Old 12-01-2005, 07:23 PM
~ Windsong ~

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Options for herons
- netting the pond
- use a motion activated sprinkler
- goldfish decoy, heron goes for it first,
gives the fish time to hide in a
- black pvc pipe

My labradors and I were able to scare a heron away
over a two day period.

kathy

=================
That worked for me as well,... for about a week and they came back! Only a
net works 100% of the time.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway."

Old 12-01-2005, 07:26 PM
~ Windsong ~

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message

I swear by the motion sprinkler, but you may have to put netting up for
awhile, since the heron has fed. Most deterrents work best before the bird
has been rewarded. And if Kathy didn't mention it in her list, fake fish,
drives them insane. ~ jan

=====================
The herons here took the fake fish one time,... learned their lesson and
went back to the real fish ignoring the fake completely.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:28 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Katra" wrote in message

Where do you get fish decoys???

$ There was a place online that sold them. However I stumbled upon mine in
a store in Atlanta GA for $1.99 each. :-) Keep in mind that herons are
very intelligent so this is only a temporary deterrent.

That sounds like a marvelous idea!

$ Until you can get netting - it is.

Black PVC pipe for hides? The fish use that?

$ Mine didn't. The heron waits, as still as death, until the fish finally
sneak out - then they get the fish.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Cichlidiot

In rec.ponds Benign Vanilla wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message
Shoot the darn thing and be done with it..

snip

So is this what you consider good advice for newbies?

Hmm, go on vacation, come back to find a troll named Roy has taken up
residence. BV, don't bother replying to Roy. The more people that do reply
to him (particularly "ah" with the autoreply, that's utterly pointless and
just ups the signal to noise ratio), the more he will post. I regular
another newsgroup that has had a resident troll for years. For the most
part, newbies quickly recognize that the person is a troll by the nature
of his postings. The more the regulars ignore the resident troll, the less
clutter the newsgroup has. The threads that have the worst signal to noise
ratio are the ones where people reply to the troll there. Seeing similar
trends here when perusing the old messages for the last couple of weeks.
Just hold to the old "wait and count to 10" adage when you feel tempted to
reply.

Although in this case it is worthwhile to point out that what Roy has
"suggested" is illegal under the migratory bird act. Which is another
point in favor of labeling him a troll.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:36 PM
~ Windsong ~

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Go here
http://ihmp.net/@/y

The device is called a Heron Scarer.

=========================
The herons will learn to fish from right next to the scarer so they don't
get sprinkled. They land and come up behind it. Herons are very
intelligent birds/predators. It's another temporary waste of money where
herons are concerned. If the hose pops or leaks and you're asleep or away
from home for the day, you're water bill will be sky high. Also these water
scarers are useless against King Fishers, fish eating snakes, fish eating
turtles and fish eating bullfrogs.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:36 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Katra" wrote in message
In article . com,
"kathy" wrote:

Go here
http://ihmp.net/@/y

The device is called a Heron Scarer.

kathy :-)

Cool! :-)

I've never shopped Froogle before.

Obviously Herons are a huge universal problem if they make products
specifically for them eh?

====================
And in the end only bird netting works. :-(

Old 12-01-2005, 07:44 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message

I've seen them in there after a heron visited this summer, so I think
it works.

====================
Trust me. It doesn't. The herons will stand as still as death until the
fish forget it's there and venture out - then the heron strikes. I watched
and saw it happen from my dining room window. We were replacing koi monthly
and it was both heart breaking and expensive. I tried everything, then
finally got the fine, strong black bird netting. We never lost another
fish. The net also works with the other fish predators in many areas.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:59 PM
kathy

Carol wrote And in the end only bird netting works

Netting is always an option
but some people really don't want to net their ponds.
For them it spoils the look,
makes it hard to work in the pond,
ruins the look of tall marginals,
gets blown off,
for me it is a danger for my dogs, younger children, the squirrels
and the birds.
Herons have stabbed through nets, green herons have wriggled under
nets. If you tangle up a heron in your net and kill it you have some
serious explaining to do to the feds.
Other options DO work for other ponders so I think it is important to
list them as they DO work.
I most always list netting as an option but other options
DO WORK for other ponders.

kathy