Old 21-06-2004, 03:13 PM
gerry

Default Kitty Litter destroys String Algae

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:42:20 -0400, gerry wrote:

This is just a post reporting results I had from tips in another thread. I
made it a new thread to highlight it. Take no credit other than my success
story, the concept was posted by others.

I've been fighting string Algae for three years. Barely straw works early
in the year but fails when the trees leaf out and there is too little
sunlight (UV) to make peroxide from straw decay products.

This was a particular problem in my planted stream. harvesting the string
algae would rip up delicate plants such as 4 leaf clover. I have a
waterfall, three stream regions, each with a 10" or mini water fall to
accommodate grading.

I bought Wallmart's "Special Kitty" unscented kitty liter - ingredients
are "ground clay". 25# cost $2.

Update:

A bit over 9 days since the elimination of this nasty stuff, it is
beginning to regrow. I am trying a 2nd treatment and will report back.

Of course, the death of the original mass returned nutrients, but regrowth
would suggest the benefit as not binding a material such as iron.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

Old 26-06-2004, 07:05 PM
gerry

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:51:12 -0400, gerry wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:42:20 -0400, gerry wrote:

This is just a post reporting results I had from tips in another thread. I
made it a new thread to highlight it. Take no credit other than my success
story, the concept was posted by others.

I've been fighting string Algae for three years. Barely straw works early
in the year but fails when the trees leaf out and there is too little
sunlight (UV) to make peroxide from straw decay products.

This was a particular problem in my planted stream. harvesting the string
algae would rip up delicate plants such as 4 leaf clover. I have a
waterfall, three stream regions, each with a 10" or mini water fall to
accommodate grading.

I bought Wallmart's "Special Kitty" unscented kitty liter - ingredients
are "ground clay". 25# cost $2.

Update 2:

The second treatment was much the same as the first. Waterfalls and fast
moving stream areas completely clear of string algae. Some masses in slow
moving areas that were not robust.

I Also did a check on the particular kitty litter I'm using. It completely
disintegrates, I left some in still area, it turned very soft and then
disappeared.

It has finally gotten warm enough that my water plants are actually
growing. Thus I finally have some nutrient competition starting. Last
year, when this occurred, only my falls and cascades had a problem. An
area the kitty litter washes clean.

As for purchasing explicitly labeled clay, as I mentioned on previous
post, two suppliers I was pointed to no longer direct ship or no longer
handle larger, cost effective lots. Koi Clay is a very expensive way to
buy clay! Huge mark up to add the word "koi" :-(

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

Old 27-06-2004, 06:03 AM
lalu

Just a note:

Cowboy Mining no longer sells 50lb, $38 for 10 lb + shipping

Laguna no longer does direct sales

Called them both today!

Thus I can't find a supplier other than Koi Clay dealer$

gerry

I am surprised about Laguna Clay not selling direct now. I just
ordered mine directly from their california facility about a month ago
with no problem. In fact it was on my front doorstep 3 days after I
called them. And their customer service people were very helpful. Of
course things do change. They have a website: www.lagunaclay.com
that lists local distributors of their products by state. Perhaps you
could order it from one of their distributors. Or email them for
information about where/how to get it.

Of course you would have to ask for bentonite clay and not koi clay
since they are pottery suppliers and didnt know what I was talking
about. They have several types of b.clay. I got the finest grade
but next time would get a slightly less fine type that would be
cheaper. I got 'hpm-20' but would get '325 mesh' next time. Still
very very fine but cheaper and easier to suspend. I have to sprinkle
it over water thru a sieve to prevent it from clumping, and wisk it
at the same time -- just like adding flour to water to prevent lumpy
gravey, LOL. Or carefully use a blender (add the clay slowly to the
water as the blender runs).

'hpm-20' is $8.07 for 10 pounds plus handling and shipping. (20 pounds
was under $30 to my door) '325 mesh' bentonite is $3.59 for 10 pounds
plus shipping and handling. I dont know how much it would be thru one
of their distributors. These are current (2004) catalog prices. I do
not know what the mineral breakdown of this product is, but I have
been using it (hpm-20) in my pond for a month and am very pleased.

I just put some into my pond today. Lalu
Old 27-06-2004, 06:04 AM
lalu

from Gerry: I Also did a check on the particular kitty litter I'm
using. It completely
disintegrates, I left some in still area, it turned very soft and then
disappeared.

You are lucky. The basic clay kitty litter I tried stayed as sharp
little pebbles even after soaking overnight and then being run thru a
food processor - oh the racket! And it knicked the blade! Even after a
week in water it was still totally undissolved. The cats got the rest.
If mine had totally dissolved, I probably would have stuck with it
instead of something more expensive. Alas it didnt.

Lalu

Old 27-06-2004, 06:15 PM
GrannyGrump

very very fine but cheaper and easier to suspend. I have to sprinkle
it over water thru a sieve to prevent it from clumping, and wisk it
at the same time -- just like adding flour to water to prevent lumpy
gravey, LOL. Or carefully use a blender (add the clay slowly to the
water as the blender runs).

Now I'm confused.

First I read to sprinkle it on the algea/water.

Now I read to make a roue of it... and do what with it then?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:38 PM

There are many chemicals to help fix Algae problems. Some of the best
ones are like AlgaeFix and hit can be purchased online from
www.bestpondstuff.com
or
www.backyard-lifestyle.com

They carry many of the best products available, at discounted prices.
hope this helps,
Norman

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:29:26 -0400, gerry