Old 13-01-2005, 07:39 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Katra" wrote in message

My border collie is faster than any bird, and has killed small possums
coming into the yard.

## My Doberman and large mutt has killed possums too. :-(

The thing is, if your dog manages to grab and kill a heron (and I know
Jewely would!) how much trouble would you be in?

## Who would know?

It's not like you meant
for it to happen, and the great blues and little greens are not an
endangered species.

## No one would know unless you told them. Your dog killing one is not the
same as you shooting it.

I like Herons and have rescued them and would hate to see one killed,
but accidents can happen. I'm just wondering what the authorities feel
about the natural instincts of certain breeds of dogs?

## You can call the Dept. of the Interior for information or the Wildlife
Service where you live.

--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway."

Old 13-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote in message
snip
I concure. The hooting, hollering, flapping your arms, screaming while
your dog barks at you technique is so far working well for me.

It worked for us for awhile as well. Then the herons came so early in the
morning we were still asleep. Do you ever sleep? Some learned to come at
sundown when we weren't likely out in the yard. We had better things to

do
than sit at the windows from morning to night watching and guarding the
ponds. Do you pay someone to guard your pond when you're out of town or

at
work? Kingfishers drop out of nowhere and all the flapping, screaming and
barking dogs will not stop them. By the time you get out the door the KF
is flying away with the fish.
--

So far, so good...

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 13-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Benign Vanilla

"~ Windsong ~" P@P wrote in message

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Carol wrote #a whole lot of things,
debating each and every point of BV and mine
and jan's

=====================
Carol,
I'm very pleased nets work for you.
Really.
I just get tired of you always posting how every other
method won't work. They DO work. For some ponders.

## For *few* ponders. None that I ever knew. However I knew several

over
the years that spent a lot of time and money with sprayers, running wire

all
around their ponds, fake fish etc, (including myself, except the sprayer)
and the herons and King Fishers kept right on getting the fish. Perhaps
these things work in towns or in cities where these birds are rare to

start
with. But to post as though they do and WILL in general *work* is
misleading. Perhaps we should ask where the people are located who are
asking about herons.

I think Kathy is just saying there are options that work. For example, by
hooting, hollering, running, screaming, flapping my arms technique (patent
pending) has worked very well. No fish loss from Heron so far. Your Heron
and Kingfishers may be more persistent then mine. I have many ponds in yards
around me, so maybe they just other, quieter sources of food. Either way, my
solution has so far...worked very well.
snip

## How can they make an educated choice without hearing form those who

tried
these other methods and none worked long-term and why? Do you realize

some
people are blaming herons for taking fish when the problem is snakes or
frogs? We need to ask them if these predators are also in their pond. I
don't recall anyone asking them that question. Some people never see a
snake but suddenly find a shed skin near their pond. We can't assume

every
missing fish ended up dinner for some heron.

snip

True that. Last year, one of our Koi disappeared, plants knocked over and a
very racoon like scat was found on the edge of the pond. Dern Racoons. My
neighbor even mentioned to me he saw a racoon walking down the street
towards my house. He must have heard about the buffet. My fish will swim
into your hand if you sit there, so they are certainly dinner options for
animals.

Old 13-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Katra" wrote in message
snip
My border collie is faster than any bird, and has killed small possums
coming into the yard.

The thing is, if your dog manages to grab and kill a heron (and I know
Jewely would!) how much trouble would you be in? It's not like you meant
for it to happen, and the great blues and little greens are not an
endangered species.

I like Herons and have rescued them and would hate to see one killed,
but accidents can happen. I'm just wondering what the authorities feel
about the natural instincts of certain breeds of dogs?

snip

I suspect you'd be in no trouble at all. Your dog in your yard? Hardly a
crime. Now, if you shot the bird and held it down for spot to kill, that
might be an issue.

Old 13-01-2005, 03:50 PM
2pods

What I want to know is what herons taste like ?

Peter
"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
San Diego Joe wrote:

"Katra" wrote:

In article ,
~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

snip

Where do you get fish decoys???

/snip

When any of my fish go belly up, I just have them stuffed, waterproofed
and
put back in the pond attached to a small anchor.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Now that is an interesting idea!!!
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

Old 13-01-2005, 03:50 PM
2pods

What I want to know is what herons taste like ?

Peter
"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
San Diego Joe wrote:

Old 13-01-2005, 03:50 PM
2pods

What I want to know is what herons taste like ?

Peter
"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
San Diego Joe wrote:

Old 13-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Benign Vanilla

"2pods" wrote in message
What I want to know is what herons taste like ?

snip

Resist....urge....to....say....

Aghhhhhh

THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!!!!!

Old 13-01-2005, 04:00 PM
2pods

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"2pods" wrote in message
What I want to know is what herons taste like ?

snip

Resist....urge....to....say....

Aghhhhhh

Good enough for me and the cats :-)