Old 30-03-2004, 11:35 PM
BenignVanilla

Default BZT or Scoop the Leaves Out

Is BZT a reasonable replacement for scooping out the bottom debris?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 30-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Lee B.

Nope. Sorry - BZT works for poop and other "stuff", but large things like
leaves should be removed well before they can decompose (think dead.
Rotting. Putrid. BAaad for fish).

Lee

Old 31-03-2004, 01:29 AM
Nedra

I'm wondering how to remove a small pile of small pieces of
leaves and general gunk that has collected right next to the
in pond filter. I just noticed it today.... tried to scoop the
mess out and ended up spreading it all over
First on my list for tomorrow.

Is it okay for me to use a dosage or two of the Koizyme?
To insure the health of my fish?

Nedra

Old 31-03-2004, 02:31 AM
RichToyBox

If it didn't smell like rotten eggs, high in hydrogen sulfide, then the
koizyme won't hurt. If it smelled of H2S then it should have been treated
immediately with PP to neutralize the H2S.
--
RichToyBox

ink.net...

Old 31-03-2004, 03:22 AM
Nedra

Rich, I didn't smell anything at all. I still haven't gotten alot
of it out of the pond. Also, I would never Ever use PP.
I am far too accident prone to try that stuff. In the morning
I'll put salt in the pond ... along with Koizyme. That is
about the extent of my medications

Water temp is 58 degrees... but we have a cold spell coming
in ... so, anybody's guess what it will be in the morning.

Thanks so much for your attempt to help this ole gal!

Nedra

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
If it didn't smell like rotten eggs, high in hydrogen sulfide, then the
koizyme won't hurt. If it smelled of H2S then it should have been treated
immediately with PP to neutralize the H2S.
--
RichToyBox

ink.net...

Old 31-03-2004, 04:06 AM
Wayne

Nedra, I have a small 220 gallon preform pond and I rake my leaves out. I
just reach out to the middle, drag my fan rake gently along the bottom until
it reaches the edge and then I carefully pull it up along the side of the
pond, being careful not to let the leaves slip between the end of the rake
and the pond edge. The water neatly drains out through the leaves and fan
rake blades and then I just dump the leaves into a bucket. If you do it
slowly, you won't make much of a disturbance in the water and the fish
always seem to get out of the way. I did catch a large bullfrog the other
day when I was raking the pond. I took him down to Goose Creek, a few
hundred yards below my house.

The rake approach works good on areas that you can reach. I wouldn't think
that it would hurt a pond liner, especially if you use a plastic rake. I
use a metal one with my preform just because that's the only one that I
have. Just thought that I would share. You people have certainly helped me
a lot, just by posting and my reading them. Good luck!

ink.net...

Old 31-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Sue Walsh

"Wayne" wrote in message m...
Nedra, I have a small 220 gallon preform pond and I rake my leaves out. I
just reach out to the middle, drag my fan rake gently along the bottom until
it reaches the edge and then I carefully pull it up along the side of the
pond, being careful not to let the leaves slip between the end of the rake
and the pond edge. The water neatly drains out through the leaves and fan
rake blades and then I just dump the leaves into a bucket. If you do it
slowly, you won't make much of a disturbance in the water and the fish
always seem to get out of the way.
The rake approach works good on areas that you can reach. I wouldn't think
that it would hurt a pond liner, especially if you use a plastic rake...

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm wondering how to remove a small pile of small pieces of
leaves and general gunk that has collected right next to the
in pond filter...

Wayne, the "rake" idea sounds great. I have never done this but just
an added thought or two.

For small areas they make a smaller plastic version called a shrub
rake, which might do well in tight spots. These do have shorter
handles so one may need to extend the handle with another piece of
pole to reach some areas.

Also, Nedra I'd like to improvise on Wayne's rake idea. Cut a piece
of soft window screening to fit the rake shape attatching it with
something like fishing line or heavy coat thread to the underside of
the rake. I think now smaller pieces would not slip through the
tines. This might be a way to get the broken smaller pieces you
mentioned out. Water would still drain through the mesh and rake.
I've never done this but I bet it could work.

Of course if you have shelves along the edges of your pond all bets
are off )

Sue W

Front Scoop for Craftsman Lawn Tractors NCLouis Lawns 2 29-05-2006 05:06 AM
BZT update Szpond Ponds 12 11-06-2003 09:44 PM
BZT Szpond Ponds 45 03-06-2003 05:56 PM
BZT - Ponder's Special ~ jan Ponds 16 25-05-2003 02:44 PM
BZT Joan Pomatto Ponds 1 23-05-2003 03:45 PM