Old 28-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Monty Burns

Default SWM seeks LCF (Large Carnivorous Fish)?

Enter the stereotypical question : I want a big fish for a big pond,
that will eat small mammal carcasses / meat scraps / other fish.
(I've searched via Google, but can't find the answer)

--

I've got a pond full of goldfish, and although they're pretty, they're
not terribly entertaining.

I've also got an excess population of eastern grey squirrels (the
non-endangered type) that I routinely dispose of. Opossums, too.

I live in Washington state, where a layer of ice forms over the pond
in the winter. So tropical fish are out.

The pond is 13,000 gallons - a 35'x15' swimming pool, 6' deep in the
deep end. It's also a concrete pond, with a high pH. At present, it
doesn't have a lot of aeration, but I plan on changing that this
coming summer (adding a waterfall and 700 gallon biofilter)

So here's my question: what kind of fish could I get that would eat
dead squirrels and grow to be 2-3 feet long? Would a big catfish do
this? In my hollywood-addled mind, I'd love to see some vicious
pirhana action. (Of course, having owned a red-bellied pirhana
before, I know them to be rather boring in practice)

After reading all the stories about the giant chinese snakehead, it
sounds like what I would want (sans the on-land movement). Of course,
that fish is now quite illegal to import into my state. So an
alternate fish is required.

I realize this is probably not what most ponders are looking to raise.
But it's a serious question.

Thanks in advance.

PS: No, I don't have a wife. :

Old 28-11-2003, 05:07 PM
John Hines

Monty Burns wrote:

So here's my question: what kind of fish could I get that would eat
dead squirrels and grow to be 2-3 feet long?

A dawg that swims?
Old 28-11-2003, 05:34 PM
ajames54

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:31:39 -0600, John Hines
wrote:

Monty Burns wrote:

So here's my question: what kind of fish could I get that would eat
dead squirrels and grow to be 2-3 feet long?

A dawg that swims?

snapping turtle is what comes to mind for me...
Old 28-11-2003, 06:25 PM
Ka30P

Monty wrote PS: No, I don't have a wife.

chortle!

Someone wrote snapping turtle but as they
aren't native you could get raided by the
fish and wildlife folks who don't have a sense
of humor about these things.
Pike? Are they found in the PNW? Same concern
about natives.
Bullfrogs will eat goldfish and small, live squirrels.
They aren't native but are here to stay. If you see very large tadpoles in a
local pond this is probably what they are.
Crayfish will eat dead critters and any old slow goldfish they can get ahold
of.

ka30p - who feeds the squirrel that lives in our
backyard peanuts, walnuts and cranberries ;-)
Old 28-11-2003, 06:42 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

ka30p - who feeds the squirrel that lives in our
backyard peanuts, walnuts and cranberries ;-)

Hey, K30, be careful, your only squirrel could be half a dozen in a few
years. 5 years ago I saw my first squirrel in this neighborhood, but 5
minutes from K30. Yesterday we counted 6 (that we could see at one time).
My feeder has to be filled daily now, where before it was 2-3x/month. They
are fun to watch though, especially the little one who climbs in the feeder
and shuts the door behind him and watches out the window. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 28-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:40:31 -0800
~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

ka30p - who feeds the squirrel that lives in our
backyard peanuts, walnuts and cranberries ;-)

Hey, K30, be careful, your only squirrel could be half a dozen in a
few years. 5 years ago I saw my first squirrel in this neighborhood,
but 5 minutes from K30. Yesterday we counted 6 (that we could see at
one time). My feeder has to be filled daily now, where before it was
2-3x/month. They are fun to watch though, especially the little one
who climbs in the feeder and shuts the door behind him and watches out
the window. ~ jan

For the past year and a half (almost) I thought that I had a squirrel
and bird feeder in the front yard. Last week, sitting quietly and
reading, watching the squirrels, I found out that it's really a red
tailed hawk feeder. I had been wondering where all the squirrels were
going...

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 28-11-2003, 08:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Now that you mention it, yesterday I did see a hawk make a pass. He got
thwarted as my DH happened to walk into the yard about the same time for a
load of wood, so he veered off and made a half-hearted grab for a Magpie
(or could that have been a "I'm not here for the squirrels" diversion?).
Guess I won't get too attached to these squirrels and name them. ;o) ~ jan

Old 28-11-2003, 10:36 PM
jammer

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:22:13 GMT, Monty Burns wrote:

Enter the stereotypical question : I want a big fish for a big pond,
that will eat small mammal carcasses / meat scraps / other fish.
(I've searched via Google, but can't find the answer)

Piranha?

Old 29-11-2003, 12:26 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:19:57 -0800
~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Now that you mention it, yesterday I did see a hawk make a pass. He
got thwarted as my DH happened to walk into the yard about the same
time for a load of wood, so he veered off and made a half-hearted grab
for a Magpie(or could that have been a "I'm not here for the
squirrels" diversion?). Guess I won't get too attached to these
squirrels and name them. ;o) ~ jan

We have lots of hawks around here. I've seen them take snakes and small
birds before and a neighbor down the street lost his wife's small stomp
dog. For some reason I never thought about them watching the feeder.
It's perfectly situated, though, with a high bank the squirrels have to
run up before they get to cover. Now that I think about it, it seems
perfectly logical that they would feed here.
Now I gotta try to get some pictures.

Cybe R. Wizard

Old 29-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Pat Keith

Channel catfish.

Old 29-11-2003, 05:22 AM
Offbreed

Monty Burns wrote in message . ..
Enter the stereotypical question : I want a big fish for a big pond,
that will eat small mammal carcasses / meat scraps / other fish.
(I've searched via Google, but can't find the answer)

Flathead catfish. Might not be legal in WA, though.

Ask around about the largest breed of catfish in your area, might be
one I'm not remembering.

Old 29-11-2003, 07:03 AM
BenignVanilla

"Gene" wrote in message
Go catch a gar and put that in your pond. They are about as
mean as pirranha.

snip

I had a gar for awhile. He was awesome to watch, and he was a great hunter.
They like moving water, so a serene pond would not be optimal.

--
BV.
WebPorgmaster