Old 21-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Andrew Burgess

Default SLUGS and salt $.o1

The copper on the pennies reacts with the mucus that the snails & slugs
secrete. The reaction creates a slight electrical current, strong enough

to discourage them from crossing the copper.

Forgive me...but this sounds like folklore. I checked around google, and it
seems to be common knowledge! How strange! Don't you need two types of metal
to create a current? Weird. You learn something every day. Anyway, I am off
to collect slugs. I plan to power my pump with them and some pennies.

Copper works to repel snails (1) but I've always doubted the mechanism is electric current.
I suspect copper sulfate and other copper compounds on the penny, copper is highly
toxic to invertebrates.

(1) Organic Gardening magazine once did a comparison of all the snail repellants
on the market and copper foil was the clear winner, might have been the only
one 100% effective, I can't recall...

Old 22-06-2004, 03:05 AM
RichToyBox

I have used salt to kill slugs, but the way that I have done it, you see the
slug, pour some salt on him and he dehydrates. Pouring salt on the ground
might work if he gets to the salt before the rain, or sprinkler system
dissolves it and washes it into the soil. Salt in the soil works as a good
vegatative inhibitor, in that it will kill plants and prevent new ones from
growing, if the concentration gets high enough. I doubt that salt on the
ground would be very effective.
--
RichToyBox
"jammer" wrote in message
I am still wanting to cut the affected (ugly) plants and sprinkle salt
around the pond. Cant anyone tell me that would be ok? How about
spritzing with salt water? These are not IN the pond but around it.

Old 23-06-2004, 07:07 PM
O3raledale

One thing that is very good for getting rid of slugs in your garden is a
shallow bowl of beer sunken level with the soil line. Use that old half a
bottle of beer that was left over last night to refill the bowl every other day
or so. Works good but leaves a slimey mess in the bowl.
-Pat
They go out smiling
Old 23-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Ka30P

Jammer, toads eat slugs! Just wait for your
baby toadlets to grow up and snarf them down.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 28-06-2004, 08:03 AM
jammer

On 23 Jun 2004 17:45:02 GMT, EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:

Jammer, toads eat slugs! Just wait for your
baby toadlets to grow up and snarf them down.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Cool, thank you, Another good reason to raise toads.

(You should see them....teeny ones the size of a low cut pinky nail to
larger ones that i raised indoors and last year's toadpole survivors
and the adults have gone away somewhere. The babies are adorable and
some stay near the pond so i get to see them regularly. The yearlings
are fat and happy and near the back door in the flower beds. I
believe the frog moved on.

Old 30-06-2004, 11:13 PM
D Kat

Bud is the best for slug bait (I think it is the hops...)... The only bad
thing about using this method is that if you forget it for a bit you will
find your container filled with a very, VERY bad smelling concoction.....

Old 01-07-2004, 02:08 AM
Gareee©

"D Kat" wrote in message
Bud is the best for slug bait (I think it is the hops...)...

Do they prefer low carb, or regular?

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Clary sage, slugs, salt problem June Hughes United Kingdom 3 06-08-2006 12:04 AM
SLUGS and salt $.o1 Mary kate Ponds 6 20-06-2004 04:03 PM
SLUGS and salt jammer Ponds 7 18-06-2004 08:07 PM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
Slugs or no slugs Kate Morgan United Kingdom 9 04-04-2003 02:20 PM