Old 17-06-2004, 08:18 AM
jammer

Default SLUGS and salt

Can i sprinkle salt around the pond to kill these creeps? You use salt
in your ponds so i don't see the problem.
Old 17-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Snooze

"jammer" wrote in message
Can i sprinkle salt around the pond to kill these creeps? You use salt
in your ponds so i don't see the problem.

Depends on what kind of slug salter you are. Pouring the entire container of
salt on the little guy, not such a hot idea. It doesn't take much salt to
dehydrate a slug and kill it, just a pinch. That's not likely to alter the
pond's salt levels significantly. If you have a concern, just squash 'em or
do what I do, toss them over the fence.

Snooze

Old 17-06-2004, 01:04 PM
RainLover

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:22:00 GMT, "Snooze"
wrote:

"jammer" wrote in message
.. .
Can i sprinkle salt around the pond to kill these creeps? You use salt
in your ponds so i don't see the problem.

Depends on what kind of slug salter you are. Pouring the entire container of
salt on the little guy, not such a hot idea. It doesn't take much salt to
dehydrate a slug and kill it, just a pinch. That's not likely to alter the
pond's salt levels significantly. If you have a concern, just squash 'em or
do what I do, toss them over the fence.

Snooze

So YOU are the reason I have so damn *^&$*# many SLUGS in my GARDEN!

You're such a f*%& A$$^&*((

I hate you,

Snooze's Neighbor.
Old 17-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Remydog

Use diatomaceous earth, which is available at pool supplies and sometimes
garden centers in smaller quantities. It doesn't dissolve when it rains and
the slugs don't like it. You can spread it around where they are found and
they will stay away.

Or, get slug traps.

Old 17-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Ka30P

Jammer, how big are these critters?
If they are fairly small you can toss them to the fish for instant fish food. I
used to not be able to pick up worms and slugs but since I have had the pond I
will carry a slug across the yard and toss it in (my brother would be so
proud!).

kathy :-)

Old 18-06-2004, 07:02 AM
jammer

Well i rarely see them, but see the damage they are causing. I killed
one that was about 4 inches long! But i am not picking them up. I
wanted to sprinkle a little salt on the dirt a foot away from the
water to kill the slugs as they go to the plants. Is that safe?

Old 18-06-2004, 12:03 PM
George Thompson

might not be slugs! I just planted out my vegitables etc around my
pond. All of a sudden they got munched, so I did the usual. My usual
is:

Scatter dried oats around the base of any plants - this dehyrates them
and doesn't cause problems to birds.

This didn't work so:

Dig a small hole & place a steepsided cup into it. Lay a lid over the
top propped up by a small stone. Fill with (dregs of) ale this
attracts the slugs which get quite a humane death (IMHO)

Got a few slugs, but oddly enough I also caught a huge catapillar
(probably spelt wrong). Fat on my radishes.

Plants are now recovering.

Old 18-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Lydia

"jammer" wrote in message
Can i sprinkle salt around the pond to kill these creeps? You use salt
in your ponds so i don't see the problem.

I don't think it's practical in this situation... would have to have alotta
eggs for breakfast. And I've never tried it myself, but I've heard that
sprinkling crushed eggshell around what you want to keep the slugs away from
works. The theory being that the sharp edges are sharp enough to damage
their slimy mooshy skin so they don't cross over them.

Lydia

Clary sage, slugs, salt problem June Hughes United Kingdom 3 06-08-2006 12:04 AM
SLUGS and salt $.o1 Andrew Burgess Ponds 6 01-07-2004 02:08 AM
SLUGS and salt $.o1 Mary kate Ponds 6 20-06-2004 04:03 PM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
Slugs or no slugs Kate Morgan United Kingdom 9 04-04-2003 02:20 PM