Old 31-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Nedra

Default BZT or Scoop the Leaves Out

But my pond is 2850 gallons and 3.4 deep where the parts of
leaves are. I have alot of trouble bending down to reach the
area... bad knees Today is cold and rainy so I'll go out with
the net as many times as I can stand it and continue to march.

Thanks for your advice though

Nedra

"Wayne" wrote in message
Nedra, I have a small 220 gallon preform pond and I rake my leaves out. I
just reach out to the middle, drag my fan rake gently along the bottom

until
it reaches the edge and then I carefully pull it up along the side of the
pond, being careful not to let the leaves slip between the end of the rake
and the pond edge. The water neatly drains out through the leaves and fan
rake blades and then I just dump the leaves into a bucket. If you do it
slowly, you won't make much of a disturbance in the water and the fish
always seem to get out of the way. I did catch a large bullfrog the other
day when I was raking the pond. I took him down to Goose Creek, a few
hundred yards below my house.

The rake approach works good on areas that you can reach. I wouldn't

think
that it would hurt a pond liner, especially if you use a plastic rake. I
use a metal one with my preform just because that's the only one that I
have. Just thought that I would share. You people have certainly helped

me
a lot, just by posting and my reading them. Good luck!

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm wondering how to remove a small pile of small pieces of
leaves and general gunk that has collected right next to the
in pond filter. I just noticed it today.... tried to scoop the
mess out and ended up spreading it all over
First on my list for tomorrow.

Is it okay for me to use a dosage or two of the Koizyme?
To insure the health of my fish?

Nedra

"Lee B." wrote in message
Nope. Sorry - BZT works for poop and other "stuff", but large things

like
leaves should be removed well before they can decompose (think dead.
Rotting. Putrid. BAaad for fish).

Lee

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
Is BZT a reasonable replacement for scooping out the bottom debris?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 01-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Nedra

Thanks, Sue. I think I'll just use the net. It is very fine and the
gunk will not sift through so badly... The fish spawned again
in the early morning so I have to do a water change due to
ammonia spike ... The koi
have grown alot in the last year .... most frequent water changes
are on the docket. Holy Cowwww.... Whatta spring

Nedra

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...

m...

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm wondering how to remove a small pile of small pieces of
leaves and general gunk that has collected right next to the
in pond filter...

Wayne, the "rake" idea sounds great. I have never done this but just
an added thought or two.

For small areas they make a smaller plastic version called a shrub
rake, which might do well in tight spots. These do have shorter
handles so one may need to extend the handle with another piece of
pole to reach some areas.

Also, Nedra I'd like to improvise on Wayne's rake idea. Cut a piece
of soft window screening to fit the rake shape attatching it with
something like fishing line or heavy coat thread to the underside of
the rake. I think now smaller pieces would not slip through the
tines. This might be a way to get the broken smaller pieces you
mentioned out. Water would still drain through the mesh and rake.
I've never done this but I bet it could work.

Of course if you have shelves along the edges of your pond all bets
are off )

Sue W

Old 01-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Wayne

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...

m...

"Nedra" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your improvision, Sue. That's what I like about this group.
Everyone is so helpful and I rarely see anyone showing poor netiquette.
Ponders are great!

Old 01-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Wayne

You're welcome, Nedra! Good luck with everything this year. I'm anxious to
plant my garden now.... Zone 7A, Charlotte, NC.

ink.net...

Old 01-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Just Me \Koi\

OK Share holders! Time to remind our BV here that he can't go lazy on us!
BV, get the rubber shoes, the nets, etc and jump in to the pond and clean it
the old fashion way!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 01-04-2004, 08:18 PM
BenignVanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
OK Share holders! Time to remind our BV here that he can't go lazy on us!
BV, get the rubber shoes, the nets, etc and jump in to the pond and clean

it
the old fashion way!

snip

I have been a-scoopin' for a few weeks now. A bit here, a bit there. The
water is nice and clear, but I still need to get plenty of leaves out. I
think I'll just have to jump in and bear it soon. I also need to get the
huge container with the lotus tubor out of the pond, so that will require
entrance as well.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 02-04-2004, 04:05 AM
jammer

I had a foul smell in the pond and the fish weren't looking happy. I
flooded the pond and hooked up the aireator. The pond and smell
cleared, but there sure is a lot of algea on the sides. But last year
by the time the tadpoles were grown, the sides were CLEAN. So i will
leave it eventhough it bugs me. I know there will be plenty of tad
food, anyway. I have maybe 4 weeks before the toads come out to play.

Goodie, goodie, goodie

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:38:02 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
. ..
OK Share holders! Time to remind our BV here that he can't go lazy

on us!
BV, get the rubber shoes, the nets, etc and jump in to the pond and

clean
it
the old fashion way!

snip

I have been a-scoopin' for a few weeks now. A bit here, a bit there.

The
water is nice and clear, but I still need to get plenty of leaves

out. I
think I'll just have to jump in and bear it soon. I also need to get

the
huge container with the lotus tubor out of the pond, so that will

require
entrance as well.

Front Scoop for Craftsman Lawn Tractors NCLouis Lawns 2 29-05-2006 05:06 AM
BZT update Szpond Ponds 12 11-06-2003 09:44 PM
BZT Szpond Ponds 45 03-06-2003 05:56 PM
BZT - Ponder's Special ~ jan Ponds 16 25-05-2003 02:44 PM
BZT Joan Pomatto Ponds 1 23-05-2003 03:45 PM