Old 18-01-2004, 10:09 PM
john rutz

Default Burning Down the Pond someone may be interested)

..

As for it being absorbed into the water and "suffocating" the little
water-breathers, everything I've found so far indicates that propane
will not absorb or mix with water. I guess the molecules are just too
light, they go to the surface and fling themselves skyward.

.
Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Mike
one thing to keep in mind propane/butane is heavyer than air so will
accumulate in low places ( ie your pond) so if you build this thing
make sure the starter and the gas flow work together or you could get a
heck of a flash fire when it ignites

Natural gas is lighter than air and will go straight up from the orfice
if there is no wind

John Rutz

Old 19-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Mike Patterson

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:02:25 -0700, john rutz
wrote:

.

As for it being absorbed into the water and "suffocating" the little
water-breathers, everything I've found so far indicates that propane
will not absorb or mix with water. I guess the molecules are just too
light, they go to the surface and fling themselves skyward.

.
Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Mike
one thing to keep in mind propane/butane is heavyer than air so will
accumulate in low places ( ie your pond) so if you build this thing
make sure the starter and the gas flow work together or you could get a
heck of a flash fire when it ignites

Natural gas is lighter than air and will go straight up from the orfice
if there is no wind

John Rutz

Thanks for the input.
My pond is surrounded by rock to a height of about 4 inches, so a
flashover could be interesting...

I plan to have a remoted peizo igniter.

Been out of town working, just returned, so plan to experiment later
this week using a washtub outside.

For you other folks, please believe me, I will be careful and take
precautions. I am a fairly knowedgeable 42 year old adult, and I take
responsibility for my own actions.

Thanks