Old 27-02-2004, 02:47 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Bog Garden: Episode II

I saw Richard's post on the bog garden, and so am now inspired. Oh great,
thanks Richard...My kitchen is 3/4 done, my master bath is gutted, the
playroom is framed by not wired or sheetrocked, and my stream is leaking
water. So what am I going to do? Start another damn pond project.

OK, so my question is...I currently have a pond with a bottom drain that
feeds a VF. I'd like to build a bog garden for the fun and the look, but
would also like it to have a purpose, and do some filtration.

I have no idea how to plumb it? How do I get pond water to it, and then back
to the pond on a slow cycle?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 27-02-2004, 04:16 PM
Ka30P

BV,
With bog number one I ran a long, flexible black tube along the back of it. The
tube was drilled with holes every couple of inches. The bog was full of large
rocks and it sits at the edge of the pond.
It worked great for a while, then the plants went crazy and filled it in and
they would not come out! So the thing backed up and started leaking over the
edge.

I disconnected the hose. The thing is completely filled in with this wonderful
edgewater grass I brought back as seeds from a pond in Idaho. Six feet tall.
Now the stuff is spreading out over the pond and sending shoots up from the
surface.
It will be a battle this spring but we are going to try and get it under
control.

kathy :-)

Old 27-02-2004, 04:17 PM
BenignVanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message

[...]

So do you circulate pond water into it? How much? How fast? Is the bog above
the pond and does it drain back via gravity?

BV.

Old 27-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Hal

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:18:28 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

I have no idea how to plumb it? How do I get pond water to it, and then back
to the pond on a slow cycle?

Use two different water levels and pump from the lower to the higher
water level and make a spillway or overflow pipe for water to gravity
flow back to the lower water level. You can determine the amount of
water movement by the pump size.

Actually that will work with one water level if the two ponds are
connected by a return pipe that stays full of water.

Regards,

Hal

Old 28-02-2004, 12:36 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Someone talk to us about mosquitos and bogs.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 28-02-2004, 12:36 AM
Ka30P

Jim wrote Someone talk to us about mosquitos and bogs.

And cabbages and kings... ;-)

If a bog has standing water in it, all the time or
part of the time, the ponder (bogger?) should use one of the mosquito dunk
products.
For my bog I use the mosquito dunk product that comes in grandular form, ground
up pieces, like ground beef in size. I toss it around the bog so it will get
into all parts, especially those areas that might be isolated from the rest of
the bog due to rocks or plants.
Here is a technical writeup of the stuff
Mosquito Dunks

Target Pests: Mosquitoes, black fly larvae
*Place Mosquito Dunks in ponds or standing water and it's active ingredient,
Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israaelenses called BTI kills mosquito and
black fly larvae for 30 days or more. While floating they slowly release a long
term biological mosquito larvacide killing the larvae before they hatch into
adults. Will not effect fish, plants, people or wildlife. Alternative wetting
and drying will not reduce it's effectiveness. Use one dunk per 100 sqft of
water surface.
6 Dunks per pack $8.25

kathy :-)
Old 28-02-2004, 06:03 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Not to split hairs here, but a true bog shouldn't be used to filter a pond.
A true bog is highly acidic and full of anaerobic bacteria, with little to
no water movement. Anything other than this is still a veggie filter, imo.

K30, I think you need to invite BV over to help clean up your over run bog
area. I don't think he got the point of how hard this is going to be to get
under control and just saw how easy it was for you to creat it. ;o) ~ jan

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:18:28 -0500, "BenignVanilla" wrote:

I saw Richard's post on the bog garden, and so am now inspired. Oh great,
thanks Richard...My kitchen is 3/4 done, my master bath is gutted, the
playroom is framed by not wired or sheetrocked, and my stream is leaking
water. So what am I going to do? Start another damn pond project.

OK, so my question is...I currently have a pond with a bottom drain that
feeds a VF. I'd like to build a bog garden for the fun and the look, but
would also like it to have a purpose, and do some filtration.

I have no idea how to plumb it? How do I get pond water to it, and then back
to the pond on a slow cycle?

Another episode of "CSI:Bonsai" Nina Bonsai 2 24-04-2006 09:32 PM
CSI:Bonsai, final exciting episode Nina Bonsai 5 19-08-2005 02:26 PM
[IBC] CSI:Bonsai, final exciting episode Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 0 18-08-2005 08:19 PM
CSI:Bonsai, episode 3 Nina Bonsai 0 17-08-2005 01:37 PM
My kribs have spawned again - episode II gizmo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 24-10-2003 07:32 PM