Old 22-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Crayfish?

The rumor on the street that the big pond on the farm nearby is fed by a
stream, and that the stream has crayfish in it. My neighbor things it would
be cool to put some in the pond. I concur, but want to be sure it's cool for
the fish. Any thoughts?

BV.

Old 22-06-2004, 03:04 PM
chagoi

Benign Vanilla wrote:
The rumor on the street that the big pond on the farm nearby is fed by a
stream, and that the stream has crayfish in it. My neighbor things it would
be cool to put some in the pond. I concur, but want to be sure it's cool for
the fish. Any thoughts?

BV.

Googled rec. ponds
"crayfish in rec. ponds"

found many pros and cons

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

-- Microsoft XP --- "X"tra "P"atches, "X"tra "P"roblems, "X"tra "P"rofit,
"X"tra "P"ain, "X"tra "P"anic, "X"tra "P"athetic, "Xtra "P"ernicious
--- take your "P"ick

Old 22-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Ka30P

I put in two crayfish once.
Then I read up on them.... at least you are doing it in the right order.
Decided that I didn't want them bugging the fish.
I caught one of the crayfish. Other was never seen again so who knows...
As an experiment to see what crayfish really do I put the one I caught in my
son's tank with goldfish and two bullfrog tadpoles.
The only damage I ever saw was one tadpole showed up with a slash in his tail.
The crayfish was very shy and spent all his time in a skull and bones aquarium
toy cave.
When my son's DI team did a skit called under the sea I took the crayfish out
for a trip to his coach's house to serve as a model for the kid sized lobster
costume they made. The crayfish then had babies! He became a her. We were all
thrilled. Unfortunately we weren't able to keep them alive.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 22-06-2004, 05:06 PM
GrannyGrump

Carwdaddies don't bother fish.

Old 22-06-2004, 08:02 PM

Before putting them in verify what species of crayfish you are dealing
with. Some are far more agressive towards fish and plants then others.
I currently have about a dozen white river crayfish (Procambarus
acutus acutus) in my 2000 gallon pond. They leave the plants alone and
only bother "sick" fish. At one point I had put some rusty crayfish
(Orconectes rusticus) in and ended up having to remove them, as they
were making a mess of the plants and injured a couple of my large Koi.

I find the crayfish quite amusing. Although they spend most of the
daylight hours hiding under the plant pots, they are quick come out
when they smell fish food at feeding times. They climb up the lily
pad stems to the surface and hang upside down trying to grab pieces of
floating food before the Koi snatch it up.

Old 22-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Ka30P

mcclure wrote white river crayfish (Procambarus
acutus acutus) They climb up the lily
pad stems to the surface and hang upside down trying to grab pieces of
floating food

Oh! I've got to get me some of these!!! I wonder if they are to be found in my
state. Going to investigate...

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 22-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Gareee©

"Ka30P" wrote in message
mcclure wrote white river crayfish (Procambarus
acutus acutus) They climb up the lily
pad stems to the surface and hang upside down trying to grab pieces of
floating food

Oh! I've got to get me some of these!!! I wonder if they are to be found

in my
state. Going to investigate...

I know we've found a few in our stream that runs through our yard. I need to
clear up our pond first though, before adding something else I can't see. I
have a alge/clay pond right now.

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 23-06-2004, 12:04 AM
bluegill phil

Ive had crayfish in an aquqrium with fish and the ones they can catch
are brutilized. until the crawdads reach maturity then they are veggie
eaters. My chinese algea eater drives them nuts.My bloodparrot bit
three of a crawdads legs off but they grew back and I had to get
another aqurium.Their in the indoor fish section of this link
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bluegillphil2000
this link has crawdad info
http://srac.tamu.edu/

Old 24-06-2004, 01:05 AM

In , on 06/22/04
at 08:59 AM, "Benign Vanilla" said:

The rumor on the street that the big pond on the farm nearby is fed by a
stream, and that the stream has crayfish in it. My neighbor things it
would be cool to put some in the pond. I concur, but want to be sure it's
cool for the fish. Any thoughts?

They'll try to eat the fish, and might get hold of fish when they're
sleeping at night.

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

Old 24-06-2004, 02:06 AM
bluegill phil

in cramped space they kill anything they can pinch or at least mine
did but a pond may be roomy enough the fish can avoid them. I also fed
mine cutup talipa at least once a week and frozen greenpeas. the older
they got the more they ate the peas. their regular food was crab
cuisine by hikari which the feeder platys and guppies liked too.also
they destroyed all the fake plants

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:41:42 -0300, wrote:

In , on 06/22/04
at 08:59 AM, "Benign Vanilla" said:

The rumor on the street that the big pond on the farm nearby is fed by a
stream, and that the stream has crayfish in it. My neighbor things it
would be cool to put some in the pond. I concur, but want to be sure it's
cool for the fish. Any thoughts?

They'll try to eat the fish, and might get hold of fish when they're
sleeping at night.

Alan

crayfish and freshwater mussels Steve Ponds 4 31-03-2011 06:58 PM
Caught a crayfish today! Gareee© Ponds 10 26-11-2003 05:32 PM
Freshwater shrimp, crabs and crayfish Frank M. Greco Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 18-07-2003 10:17 AM
KAAA-RAZY crayfish Sam Hopkins Ponds 8 06-07-2003 02:32 AM
Freshwater shrimp, crabs and crayfish Frank M. Greco Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 12-06-2003 04:08 PM