamed? Perhaps it wasn't
allowed to cure long enough? Another application and longer curing time may
be the only needed fix. ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 04-10-2003, 08:22 PM
pixi

You may be right. I'll have to try that. I am hoping the landscaper will
show next week and take care of it. If not, I'll try it myself.

Thanks

Old 04-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Gareee©

"pixi" wrote in message
You may be right. I'll have to try that. I am hoping the landscaper will
show next week and take care of it. If not, I'll try it myself.

Just so you know, we went through MANY difficulties with our
grader/landscaper for our new home. A few times we almost completely
cancelled our work with him, and we were going to wait a extra month or so
before getting into our new home.

During the WORST (Read: me crying at our picnic table that was set up here,
because at onepoint they thought our grader had disrupted a natural running
water source, a violation of the Corp of Engineers, and fineable for more
then $80,000!!), our city planners came out looked at things, and
straightened them out for us. During that conversation with them, the city
planner looked at me, and told me EVERY grader/landscaper has these
problems.. it's because they balance the work they CAN get, and the work
that they CAN do, based on weather conditions. He said he'd seen some yards
not completed for over a year, and some jobs where the land had to be
covered and literally unused. One backyard setup he had seen the landscaper
had actually bulldozed too far down, and a year later, the people's house
was literally starting to slide down the side of the mountain they were on!

The quote he told me that really stuck with us though was," If he's a not a
landscaper, he's not a liar."

We're still dealing with some issues here, but for the most part, everything
is as we wanted, and we'd REALLY rather not even mess with them anymore.

There's always next spring to plan new things....

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 18-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Pinkpggy

A good landscaper should stand behind his work. If he doesn't, then pass the
word around that he doesn't. You would be amazed what word of mouth can do.
Jan
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/us.html