Old 18-11-2003, 03:42 AM
David

Default HELP /w 1500 Gallon pond! Overfeeding

We went out of town for 3 days, and the person we hired to take care
of the animals dumped a whole 25 POUNDS of Koi wheatgerm food into my
poor little 1500 gallon pond. 25 POUNDS! MY.. GOD.. how stupid could
you get!
*I was stocking up for the winter.*
Well, now its a day after we've gotten home. There is a layer of food
on the floor of the pond that even dwarfs the ammount of leaves before
we had a skimmer. The water is so incredibly filthy, I cant see to the
bottom in the gravity pond's mechanical filter! Visibility is about 3
inches. The pond water is milky *and seriously.. its like I filled the
tank with milk* white. I cant see the colors on the fish from 3 inches
of water.. I have no quarantine tank, was planning on putting one in
this spring.

The food has clogged the skimmer.. is was completely full. Thank god I
bought that auto-shutoff. Food has nearly stopped the drain pump from
working.. its pulling a measly 450 gph *while it usually pulls about
2500 GPH* The pond aerorator doesnt blow bubbles.. seeing its full of
little particles of FOOD..
the rocks I use to give the fish a hiding place were COVERED.. not a
spot of rock to see.
Like I said, visibility was about 3 inches. I did a 75% water change
*drained half way, filled, half way again, filled.* and dumped 20
ounces of 'Ultimate' pond clear *fish store was out of ammonia lock*
I picked out as much dirt as I could.. *most of it being food*
I dont seem to have lost any fish yet, but I do believe I'm going to
lose them when the Nitrates and Nitrites turn into Ammonia.

I then sterilised the filter pads, heavy, medium, and light.. and
sterilised half the biological filter. *sterilising by boiling the
objects* The sand filter was clogged full of food, so I rinsed it out.

After about 2 hours, I noticed a change in the pond.. the water's
surface has a rainbow-like sheen, and foam occurs at the waterfall.

Please, somebody help!
Old 18-11-2003, 04:12 AM
K30a

Not a good time of year but I'd take the whole
pond down to the liner and really clean it out.
The koi club here has containers that members can borrow to store fish when the
pond is being worked on.
We take apart the filter in our 150 stock tank
and put the fish in there when we clean.

good luck!
k30a
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Old 18-11-2003, 05:12 AM
Nedra

I'd remove the fish right now! Even if you have to go borrowing
containers to put them in.
Then KILL the sitter!!!!!!!
No ... I mean do as Kathy (K30a) prescribes. Empty the
whole pond... you'll have to take off work to get this done!
Also enlist some help... family, neighbors... whoever.

Good Luck!

Nedra

Old 18-11-2003, 08:22 AM
Theo van Daele

What a mess.

My best advice would be to buy a "kids" swimming pool, fill it with water &
amquel, and slowly move the fish over there. That way you can really
drain/clean out the whole pond.

Old 18-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Bonnie

K30a wrote:
Not a good time of year but I'd take the whole
pond down to the liner and really clean it out.
The koi club here has containers that members can borrow to store fish when the
pond is being worked on.
We take apart the filter in our 150 stock tank
and put the fish in there when we clean.

good luck!
k30a
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Do what k30a says! Then tell us your area and the name of
the sitter, this person should never be allowed to watch any
pond again!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 18-11-2003, 02:42 PM
tdreeves

That's a great idea, the kids pools are on sale this time of year. You get a
bonus for the kids! Good luck and I will say a prayer for the fishes. Kc

&

Old 19-11-2003, 12:12 AM
THE Old Man

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:59:18 -0600, jammer wrote:

I cant believe that some idiot would do that. What did you say to the
person?

Leaving out the bad words? I bet he said nothing.

Bad deal. Hang in there and do rest often as the stress can really
get you down.

dd
Old 19-11-2003, 12:43 AM
David

I live near Oakland, California..

The baby pool sounds like it wouldnt be such a bad idea.

