Old 12-01-2005, 02:29 PM
kathy

Go here
http://ihmp.net/@/y

The device is called a Heron Scarer.

kathy :-)

Old 12-01-2005, 02:29 PM
kathy

Go here
http://ihmp.net/@/y

The device is called a Heron Scarer.

kathy :-)

Old 12-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Roy" wrote in message
Shoot the darn thing and be done with it..

snip

So is this what you consider good advice for newbies?

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 12-01-2005, 04:39 PM
ah

Roy wrote:
ShooTHOK

Shuttup.
--
ah
Old 12-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Mike Patterson

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:09:25 -0600, Katra
wrote:

In article ,
~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Can anyone help? I am a new Koi keeper, I put my first six Koi into my
newly built pond in November. 10 days ago when I wend down to feed
them there were only five Koi and three of my gold fish had also gone.
I have a Heron that comes to the pond every day. I have tried putting
a fake Heron at the side of the pond but the real one keeps coming
back. Any ideas on how I can get rid of it? Also since the fish went
missing the other Koi and gold fish in the pond will no longer come up
to the surface. They sit on the bottom of the pond all the time and
wont feed. Any advice would be appreciated.

I swear by the motion sprinkler, but you may have to put netting up for
awhile, since the heron has fed. Most deterrents work best before the bird
has been rewarded. And if Kathy didn't mention it in her list, fake fish,
drives them insane. ~ jan

Where do you get fish decoys???

That sounds like a marvelous idea!

Black PVC pipe for hides? The fish use that?

I put 3 pieces of 8" black plastic corrugated pipe in my pond, about 2
feet long. Used a torch to soften the cut edges before dropping in,
and put a few small stones in each to keep them on the bottom.

I've seen them in there after a heron visited this summer, so I think
it works.

YMMV
Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Old 12-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Richard Baptista

The only way I have managed to keep herons away was to net the pond.
If
you make a frame with the net tacked on to it, place it over the pond. It
can be lifted off when you're out in the Garden.

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"mo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone help? I am a new Koi keeper, I put my first six Koi into my
newly built pond in November. 10 days ago when I wend down to feed
them there were only five Koi and three of my gold fish had also gone.
I have a Heron that comes to the pond every day. I have tried putting
a fake Heron at the side of the pond but the real one keeps coming
back. Any ideas on how I can get rid of it? Also since the fish went
missing the other Koi and gold fish in the pond will no longer come up
to the surface. They sit on the bottom of the pond all the time and
wont feed. Any advice would be appreciated.

You might try asking over in rec.ponds.

But, pond netting is usually the best option. Just keep it off the

surface,
so you don't snag the fish. If you're in the southern US, a floating
aligator might work. Some people swear by the electric fence, but it was

too
short to stop my Heron.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Nedra Sucks

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:39:25 GMT, ah wrote:

===Roy wrote:
=== ShooTHOK
===
===Shuttup.

AHHHHHHHHHH, YOU ALREADY SAID THAT, WHATS A MATTER, YOU HAVE A STUTTER
PROBLEM OR WHAT? NOW BITE MY ASS DWEEB!

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Sooooooooooooooooolow to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

Old 12-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Katra

In article . com,
"kathy" wrote:

Go here
http://ihmp.net/@/y

The device is called a Heron Scarer.

kathy :-)

Cool! :-)

I've never shopped Froogle before.

Obviously Herons are a huge universal problem if they make products
specifically for them eh?
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 12-01-2005, 07:08 PM

Uhhh,

Put netting over your Koi pond and that's it. My grandad had the same
problem with the herons.

OK
john

Old 12-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Cichlidiot

In rec.ponds kathy wrote:
My labradors and I were able to scare a heron away
over a two day period.

Don't discount the power of dogs. I saw on that Animal Planet "dog jobs"
(or maybe it was the breed profile, forget exactly) show that a fish
breeder in FL uses trained dogs to scare away migratory birds. The dogs
were trained to chase and bark at any birds that try to land in their
area, but not to touch or attack the birds (thus keeping them legal in
terms of the migratory bird act). The dogs were also under constant
supervision by a handler to make sure they adhered to their training.
According to the story, it made a significant reduction in losses to have
the dogs around the outdoor stock ponds.