Old 02-03-2004, 05:12 PM
~ Windsong ~

Default Bio-filter startup time?

"O3raledale" wrote in message
Bonnie and Carol and all,
Thanks for the info. So the bio-bugs need 50 deg. or higher to survive.

## I'm sure some still do their job in colder water since I never had an
ammonia spike in spring or fall. I don't feed them at all if the water is
below 50 to 52F. I'm more concerned about them not digesting the food if
the water temp' drops overnight.

So I suppose that I should also hold off feeding my goldfish untill then

too,
correct? Would it be ok to just run the pump to get the falls and stream
running now (the air pump with bubblers are currently running) and I'll

just
put the lava rocks in when the weather is 50 deg. and/or over. Should I

use
last years rocks or use new ones?
Thanks,
-Pat

## I don't use lava rocks because they're too hard to clean. If you're
going to turn it on now you may as well add the filtering material of your
choice.
--
Carol...
My website:

Old 02-03-2004, 07:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"O3raledale" wrote in message
Hello All,
Last winter I took the advice of the wise ones here at Rec ponds and shut

down
my waterfalls and bio-filter. (Phila. Pa. area) I then installed an air

pump
with two airstones blowing air into the pond all winter. Well it worked

very
well and the little fishies are still alive and swimming all around the

pond.
Question is when is it safe to set the bio-filter back up and get the

falls and
stream flowing again? And what other precautions should I take when doing

so?
Thanks for all of your help,

I've been reading all of the responses to this post, and I began to wonder.
Over the next few weeks as things warm up, why not do water changes on my
indoor 55 gallon tank, and dump the water into the pond instead of the
drain? My tank has no disease that I am aware of, so I see this as
relatively safe...and it seems to me, I'd be moving some fresh strong bio
matter to the pond. Any thoughts?

BV.

Old 03-03-2004, 12:19 AM
RichToyBox

Moving the water will help, but even better would be to squeeze out all that
brown stuff from the indoor filters into the filter area. Look at Doc
Johnson's method of seeding bead filters.
--
RichToyBox

news

Old 03-03-2004, 02:11 PM
BenignVanilla

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Moving the water will help, but even better would be to squeeze out all

that
brown stuff from the indoor filters into the filter area. Look at Doc
Johnson's method of seeding bead filters.

snip

Now I am getting more of an idea...fill a 5 gallon bucket full of filter
media, and pump the aquarium water thru it. Hmmm....

BV.

Old 03-03-2004, 03:21 PM

actually, there isnt many biobugs in the water, but clean the aquarium walls with the
filter material and you will pick up colonies. best is using a piece of well cycled
filter material. Ingrid

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Moving the water will help, but even better would be to squeeze out all

that
brown stuff from the indoor filters into the filter area. Look at Doc
Johnson's method of seeding bead filters.

snip

Now I am getting more of an idea...fill a 5 gallon bucket full of filter
media, and pump the aquarium water thru it. Hmmm....

BV.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 03-03-2004, 04:10 PM

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Moving the water will help, but even better would be to squeeze out all

that
brown stuff from the indoor filters into the filter area. Look at Doc
Johnson's method of seeding bead filters.

snip

Now I am getting more of an idea...fill a 5 gallon bucket full of filter
media, and pump the aquarium water thru it. Hmmm....

BV.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Season Startup ~ jan[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 11 12-04-2009 04:15 AM
startup club M.E. Gardening 3 15-02-2006 09:03 PM
Inexpensive Bio Balls or Rock for Bio Filter TomM in NY Ponds 5 21-04-2004 12:08 AM
Startup Plants - have extra? Josh Ponds 12 24-03-2004 08:43 AM
Aqua Medic CO2 Reactor Startup The Kenosha Kid Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 02-02-2004 04:03 AM