Old 06-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Nedra

Default Heated pond

Jan, I think I would remove some of the snow from the screens.
Depends on how deep the snow is, I suppose. Snow is very
heavy around here (usually) and wouldn't be all that porous.
I wouldn't take the chance.

My 2 cents ....

Nedra

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Regarding this thread.

Many of you have had me describe what I do, as pictured on my website the
leaf screens that are about 6" above the water surface. When they become
covered with snow underneath the water surface does not freeze. Similar to
letting the surface freeze and then pumping the water down so one has an
ice dome. Unlike the ice dome I did not go out and make a hole anywhere in
the snow, I thought the snow would be porous enough to allow gas to escape
an air to enter (I have slow circulation going on within the ponds w/air
stone in filter). Should I have made a small hole in the snow above the
ponds, or would the air pump doing it's thing be enough? Would the snow
barrier allow hydrogen sulfide to gas off or would it build up underneath?
~ jan

Leaf screen pictured on Page 1 of My Pond Photos
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 07-02-2004, 12:21 AM
Hal

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:53:33 -0500, GrannyGrump
wrote:

I think perhaps GG didn't realize there would be a hole in the ice layer,
but I'm assuming, so hope I'm not committing the Ass U Me injury from doing
so. ;o) ~ jan

I think I was thinking of snow covering the ice, and it didn't occur
to me that the hole would remain open, until later after posting.

Left me in a state of confusion! I'm sitting inside with a 60 degree
wind blowing rain most of the day so you can guess how much I know about
gassing under ice anyway. Sounded like a good idea to mention it at
the time though.

Regards,

Hal