Old 17-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Mary kate

Default SLUGS and salt $.o1

Place a penny about one every foot around your pond....it's an old trick
learned with doing flower beds :-) It works great.

Old 17-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Gareee©

"Mary kate" wrote in message
Place a penny about one every foot around your pond....it's an old trick
learned with doing flower beds :-) It works great.

What does that do?

Old 18-06-2004, 05:21 AM
Snooze

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Mary kate" wrote in message
Place a penny about one every foot around your pond....it's an old trick
learned with doing flower beds :-) It works great.

What does that do?

The copper on the pennies reacts with the mucus that the snails & slugs
secrete. The reaction creates a slight electrical current, strong enough to
discourage them from crossing the copper. But more then likely, they'll just
go around the penny. A thin copper wire laid around the perimeter of the
pond or flower bed would work just as well. As long as there are no snails &
slugs on the inside of the enclosed wired off area.

Rose gardeners will often wrap copper wire or copper tape around the base of
the rose canes to prevent snails from climbing up.

Snooze

Old 18-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Snooze" wrote in message

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Mary kate" wrote in message
Place a penny about one every foot around your pond....it's an old

trick
learned with doing flower beds :-) It works great.

What does that do?

The copper on the pennies reacts with the mucus that the snails & slugs
secrete. The reaction creates a slight electrical current, strong enough

discourage them from crossing the copper. But more then likely, they'll

just
go around the penny. A thin copper wire laid around the perimeter of the
pond or flower bed would work just as well. As long as there are no snails

&
slugs on the inside of the enclosed wired off area.

Rose gardeners will often wrap copper wire or copper tape around the base

of
the rose canes to prevent snails from climbing up.

Forgive me...but this sounds like folklore. I checked around google, and it
seems to be common knowledge! How strange! Don't you need two types of metal
to create a current? Weird. You learn something every day. Anyway, I am off
to collect slugs. I plan to power my pump with them and some pennies.

BV.

Old 18-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote I am off
to collect slugs. I plan to power my pump with them and some pennies.

Your karma is going to go off the scale ;-)

I use a pellet product around my hosta and impatiens, it is non-toxic to other
critters.
Seems to work just fine. When I had koi I'd toss land snails to them, that is
when I found out koi have teeth!

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 20-06-2004, 04:03 PM

http://www.miniscience.com/projects/PotatoElectricity/

is the penny 100% copper?

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...re/DG7561.html
" Copper is an effective barrier to slugs. Copper strips or tape sold specifically
for slug control can be purchased from garden suppliers. Caution: The sharp edges of
some products may cause safety problems, especially for young children. Copper
barriers are most practical for small gardens and containers.

Diatomaceous earth (tiny fossilized skeletons of ancient aquatic diatoms) is
moderately effective as a slug barrier. When slugs come in contact with diatomaceous
earth, it is abrasive to their skin. Diatomaceous earth is most effective when used
in dry conditions and has little effect when it absorbs moisture.

There are several pesticides that may be used to supplement the above nonchemical
tactics. Iron phosphate (e.g. Escar-Go, Sluggo), applied to the soil as granules, is
a less toxic bait for slugs. Iron phosphate is mixed with a food product that draws
slugs to the bait. Once slugs consume this bait, they stop feeding and die three to
six days later.

Chemical slug baits often contain metaldehyde (e.g. Deadline, Defender), available as
a granular or liquid paste. When metaldehyde is eaten by slugs, it destroys their
ability to move and digest food. Apply it to the soil near slug-infested plants.
Metaldehyde is more effective during warm, dry weather. It is best to apply
metaldehyde after a rain storm but when sunny weather is predicted.

Copper compounds (copper silicate and copper sulfate) are effective repellents. They
are usually mixed with water, then sprayed on plants. Copper products repel slugs but
do not usually kill them. Do not spray copper compounds near baits; slugs will avoid
baits contaminated with them. "

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:
Forgive me...but this sounds like folklore. I checked around google, and it
seems to be common knowledge! How strange! Don't you need two types of metal
to create a current? Weird. You learn something every day. Anyway, I am off
to collect slugs. I plan to power my pump with them and some pennies.

BV.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Clary sage, slugs, salt problem June Hughes United Kingdom 3 06-08-2006 12:04 AM
SLUGS and salt $.o1 Andrew Burgess Ponds 6 01-07-2004 02:08 AM
SLUGS and salt jammer Ponds 7 18-06-2004 08:07 PM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
Slugs or no slugs Kate Morgan United Kingdom 9 04-04-2003 02:20 PM