Old 19-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Newbie Bill

Default Water Lily Holes

I think someone just mentioned this but I cant find it. Very frequently my
lily leaves develope little 1/8" brown brown circles, they multiply, the
leaf yellows and dies. It is never on the newest leaves. Is this a calling
for Potash or just part of the life cycle.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 19-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Newbie Bill

ps They only seem to live about 5-6 weeks. Each time I pinch yellowing
leaves (in all phases) seems to be about 15-20%.
Bill

m...

Old 21-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
m...
I think someone just mentioned this but I cant find it. Very frequently

my
lily leaves develope little 1/8" brown brown circles, they multiply, the
leaf yellows and dies. It is never on the newest leaves. Is this a

calling
for Potash or just part of the life cycle.

I find that once the summer gets going, the lillies go crazy and pruning
dead leaves is a near daily thing. This year I potted my lily in stones, and
it is not doing so well, so I have not had the maintenance. When the leaves
do turn brown, small holes seem to be part of the norm, at least they were
last year. Now, I must also disclaim that I had an aphid issue last year
from some imported water lettuce, so they could have been part of the
problem.

My big problem this year is the dern frogs. They are all sitting on my lotus
leaves, and their amorous behaviour is scratching and tearing the leaves.

BV.

Old 21-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Sue Walsh

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message news:aWZAc.7212
Very frequently mylily leaves develope little 1/8" brown brown

circles, they multiply, the leaf yellows and dies.

Hi Bill,

A worm causes these small holes I forget its name. They eat holes in
the leaf and then wrap themselves in pieces of it and float to the
next leaf and start to do their damage on that one. They do need to
be controlled unless you like the look of all your leaves with holes.
They also will burrow into the stem of the leaf and turn it yellow
prematurely. They do make the plants unsightly and not as strong
growers. So it's a good idea to deal with them.

They can be eradicated with the use of a product called 'Thuricide'
which is Bacillus thuringiensis Berliner. I buy it at Home Depot.
This is a liquid, which you mix with water and spray on all the leaves
in your pond. It does not hurt fish or frogs or plants. It only
kills worms and caterpillars. So be careful when you use it to not
get it on any butterfly plants, including water plants such as 'Water
Hyssop' which is a host plant for the White Peacock butterfly. It
will not hurt the plant but will kill any caterpillars of that
butterfly that are using it as a host plant. (Yes, I'm a butterfly
nut) Read the label and use only the proportions they say. Do not
spray in the heat of the day. I only mix a half-gallon at a time,
since you cannot keep it more than a few hours. I use 2 TBL per 1/2
gallon of water and spray in the evening and then again early the next
morning, using up that entire amount. You may have to do this a few
times if your infestation is high. After that you can keep them under
control by doing it as soon as you start to see just a few holes in
the leaves. It's not hard and keeps the plants looking much nicer and
growing stronger.

Sue W
Brooksville, FL
Old 22-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Newbie Bill

Hi Sue - It is so difficult to help diagnose over distance without being
about to see, but I hope you have pegged it. Saturday I waded into the pond
and removed most of the leaves I could find with any of these symptoms - it
was a bunch. Now I am almost certain it is some critter or condition,
because by this morning there were already an alarming amount of leaves that
seemed to be spotted and the little lite brown symetrical circles, to yellow
to dark brown and submerging cycle seems to really have accelerated. It is
now quite obvious that they are deteriorating much faster than new growth is
coming - drats, drats, drats. I will try to get to HD or others today and
try your suggestion quickly. One end was virtually covered till recently,
but I fear it will be empty before long. Strangely one lily in slightly
more shallow water seems to be less affected, though affected. Maybe the
pack just hasnt made its way that far. I have been fertilizing about once a
month, but havent located Potash yet - in the now unlikely case it is just a
nutritional matter. Nitrates are about 10 and ph is about 7.8.
Thanxx for your input and keep your fingers crossed for me.

Bill Brister - Austin, Texas
om...

Old 22-06-2004, 06:19 PM

china mark moth or something liek that

(Sue Walsh) wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 24-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Newbie Bill

Hi Sue, Ingrid and all - I have been having a problem find the 'cure' so
before I continued my search and possibly treat incorrectly thought I'd make
one last check on symptoms. I dont yet have the resources to post a pic,
but the one picture I did see about the moth showed leaves very similar but
with approx. 1/4 holes. Mine have sometimes 50 little light brown very
symetrical marks. To my eye it is not until they turn dark brown sometimes
merge and start to decay that a very small hole about the size of a
hyperdermic can be easily seen. Aside from never seeing any larvae alll the
other description fits, including having seen some rather large moths
nearby, though never close enough to see their markings. Do these symptoms
sound like what you have observed or heard of?
Thanxx again
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas
"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message

china mark moth

Yes that's it, thanks.

Bill,
You can pick up one of the little pieces and if it has leaf on both
top and bottom, pry it apart and you will see the worms or
caterpillars inside.

Sue

Old 25-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Hi Bill

If its not the worms then it might be a nutrient deficiency, notably
pottassium.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**