After the 75% water change today, I see no difference, other than I
cant see anything at all now *milk*

Catching the fish to put them into a separate pond will be quite a
problem.. they're all quite camoflauged in the milk. Even then, I've
searched all through the neighborhood and cant seem to turn up
anything but a wheelbarrel and a couple of drink boxes. Nothing that
can hold 11 12'' fish.
No bellies up yet thank god.

I took water test readings today before I put the pond through its
winter torment.. results:
Ammonia is in the 'stress' zone
Nitrates are in the 'Toxic' zone
and Nitrites are in the 'Toxic' zone
PH is 6.5
everything else is normal

I have a Bitron 18 that isnt hooked up to the pond yet... *since I
ordered the new filtration system from two manufacturers, one of which
is INCREDIBLY slow*
and a spare Oase Nautilus 30 pump, plus a Beckett 1000 gph pump.

Do you think the Bitron 18, used as a steriliser, could cleanse the
pond of this horrid milky white bacteria layer?

*update, the layer on top is now a milky greenish white, with string
algae starting up all over the place. wow, after only 2 days.

I've done another 75% water change, and I still see no difference in
the color or purity of the water.

Help!
Old 19-11-2003, 05:32 AM
David

Wow. My lilly pads went boom.
From green as an Evergreen to looking as though its been sitting in
the attic for a couple years..

Hooked up the Bitron 18. I ordered a Biotec 10 a while back, and I
hope it will solve my problems.

Old 19-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Theo van Daele

The water quality sounds really alarming David, you really need an emergency
pond, like the kiddie pool or K30's suggestion of asking for a container at
your local Koi org.

These are strong fish, but they will start to give up.

When you start draining your pond, catching the fish will be much easier, so
drain half, catch a few fish, drain more, until you get the last one.

"David" schreef in bericht
om...

Old 19-11-2003, 06:42 PM
joe

I recently had to catch some fish in my pond. Go to your local Home Depot
and in the garden section you will find bird netting. Get the finest you can
find then lay it over the bottom of the pond and up each side. Pound stakes
through or place rocks on one end of the net and pull up on the other. You
should be able to catch several this way.

Good luck
Joe

Old 21-11-2003, 01:22 AM
David

OOK.

The bitron was part of a set of other Oase filtration products, namely
a Biotec 10. I installed the Biotec 10 in about 3 hours, along with
the Nautilus 30 it came with.

Its an hour later, and I see no difference in clarity, but it sure as
hell takes every bit of crap out of the water it can find.. Not the
Biotec 1000 or the Pf3 come even close to it.

The nitrates, Nitrites and Ammonia seem to be going down, or I cant
see the colors well.

BUT: problem, why is it that 2 of my fish look like they have broken
backs? can this be cured, or do I have to put them out of their
misery?

*they can only curve their tails one way.*
Old 21-11-2003, 08:02 AM
Theo van Daele

BUT: problem, why is it that 2 of my fish look like they have broken
backs?

Ammonia or nitite poisoining.

Can only repeat the suggestion: get them out of there (all fish) or watch
them die a slow death.

Not even 500 Biotec10's can help you with this I'm afraid.

Theo

Old 22-11-2003, 02:07 AM
Jeffrey Ashby

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your situation and for replying so late, I'm new to
the newsgroup.

I would suggest that you look up on the net a PVC counter current foam
fractionator. Something about 6' tall can be made for around $25 to
$35. The fractionator will help remove the fine solids suspended in the
water column (the milky look) it will strip CO2 to help readjust pH and
other water components and you can use your pump from the fountain to
power it until things get back to normal.

I had a similar problem as I was running two 600 gallon tanks and had an
automatic feeder lock open and dump fish feed all night long. Same
water conditions.

Also you may want to consider an overnite shipment of preactivated
bacteria from Aquatic Eco or other similar aquaculture retailer, add an
entire gallon all at once, you cannot over add the bacteria in this
case. That will help reduce the ammonia and nitrites (don't worry about
nitrates until they get over 200 ppm the other is much more important).

Your Koi will be sufering from ammonia poisoning and brown blood
disease, so you will also need LOTS of aeration as soon as things are
closer to equilibrium.

Good luck to you and the fish

Jeffrey Ashby
Aquaculture Consultant