Old 01-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Bill Kerrell

Default Mosquito Fish

My pond was new last July. A friend gave me a few 6 or 7 Mosquito fish so we
would have some fish to start in the new pond.. Now 10 months later there
are to many to count. I am sure everyone know what I mean. Is there any kind
of control of them, Do they eat the Goldfish and Koi eggs or fry? .... I
thought of netting some of them and taking them to a nearby lake, But it
seems that even if a few are left, the problem remains. The pond is 1500
gallons, 8 X 10' 3.5 ft deep, I say that so that you know I couldn't get
them all anyway ......
Bill
Pensacola, FL

Old 01-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Daniel Phillips

On Sat, 1 May 2004 14:52:35 -0500, "Bill Kerrell"
wrote:

My pond was new last July. A friend gave me a few 6 or 7 Mosquito fish so we
would have some fish to start in the new pond.. Now 10 months later there
are to many to count. I am sure everyone know what I mean. Is there any kind
of control of them, Do they eat the Goldfish and Koi eggs or fry? .... I
thought of netting some of them and taking them to a nearby lake, But it
seems that even if a few are left, the problem remains. The pond is 1500
gallons, 8 X 10' 3.5 ft deep, I say that so that you know I couldn't get
them all anyway ......
Bill
Pensacola, FL

You probably don't want to release them into a lake. I think that's
normally a crime--that's all I can really offer to you for certain.

I wished I had mosquito fish. I probably would see if anyone in your
area is interested in having some. If not, I guess it's be time to
invest in an aquarium or other ponds, or to just net a bunch of them
up and humanely anestheize them.

Perhaps you can buy a predatory fish or two to keep the population in
check?? Not even sure what would gobble them up, or if they would work
in your pond.

Daniel Phillips

[+]bandito[-]spam = [-]toppler.[+]zworg.com
Be warned, may mistakingly bounce back as spam.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:09 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

As far as dumping them in a lake, don't miss the thread on the Snakehead. I
think it starts with: Just when you think it is safe.

Don't know what FL laws are, but in WA state this fish can be IN your pond,
but not transported without a permit. Probably because of people sticking
them where they don't belong.

Yes, they do eat goldfish eggs/fry and everything else eggs/fry/frog
eggs/poles. To get rid of, drain the pond, but some people do appreciate
the population control in their ponds. ~ jan

On Sat, 1 May 2004 14:52:35 -0500, "Bill Kerrell" wrote:

My pond was new last July. A friend gave me a few 6 or 7 Mosquito fish so we
would have some fish to start in the new pond.. Now 10 months later there
are to many to count. I am sure everyone know what I mean. Is there any kind
of control of them, Do they eat the Goldfish and Koi eggs or fry? .... I
thought of netting some of them and taking them to a nearby lake, But it
seems that even if a few are left, the problem remains. The pond is 1500
gallons, 8 X 10' 3.5 ft deep, I say that so that you know I couldn't get
them all anyway ......
Bill
Pensacola, FL

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)

Old 02-05-2004, 01:12 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

We value the mosquito fishes work limiting mosquitos. We too came to have
thousands of them. To deal with it, we have gone to the 2-litre-pop-bottle
minnow trap and feed hundreds at a time to our oscars. We are now down to a
modest but too heavy population. We will continue to thin them.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 02-05-2004, 08:05 PM
joe

I did it the other way around - I put my Oscar in the pond!

Joe

Old 02-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

We thought about that process. It would grow like mad for the summer. We
weren't sure how to manage the extraction for the fall. Any ideas?

Also, we need a few mosquito fish in the pond for the mosquitos.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:06 PM
joe

We bought a roll of bird netting and unrolled across a section of the pond.
Then, when he came along for his pellets we slowly lifted the "net" up and
voila! Into an aquarium for the winter. He wasn't happy though.

Joe

Old 04-05-2004, 04:07 AM
Snooze

"Bill Kerrell" wrote in message
My pond was new last July. A friend gave me a few 6 or 7 Mosquito fish so

we
would have some fish to start in the new pond.. Now 10 months later there
are to many to count. I am sure everyone know what I mean. Is there any

kind
of control of them, Do they eat the Goldfish and Koi eggs or fry? .... I
thought of netting some of them and taking them to a nearby lake, But it
seems that even if a few are left, the problem remains. The pond is 1500
gallons, 8 X 10' 3.5 ft deep, I say that so that you know I couldn't get
them all anyway ......
Bill
Pensacola, FL

Out here, in California, the Vector Control Board is government agency that
gives away mosquito fish, and coordinates the release of them into certain
lakes/ponds.

I'm sure if look in the phone book under the government section, for Vector
Control, or Mosquito & Vector Control (often in the county or state section)
Or you can call the water company, they often know what to do with mosquito
fish.

I bet the vector control will gladly come and pick up your extra mosquito
fish. Failing that, try calling this company.

Mosquitoes No More
(850) 433-9950
3310 Logan Dr
Pensacola, FL 32503