Old 01-01-2004, 03:42 PM
rem1061

Default will mosquito fish survive the winter?

"Tom La Bron" wrote in message
Lydia,

It depends on what you call Mosquito fish. If you got them at a tropical
fish store

( Snip)

To display my total ignorance, what is a " Mosquito fish " ? Will it survive
extremely Hot weather ? I have a 300 gal. 5' LX 3' WX 2' D. And since we
live just East of Houston Texas the water gets hot enough to cook rice in
( okay maybe not ). I have several types of plants growing in it and more
than a few Mosquito's. If there is a hardy fish I can put in and " Forget "
that would be great.
Thanks
Richard

Old 01-01-2004, 06:03 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Do you have a mosquito control board/district? That's where local people
hear get them. They deliver free. ~ jan

Old 01-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Steve J. Noll

I think this is one that falls into 'your mileage may vary' and
'every pond is different'...

I received 40 mosquito fish from the local vector control district
near the end of October. They said they were collected from the wild.
I quaranteened them for 2 weeks before introducting them to my
24"-30" deep 2500 gallon pond here in zone 10. The water temp hasn't
been under 48F since then, and, I haven't seen one mosquito fish
dead or alive since a couple weeks after adding them.

Maybe the Koi ate them? I didn't think they were supposed to,
especially as the mosquito fish are/were much faster than the Koi.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California
Old 02-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Lee B.

Steve, to the best of my knowledge, once fish/fry get beyond the "swimming
eyes" stage, koi don't eat them. I've seen larger fish spit out babies that
got between them and food when they were eating. Your 'skeeter fish are
probably either hiding, or got sucked up by your filtration. Have you
checked your filters?

Lee

Old 02-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Lydia

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
You've got a point there! I was projecting my frustration with Mosquito
fish on the original poster. To the original poster I apologize. To BV,
please send me your mailing address so that I can ship a trillion Mosquito
fish to you for belated Xmas present :-) lol

I still can't imagine though that one will want mosquito fish for pond

pet!

Oh no apology needed. I didn't take anything personally - knew what you
meant. I got the little buggers because we have wetlands behind our
house which means a really big mosquito population so I knew there'd be food
for them. Doubt it will cut down on the mosquitos, though, as I'm sure
there are jillions of larvae layed in the swampy lake thing in the wetlands.
And because of the wetlands area and our proximity to ocean and river we
have lots of wildlife that I think would eat pet-type fish like koi.
Herons, eagles, hawks, racoons, weasels - neighbor cat if some of the native
wildlife doesn't eat him first like they did his housemate. So I thought
this would be a critter I could keep in there that would have a natural food
source and wouldn't get eaten by the local wildlife.

Lydia

Old 02-01-2004, 07:42 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

In my experience, I've seen my koi chase down mosquito fish, this was a
rare koi though. I've also seen koi inadvertently eat one that was eating
on a koi stix. Stix & M.fish both sucked down. ~ jan

On 2 Jan 2004 10:08:09 -0600, "Lee B." wrote:

Steve, to the best of my knowledge, once fish/fry get beyond the "swimming
eyes" stage, koi don't eat them. I've seen larger fish spit out babies that
got between them and food when they were eating. Your 'skeeter fish are
probably either hiding, or got sucked up by your filtration. Have you
checked your filters?

Lee

. ..

Old 03-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Moontanman

Oh no apology needed. I didn't take anything personally - knew what you
meant. I got the little buggers because we have wetlands behind our
house which means a really big mosquito population so I knew there'd be food
for them. Doubt it will cut down on the mosquitos, though, as I'm sure
there are jillions of larvae layed in the swampy lake thing in the wetlands.
And because of the wetlands area and our proximity to ocean and river we
have lots of wildlife that I think would eat pet-type fish like koi.
Herons, eagles, hawks, racoons, weasels - neighbor cat if some of the native
wildlife doesn't eat him first like they did his housemate. So I thought
this would be a critter I could keep in there that would have a natural food
source and wouldn't get eaten by the local wildlife.

Lydia

Oh Lydia, please tell me your gambusia are not in a natural pond! All kidding
aside it's really too bad so many people really belive that gambusia are great
at eating mosquitos. They are not, i live where gambusias are native and they
don't do anything to control the mosquitos. they do eat other fishes eggs and
fry (as well as their own) No critcizim of you intended but everyone should
know what a threat to the ecosystem gambusia can be out side their natural
range. For mosquito control other small fish native to the area should be used.
Actually around here the best control for mosquitos has been found to be
Enneacanthus sunfish but they can only be used if they are native to your area.
Now that i have thoroughly made you mad rest assured the problem is not with
you but with state wildlife officials that seem to think that exotic release is
crime unless they do it. Gambusia have been released far outside their range
with the mistaken idea they eat more mosquito larvae than other fish. athough
other fish will eat gambusia they often stay in areas of the habitat that other
fish cannot exploit and so avoid predation while eating the fry of other fish
that do exploit the shallow water habitat. if this was a pond with no outlet or
inlet which isn't connected it any way to the outside environment... nevermind
;-)

The anti gambusia sociaty
Old 03-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Moontanman

BTW, the little buggers can live anywhere they can stay damp and not freeze
solid!

The anti gambusia sociaty
Old 04-01-2004, 04:34 AM
Moontanman

They will still be there Lydia. getting reid of them with be the trick!

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 04-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Moontanman

To display my total ignorance, what is a " Mosquito fish " ? Will it survive
extremely Hot weather ? I have a 300 gal. 5' LX 3' WX 2' D. And since we
live just East of Houston Texas the water gets hot enough to cook rice in
( okay maybe not ). I have several types of plants growing in it and more
than a few Mosquito's. If there is a hardy fish I can put in and " Forget "
that would be great.
Thanks
Richard

Mosquito fish are usually Gambusia affinis, they live here in NC in water that
is almost hot to the touch. Just make sure thyere si no way for them to escape
into the natural environment. they can reall cause probelms.

Old 04-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Moontanman

Seattle, I would love to live in Seattle. then I could maybe see Heart nore
than once every twenty years. Ann Wilson is the greatest!

Moon
Old 05-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Lydia

No, no. This is just a 5'x6'x2' hole in our backyard - not a natural pond.
I did hear from the good people of this ng when I first got them to be sure
that there is no way they would be introduced into any natural waterways
from my pond and I feel very confident we did.

Thanks for the concern!
Lydia [who isn't mad... angry-mad that is... crazy-mad is questionable]