Old 31-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default will mosquito fish survive the winter?

I have a lot of sympathy for the 'let them handle it themselves' approach.
Our mosquito fish multiply so fast that we catch and feed them by the
hundred to our Oscars, just to keep them in check. They also clean out all
our koi and gf babies!

Jim

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Wait a second Nedra and Jan! I bet to differ if I may.

Mosquito fish are dime a dozen, they are not pets, and they breed by the
trillion per second! My dear wife calls them the cockroaches of the pond!

My point? Why go through the hassle and waste of utility to try and over
winter mosquito fish! I am almost certain that the darn things will

survive
a nuclear attack anyway, so I doubt if freeze will kill them, but if it

does
go to your vector control center and get a bucket load for free!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Lydia" wrote in message
Thank you both! It's snowing right now in Seattle!!!

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Yes, and don't break a hole, melt one to insert the airstone. The

sooner
you do this the more survivors you will have. ~ jan

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:27:56 GMT, "Nedra"

wrote:

Lydia,

You really need to make sure you keep a Hole in ice for the
exchange of gases... think of it as letting your fish breathe.

Buy a small air pump - KMart usually has them for about $8.00.
Attach an air hose with a 4 inch airstone. Then put the airstone
about 2 or 3 inches down in your pond. This will keep the hole
open in Seattle's winters.
Almost forgot - do cover the air pump with
a bucket. It is not weather proof and needs protection from the
rain and snow. I have mine nailed to an upright on the deck then I
covered it with a baggie.

Nedra
"Lydia" wrote in message
The pond is 2 feet deep ~ 500gal. I put about 15-20 mosquito fish

in
it
this fall. It's a new pond so I don't have anything else in it

yet.

Usually our low temps. this season in Seattle are around 40-45F

degrees,
but
we've been having cold snaps where the pond has had a layer of ice

on
it
for
a few days at a time during about 3 different weeks since October.

One
of
those weeks is this week. Overnight temps are mid 20's. Ice on

the
top
of
the pond again.

The feeling I get from what I read is that the mosquito fish will

still
be
there in the spring. Really? Honestly? Is that true? It just

seems
so
amazing to me that I can believe it.

Or are they most likely all dead by now? Should I do something for

them
like dump hot water in or break a hole in the ice even though it'll
probably
be gone in no more than a week?

Thanks!
Lydia

~ jan

Old 31-12-2003, 06:05 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 06:43:35 GMT, "Lydia" wrote:
Thank you both! It's snowing right now in Seattle!!!

So how much do you have on the ground? We got 3" a couple of days ago and
early this AM another 1.5-2". A winter of holiday of old for us, I think it
has been quite some time since we've had this much snow and not had a
Chinook wind come the very next day and melt it off. ~ jan
~ jan
Old 31-12-2003, 06:12 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Yea, I think normally Nedra (if I may speak for her) & I would agree, but
this ponder was concerned. So good advice was given.

Who are we to say what feelings are allowed for which species of fish? Some
of us think it is silly to worry about feeder goldfish, but we don't poo
poo them, do we? Of course not, we're a hook-you-on-this-hobby-
with-any-aquatic-critter sort of newsgroup. very Big grin ~ jan

Old 31-12-2003, 06:46 PM
BenignVanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Wait a second Nedra and Jan! I bet to differ if I may.

Mosquito fish are dime a dozen, they are not pets, and they breed by the
trillion per second! My dear wife calls them the cockroaches of the pond!

My point? Why go through the hassle and waste of utility to try and over
winter mosquito fish! I am almost certain that the darn things will

survive
a nuclear attack anyway, so I doubt if freeze will kill them, but if it

does
go to your vector control center and get a bucket load for free!

snip

You dig the hole.
You fill the hole with water.
You add fish.
You are responsible for the fish and their well being...even if they are
cockroaches.

These two cents...brought to you by...

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 31-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Bonnie

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message

[...]

I agree with you BV, and Jan and Nedra. Many of us may
start with feeder goldfish and then decide that other fish are
affordable after all. When I started this hobby (obsession)
I first purchased feeder fish.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 31-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Lydia

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 06:43:35 GMT, "Lydia" wrote:
Thank you both! It's snowing right now in Seattle!!!

So how much do you have on the ground? We got 3" a couple of days ago and
early this AM another 1.5-2". A winter of holiday of old for us, I think

it
has been quite some time since we've had this much snow and not had a
Chinook wind come the very next day and melt it off. ~ jan
~ jan

Just south of Seattle, in Kent, there was about 2 inches this morning when I
got up. When I got to work in Seattle there was a little less. But as it's
continued to warmed up *Sigh* it's all gone now. It's supposed to snow
again over the weekend!

Old 01-01-2004, 12:35 AM
Ka30P

Over here in the east side of the state
we have lots and lots and lots of snow.
I've been totally paranoid. I never was
before but before Christmas a lost shopper
from another town ran a stop sign and totaled
our volvo with my two baby boys inside.
Youngest has a slight neck injury and is getting
therapy. But now I am certain ALL the other drivers out there are on the verge
of control and coming at us!

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 01-01-2004, 01:09 AM
Just Me \Koi\

You've got a point there! I was projecting my frustration with Mosquito
fish on the original poster. To the original poster I apologize. To BV,
please send me your mailing address so that I can ship a trillion Mosquito
fish to you for belated Xmas present :-) lol

I still can't imagine though that one will want mosquito fish for pond pet!

--
_______________________________________

Old 01-01-2004, 03:33 AM
Tom La Bron

Lydia,

It depends on what you call Mosquito fish. If you got them at a tropical
fish store/LFS they are probably a species of Gambusia which are pretty
hardy, but will probably not stand temps in the 50's very long. If it is a
local mosquito fish that is native to the region, it will probably do fine.
Fish can surprise you, though, I had two Clown loaches outside in the pond,
about 2 inches in size, and the pond temps had dropped into the very low 60
high 50's before I had the time to drain that portion of the pond to chase
them down. The Pond is 30 plus inches deep and I had to bring the level to
about 2 inches before I could finally catch. They were still the dickens to
catch, but I got them caught and they are doing fine inside now.

So to answer you question, it yes or no depending on the species of mosquito
fish you have.

Tom L.L.