Old 10-06-2004, 10:09 PM
stricks760

Default Some Wierd Kind of Algae

I fought string algae for awhile, and thought it was a pain in the butt.
Now I've got this other kind of algae. It looks kinda like string algae,
but when you touch it, it falls apart.

What is this stuff, and how can I get rid of it? I thought I'd just put a
bunch of water hyacinth, parrot feather, duckweed, etc. and it would
out-compete it for nutrients. Well, everything got all brown and wilted,
EXCEPT for this algae stuff.

I wish I had string algae back -- at least it's easy to capture and throw in
the compost heap. Would a partial water change help?

Old 10-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Ka30P

Everything got all brown and wilted?
Time to look at your water.
A few questions can help our water quality experts.
- How old is your pond?
- Any other plants in there?
- How are they doing?
- Where do you get your water from?
- Does any sort of runoff get into your pond?
- Any herbicides sprayed on your property or nearby property lately?
- Your zone, your general area, your spring conditions?
- Water test results?
- Color of the new algae, brown, blue-green?
- Does it smell?

That's all I can think of. Someone will chime in I'm sure (this is not my area
of expertise).

kathy :-)
Old 11-06-2004, 05:06 AM

That's what algae looks like when it's dead. Much
better than you or I would, I'm sure. It'll settle
to the bottom into silt, and stink up the place like
a couple of bean-eatin' guys at Joe's on Friday night.
If this is settling in your main pond, that's especially
bad since it'll be hard to get out (bottom drain would
take care of it easy). If you have a well-(or luckily-)
designed filter, this accumulates only in the filter
(or upper/veggie pond) and is easily dealt with.

--
'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`' `'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'
SLOTHEAD
Old 11-06-2004, 04:05 PM
stricks760

- How old is your pond?

Started it up last September.

- Any other plants in there?

Water Lilly seems to be doing fine. Watercress, water hyacinth, parrot's
feather, creeping primrose, nada.

- Where do you get your water from?

City water.

- Does any sort of runoff get into your pond?

No (and it doesn't rain here this time of year anyway)

- Any herbicides sprayed on your property or nearby property lately?

Not that I know of. My gardener does fertilize my lawn from time to time,
but it's not adjacent to the pond.

- Your zone, your general area, your spring conditions?

Zone 10b, about 4 miles from the beach in Southern CA.

- Water test results?

I'll test again this weekend. At last test, everything was pretty good
(about 6 weeks ago)

- Color of the new algae, brown, blue-green?

It's light green.

- Does it smell?

Yeah, but not real strong