Old 04-06-2004, 10:03 AM

Default new Harry Potter film

I hated it. it is a dark and grubby movie with dark and grubby "realistic" sets.
the director stripped nearly all the magic out of the film ... and stripped out all
the fun and warmth. yech.... Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:05 PM
GrannyGrump

I hated it. it is a dark and grubby movie with dark and grubby "realistic" sets.
the director stripped nearly all the magic out of the film ... and stripped out all
the fun and warmth. yech.... Ingrid

Glad I decided to wait until it was on TV to watch it, if it is that
yucky.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
I hated it. it is a dark and grubby movie with dark and grubby

"realistic" sets.
the director stripped nearly all the magic out of the film ... and

stripped out all
the fun and warmth. yech.... Ingrid

What about Shrek 2?

BV.

Old 04-06-2004, 04:07 PM

It wasnt as good as the first. like MIB 2 wasnt as good as the original. but at
least they didnt put in a Kafkaeske overtones and make it an "edgier" movie.
a lot of the critics use terminology when describing this HP that is really a cover
for all that it lacks.
England is lush and green and foggy and that is why it is a good setting for magical,
for Stonehenge, for the Arthurian tales. Cuaron created this overly bright, rocky
steep sloped setting and light it so that every pimple shows. on everything.
everything looks old and old in a worn out and unloved way.
double yeck. Ingrid

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:
What about Shrek 2?

BV.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 04-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
It wasnt as good as the first. like MIB 2 wasnt as good as the original.

but at
least they didnt put in a Kafkaeske overtones and make it an "edgier"

movie.
a lot of the critics use terminology when describing this HP that is

really a cover
for all that it lacks.
England is lush and green and foggy and that is why it is a good setting

for magical,
for Stonehenge, for the Arthurian tales. Cuaron created this overly

bright, rocky
steep sloped setting and light it so that every pimple shows. on

everything.
everything looks old and old in a worn out and unloved way.
double yeck. Ingrid

Sounds like you are as passionate about this as I am about the LoTR series.

BV.

Old 05-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Gene Shalot, ABC movie critique thought it was the best
of the HP series. He did mention that some might be
bothered by some of the changes, but several of the
original actors have died, and so needed replacements.
He also mentioned that it is hard to reproduce a
500 plus page book into a movie that is only two hours
long. It is the screenwriters decision as to what to
put in from the book and want to leave out. Of course,
computer graphics, which were missing in the first
movie, are much more apparent in the realism of this
production, one the best being the flying horse in both
movies, it is much more believable in the present movie.

Tom L.L.

It wasnt as good as the first. like MIB 2 wasnt as good as the original. but at
least they didnt put in a Kafkaeske overtones and make it an "edgier" movie.
a lot of the critics use terminology when describing this HP that is really a cover
for all that it lacks.
England is lush and green and foggy and that is why it is a good setting for magical,
for Stonehenge, for the Arthurian tales. Cuaron created this overly bright, rocky
steep sloped setting and light it so that every pimple shows. on everything.
everything looks old and old in a worn out and unloved way.
double yeck. Ingrid

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:

What about Shrek 2?

BV.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 05-06-2004, 06:03 PM
dkat

Wow, really sorry to hear that. I had read that they had stripped the movie
of all but the bones of the book (which explains how the longer book could
be a shorter movie).... The books however do get darker as they go
along.... still this should not take away from the magic.... Changing
directors ruined Aliens III in my book. I hope they get their act back
together for the following ones.

wrote in message
I hated it. it is a dark and grubby movie with dark and grubby

"realistic" sets.
the director stripped nearly all the magic out of the film ... and

stripped out all
the fun and warmth. yech.... Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 05-06-2004, 11:15 PM

I dont know where they get the idea of "darker".... the later books have more serious
parts as the kids grow older. People get really hurt, people die. English childrens
books are not as "fluffy". The lemony snicket (sp?) series is supposed to show kids
with difficulty (which I will read if I can get em back from my step sister!).
Rowling is a very VERY tight writer. on her website she even talks about characters
she has dumped cause while interesting they didnt forward the story properly. so
stripping stuff out of her books for the movies is very hard indeed.
they have dumped this director for one more like chris columbus from the first two,
but then I hear they are doing GoF in a single movie, not two which is going to be
very hard indeed seeing how everything is so tight already and the book is 600? pages
long.
Rowling balances the good with the bad. this last movie stripped out all the good
and focused on the bad. Like the quiddich game where he falls when the dementors get
in (they left this in). But after he learns the patronus charm the next quiddich game
Malfoy et all show up looking like dementors but HP zaps em good and wins the game to
great celebration (they left this out).

some of these directors are morons. I dont think many of them had a nice childhood so
they are going to ruin every one elses .... it isnt like we dont have enough of
horror in reality without trying to poison and destroy the fantasy world too.
Ingrid

"dkat" wrote:
Wow, really sorry to hear that. I had read that they had stripped the movie
of all but the bones of the book (which explains how the longer book could
be a shorter movie).... The books however do get darker as they go
along.... still this should not take away from the magic....

