Old 07-01-2004, 08:52 PM
MC

Default House Plants that cn be used in water?

I decided at the last minute to bring my Koi inside for the winter. I
saved only 1 pond plant. In Chicago, you can't easily find water
plants in the winter other than submersibles (anacharis) at the pet
store. Are there any common houseplants I could buy that will do well
submersed in water?
Old 08-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Bonnie

MC wrote:
I decided at the last minute to bring my Koi inside for the winter. I
saved only 1 pond plant. In Chicago, you can't easily find water
plants in the winter other than submersibles (anacharis) at the pet
store. Are there any common houseplants I could buy that will do well
submersed in water?

The Peace Lily does very well. I have one in my indoor
goldfish pond.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 08-01-2004, 12:35 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Also, heart leaf philodendron and Arrowhead, both come in varigated or
solid green varieties. Aquatic palm plants do well inside, as does bog
lilies and Imperial Taro, so you might want to pick those up for the
outside pond next year and bring them in with the koi. I think Ingrid does
this with quite a few of her veggie filter plants. ~ jan

MC wrote:
I decided at the last minute to bring my Koi inside for the winter. I
saved only 1 pond plant. In Chicago, you can't easily find water
plants in the winter other than submersibles (anacharis) at the pet
store. Are there any common houseplants I could buy that will do well
submersed in water?

The Peace Lily does very well. I have one in my indoor
goldfish pond. bonnie

See jan's ponds thru the seasons and/or my filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 08-01-2004, 01:04 AM
D Kat

Why do you want them to be submersed? If you want plants to use the fish
waste there are many house plants that will do well in water. Just about
any plant that has surface roots or any plant that you would stick in a jar
of water to root. I currently have a arrowhead plant (syngonium
podophyllum) stuck in my patio water garden that I pulled inside and it has
been doing fine for some time now (far better than the poor water
hyacynths). To oxygenate I would think that it would be easier to just add
a bubbler IMO..... DKat

om...

Old 08-01-2004, 04:04 PM
MC

I have a airstone. The plants are to reduce the nitrates which I can't
seem to keep down even with a lot of filtration.

"D Kat" wrote in message . net...
Why do you want them to be submersed? If you want plants to use the fish
waste there are many house plants that will do well in water. Just about
any plant that has surface roots or any plant that you would stick in a jar
of water to root. I currently have a arrowhead plant (syngonium
podophyllum) stuck in my patio water garden that I pulled inside and it has
been doing fine for some time now (far better than the poor water
hyacynths). To oxygenate I would think that it would be easier to just add
a bubbler IMO..... DKat

om...

Old 08-01-2004, 05:32 PM

http://puregold.aquaria.net/MOH/bsmn...ie_filter.html

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Also, heart leaf philodendron and Arrowhead, both come in varigated or
solid green varieties. Aquatic palm plants do well inside, as does bog
lilies and Imperial Taro, so you might want to pick those up for the
outside pond next year and bring them in with the koi. I think Ingrid does
this with quite a few of her veggie filter plants. ~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:35 PM

exactly. anything that does well with its feet in water will do great with the
foliage outside. look for low light level plants. now the roots they come with may
not do well in water, I hear that cuttings develop water roots which are different
than soil roots. water cress will root fast, altho it likes more light. just keep
the water moving so the plant can suck it up. Ingrid

"D Kat" wrote:
Why do you want them to be submersed? If you want plants to use the fish
waste there are many house plants that will do well in water.

"MC" wrote in message
. com...
I decided at the last minute to bring my Koi inside for the winter. I
saved only 1 pond plant. In Chicago, you can't easily find water
plants in the winter other than submersibles (anacharis) at the pet
store. Are there any common houseplants I could buy that will do well
submersed in water?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 08-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Bonnie

MC wrote:
I have a airstone. The plants are to reduce the nitrates which I can't
seem to keep down even with a lot of filtration.

Are you doing frequent water changes? I do them weekly.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 08-01-2004, 07:21 PM
Zookeeper

Pothos love to grow in water -- they even grow with no added fertilizer
or nitrates, just plain water. If you have a friend with a pothos plant,
get tip cuttings (4-6 inches), tie together and suspend directly in
your tank. They even grow in low or no natural light. If light is a
problem, look for over low light plants that like moisture. Just remove
them from their pots, and rinse all soil off the roots before suspending
in the tank (you can cover the roots with a mesh bag or even a sock).
--
Kathy aka Zk
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 08-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Ka30P

Plain old ivy will grow lots of roots
in water. I've grown lots of them in
these test tube type vases in a sunny
window. Have not tried them in with
critters. I notice that where ever the
ivy touches the water (while growing
alongside my pondsills) it will send out
roots.
My aquatic frogs, who live in a pondsill,
(aquatic habitat that lives on a kitchen windowsill
for sun) have had to be insulated lately
with ovenmitts as it is sooooo cold outside
that window!)

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html