Old 22-05-2004, 01:11 AM
HTH

Default Filter Material

I am looking for a coarse material to use as the first stage in
my pond filters.
I have found a aspen fiber mat used in evaporative coolers from
dial mfg. Product Num 3003. Sold at Lowes.

The URL to the tech hazard data sheet is at.

http://www.dialmfg.com/Technical%20A...MSDS/Aspen.htm

If I read it right it is just a fiber mat in a nylon net cover.
There is some glue (looks like a hot melt) that closes the net
cover on the ends. It could be cut off.

The pad is 24 by 30 inches and costs about $3.

Will it work. Any suggested alternatives.

HTH

Old 22-05-2004, 07:03 AM
chagoi

HTH wrote:
I am looking for a coarse material to use as the first stage in
my pond filters.
I have found a aspen fiber mat used in evaporative coolers from
dial mfg. Product Num 3003. Sold at Lowes.

The URL to the tech hazard data sheet is at.

http://www.dialmfg.com/Technical%20A...MSDS/Aspen.htm

If I read it right it is just a fiber mat in a nylon net cover.
There is some glue (looks like a hot melt) that closes the net
cover on the ends. It could be cut off.

The pad is 24 by 30 inches and costs about $3.

Will it work. Any suggested alternatives.

HTH

Check out your local Home Depot for a product called "Cobra vent".
It comes in 11.8"(299mm) wide X 20'(6.1m)long X .75"(19mm)thick roll.
It is a non woven matrix of polyester fibers bonded together.
I have used it in all of my filters and pumps, for a year now, with no
side effects. It is really stiff and easily washes out.

Smoe info on the product:
http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/ccmc/registry/10/12961_e.pdf

http://www.accurateroofing.com/cobra.htm

Chagoi

-- If the world was a logical place
men would ride side saddle.

-- If you don't disagree with me, how will I know I'm right?

Old 22-05-2004, 01:03 PM
chagoi

"chagoi" wrote in message

HTH wrote:

[...]

Building materials roofing soffet and roof vents

Chagoi

-- Microsoft XP --- "X"tra "P"atches, "X"tra "P"roblems, "X"tra "P"rofit,
"X"tra "P"ain, "X"tra "P"anic, "X"tra "P"athetic, "Xtra "P"ernicious
--- take your "P"ick

Old 22-05-2004, 04:07 PM

what is the name of the blue filter material for furnace filters found in Walmart?
that everyone uses? Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 22-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Heather

I picked up a white filter product intended for furnaces that looks a little
like quilt batting. However it says on the package that it has been treated
with a microbial to inhibit microbe growth. Since I wanted to put it at the
top of my lava filter I am concerned that it will kill the beneficial
bacteria there. If I wash it will that help or should I just forget it?

Thanks,
Heather

"Bonnie" wrote in message
what is the name of the blue filter material for furnace filters found

in Walmart?
that everyone uses? Ingrid

Mine says "Natural Aire" and is made by Precision Aire

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 22-05-2004, 06:07 PM
George

wrote in message
what is the name of the blue filter material for furnace filters found in
Walmart?
that everyone uses? Ingrid

I believe that is fiberglass, but I could be wrong.

Old 23-05-2004, 07:24 AM
HTH

I think what Ingrid is talking about is the stuff I was looking for.
The problem is I was looking at the home centers and it lives at Wally
WORLD.

It is not the common blue fiberglass filters that most furnaces use.
It is a much heavier and perhaps more open matt. The fibers are encased
in a fiberglass net with about 1/4 inch between threads.

It is faily good a pick up larger particles and extends the life of the
poly batting that I use under it.

HTH

Old 23-05-2004, 07:24 AM
HTH

I would be more worried about it killing fish.

Go to the crafts section and pick up some of the polyester batting used
to make quilts. The brand I have been using is Create-A-Craft. Most
possibly from Wally WORLD.

HTH

Old 23-05-2004, 07:28 AM
George

Heather wrote:

I picked up a white filter product intended for furnaces that looks a little
like quilt batting. However it says on the package that it has been treated
with a microbial to inhibit microbe growth. Since I wanted to put it at the
top of my lava filter I am concerned that it will kill the beneficial
bacteria there. If I wash it will that help or should I just forget it?

Thanks,
Heather

Most likely it won't kill the fish. However, if you are trying to use if for
mechanical and biological filtration, it certainly will not allow the bacteria
to colonize in it. I wouldn't use it.

Old 23-05-2004, 07:28 AM
George

"HTH" wrote in message
I think what Ingrid is talking about is the stuff I was looking for.
The problem is I was looking at the home centers and it lives at Wally WORLD.

It is not the common blue fiberglass filters that most furnaces use.
It is a much heavier and perhaps more open matt. The fibers are encased in a
fiberglass net with about 1/4 inch between threads.

It is faily good a pick up larger particles and extends the life of the
poly batting that I use under it.

HTH

Here is an interesting article on filtration, if you are interested.

http://www.akca.org/library/trickle.htm

I use open pore polyester foam (about 1/3 inch in thickness) as a mechanical
filter in my prefilter. It works well, and with my biological filter working
properly, I don't have to clean it very often.

UV filter + material blobby Ponds 5 15-10-2009 06:43 PM
Matala filter material Joe[_12_] Ponds (moderated) 4 03-05-2008 04:13 PM
what to use as filter material! jimmy d Ponds 4 24-07-2006 02:37 AM
Filter material Priscilla McCullough Ponds 3 29-05-2003 05:56 AM
Filter material question Marc Tripp Ponds 1 22-05-2003 06:44 AM