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 05-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Evil Noodle

wrote in message
I hated it. it is a dark and grubby movie with dark and grubby
"realistic" sets.
the director stripped nearly all the magic out of the film ... and

stripped
out all the fun and warmth. yech.... Ingrid

Harry Potter is the work of the Devil and should be shunned for the
deviant filth it is.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news1199/potter.html

Old 06-06-2004, 02:08 AM
GrannyGrump

Harry Potter is the work of the Devil and should be shunned for the
deviant filth it is.

Go away Troll.

Old 06-06-2004, 04:06 AM
axeman chris

wrote in message
I hated it. it is a dark and grubby movie with dark and grubby
"realistic" sets.
the director stripped nearly all the magic out of the film ... and

stripped
out all the fun and warmth. yech.... Ingrid

Harry Potter is the work of the Devil and should be shunned for the
deviant filth it is.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news1199/potter.html

Perhaps a troll, but the web site is hilarious!

Jacqui

Old 08-06-2004, 04:43 PM
dkat

I have used the term 'darker' because that is the word that others use
(English is not my first language despite the fact that the U.S. of A is
where I was born and raised - maybe I should say because this is where I was
born and raised...). It is odd that I thoroughly enjoy the Harry Potter
books as an adult but still see them as "children's" books and for that
reason find myself shocked when a "good" character actually dies or when it
seems that evil wins out or gets stronger. I suppose that this is what I
mean by getting darker... As the series develops the "dark side" seems to
gain more and more power and even though Harry continues to conquer his
problems, there is the feeling that he has won a small battle only to
develop the strength to face the bigger one facing him in the near future.
Each ending seems to have more of a sense of suspense and greater danger
ahead. I suppose that is just life but it is not what I think of as the
ending of "children's" books. It is certainly appropriate though and very
well done (except Damn it where are the 6th and 7th book!!!! How much
suspense are we expected to deal with! ). Anyway, I will have to see
the 3rd movie and enjoy it for the characters themselves - filling in the
missing and necessary parts in my minds view. I may though now not go to
the theatre and just wait for the DVD to come out to voice my opinion of
them cutting things to the bone with my $$$. I'll see what my son says
tonight (he and I have the same read on things).

IMO It really is insane of them not to make 2 movies out of the larger
books. Once they have things set up and rolling, the return on the money
has to be far greater doing 2 movies rather than one. If nothing else, they
should do an extended version they can sell on the DVD as they did for LOTR.
Sighhh - I hope this doesn't turn into them doing things on the cheap
because they think they have a captive audience.

"dkat" wrote:
Wow, really sorry to hear that. I had read that they had stripped the

movie
of all but the bones of the book (which explains how the longer book

could
be a shorter movie).... The books however do get darker as they go
along.... still this should not take away from the magic....

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 08-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Anne Lurie

I've not yet seen the latest HP movie, but this may be in keeping with the
author's feeling that things were going to be "darker" in the series
(although I thought she meant in HP 4, with the first death of a character).

I do confess, though, that I was dismayed to read somewhere that the author
"does not know if Harry will live to be an adult."

As for the other movies (further down in this thread), hubby & I were
charmed by Shrek on DVD, and exclaimed that it was so great to see a movie
that we could enjoy with our granddaughter! Neither of us ever having read
LOTR, we managed only about 10 minutes of the first (DVD) movie before we
gave up.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

wrote in message
I hated it. it is a dark and grubby movie with dark and grubby

"realistic" sets.
the director stripped nearly all the magic out of the film ... and

stripped out all
the fun and warmth. yech.... Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 08-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
I hated it. it is a dark and grubby movie with dark and grubby
"realistic" sets.
the director stripped nearly all the magic out of the film ... and

stripped
out all the fun and warmth. yech.... Ingrid

Harry Potter is the work of the Devil and should be shunned for the
deviant filth it is.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news1199/potter.html

Perhaps a troll, but the web site is hilarious!

I almost thought it was real.

BV.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:52 PM
dkat

"dkat" wrote:
Wow, really sorry to hear that. I had read that they had stripped the

movie
of all but the bones of the book (which explains how the longer book

could
be a shorter movie).... The books however do get darker as they go
along.... still this should not take away from the magic....

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Review of Alnwick Garden (Part of Alnwick Castle, which was Hogworts School in Harry Potter) [email protected] Gardening 0 19-03-2007 06:33 PM
OT new Harry Potter film dkat Ponds 19 10-06-2004 08:06 AM
OT Education was new Harry Potter film Ka30P Ponds 5 10-06-2004 05:12 AM
Shrek 2, weas new Harry Potter film Tom L. La Bron Ponds 9 09-06-2004 03:12 PM
OT Harry Potter OT K30a Ponds 71 10-07-2003 05:32 AM