Old 26-03-2004, 06:32 PM
tim chandler

Default Source for pond plants in Memphis?

Does anyone know of a good source for pond plants in or near Memphis, TN?
The Home Depot on Poplar this year does not seem to be carrying any!

The fish are happy with temps in the 70s but the pond is in full sun now
since we removed several trees, so we need plants plants and more plants!

Thanks,
Tim

Old 27-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Pond Newbie

You can order a lot of stuff through the mail. There are some plants that aren't shippable
because of where you live (some things are considered invasive or a nuisance, and thus are
illegal in some areas.)

Home Depot here carries some pond plants (as does Wal-Mart) but I have had BAD luck with
them. They are in undersized mesh baskets, and do not grow well, even right from the
beginning. I went to a local pond store, paid about double the price, but now have live,
healthy plants.

I am ordering my oxygenating plants from Shari, this year. You can find a link to her
online store on my pond page. If you call her, she can let you know what she has available
right now, and how soon she can send it out to you.

I think the stock that stores like Home Depot have may end up having been packaged, dried
out like they are, and stored in warehouses for too long. They were a lot cheaper, but in
the long run, they just aren't growing. I know their demise wasn't due to anything I did,
because the plants I got from the pond place are doing GREAT. Sometimes, you get what you
pay for, I guess.

DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-

Old 01-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Toad

Does anyone know of a good source for pond plants in or near Memphis, TN?
The Home Depot on Poplar this year does not seem to be carrying any!

There is a garden supply store (the name escapes me) in front of Lowe's on
Germantown Parkway, just North of the Wolf river, that has a large supply of
plants, fish, stones, etc. for your pond. I bought plants and fish from them
last year, and all are flourishing. Lowe's also has some plants from time to
time, I've had good luck with them too, but the people at the garden supply
place have a wealth of knowledge that they don't mind sharing, the folks at
Lowe's don't.
Hope this helps,
Byron