Old 23-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Lostin1999

Default Few odd Questions Any help appreciated (pond/water couorsebuil...

"Mary kate" wrote in message
I'm new here also and I'm also new at ponding. I know how frustrating
it is to need answers and not get any......perhaps were on our own until
we reach (their) levels in ponding. I've found several good
books.......at least with reading books there's no ( how many PORG'S
does it take to get ONE question answered) problems..LOL Wish I could
answer your questions { because I would ...there important to you }
hang in there...you still have a love for ponding, you just have to find
another means for getting your questions answered :-) A BOOK

yeah ive been reading Pond and water garden book's for a few years (ever
since the idea first came to me to have a pond (well before the current
"FAD" of ponding)) ive read from Charlie Dimmock to RHS (Royal Horticultural
Society).

for the feature it appears I can use what I like as long as it has a liner
over it.. so the water feature is pretty much sorted (yet to be built, but
plans are afoot!!)

cannot get any answers on the Sterlets, (but I have learned not to call then
Sturgeon (they are too young)) but im assuming it may be I have 2 males and
they are seeking females (the smaller one of the trio at only 8" long will
not be up to maturity for another year..

brings me onto why I got sterlets.. I was told they ate Blanket weed
(string algae to this newsgroup) so promptly bought 4.. (lost one when I
was sorting a pump blockage and accidentally dropped pump into water right
on top of it.. (alas poor fish)) funny how easy some retailers find it to
lie to get a sale (that said I love em now!!)

was sorting out a slow flow through my UV filter yesterday and managed to
drop it in the pond.. (so had to reset the main fuse in the house and my UV
may be dead.. (oops) just glad it didn't hit any fish and that the fuse
was faster to act than the electric was to kill any fish!! (im very lucky
so far)

not putting a uv on new pond (yet) as I need the filter (all new bio media)
to fill with the good bacteria.. using alfagrog now (was on them plastic
things provided with a hoselock box,) but feel new pond will need more than
that. and read loads of good reviews of the Alfagrog stuff. so all is
going well..

as this is my first ornamental pond im being VERY careful..

Lost

Old 23-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Bonnie

Lostin1999 wrote:
"Mary kate" wrote in message

[...]

Hi,

I do know who Charlie Dimmock is and do appreciate her work.
The reason many of your questions weren't answered is that
we don't know the answers. Many of your terms are unknown
to us in the USA. I know nothing of sturgeon nor sterlets,
nor hoselock box, or alfagrog. We need a translator!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 23-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Mary kate" wrote in message
I'm new here also and I'm also new at ponding. I know how frustrating
it is to need answers and not get any......perhaps were on our own until
we reach (their) levels in ponding. I've found several good
books.......at least with reading books there's no ( how many PORG'S
does it take to get ONE question answered) problems..LOL Wish I could
answer your questions { because I would ...there important to you }
hang in there...you still have a love for ponding, you just have to find
another means for getting your questions answered :-) A BOOK

The key thing to remember here on rec.ponds and on any usenet group, is that
this is a topic oriented format. People pick and choose the topics that
interest them. So if you are not getting a response, it is probably because
nobody has an answer.

We don't shun newbies as Mary Kate seems to be implying. If I misread your
intent MK, my apologies. Everyone here at one time or another was the New
Guy. Hell, technically, I probably still am.

BV.

Old 23-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Andrew Burgess

was sorting out a slow flow through my UV filter yesterday and managed to
drop it in the pond.. (so had to reset the main fuse in the house and my UV
may be dead.. (oops) just glad it didn't hit any fish and that the fuse
was faster to act than the electric was to kill any fish!! (im very lucky
so far)

It sounds like that may have be a GFCI rather than a fuse but if it wasn't,
consider getting one for when your luck runs out. Less than $10 for an outlet.

There are even extension cords now with GFCI built in if your pond wiring
is more 'creative'.

Old 24-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Newbie Bill

Hi Mary Kate - I definitely am a newbie so am hoping I can help smooth off a
few rough edges here, from a slightly more objective point of view. First
of all it has been my observation that many or most of the people here come
with their primary reason being to help others through the mistakes and
experiences they have already encountered - they don't shun them, they are
here for them. Sure there is some socializing but how many times have I
seen Ingrid have a response like - '.9 lbs salt per 100 gals and medicated
food.' to a 200 word post. She's here to help. The answer and off to help
someone else. I too have experienced the frustration of having what on our
end is a desperate problem and receiving little response. I think this is
simply because no one knows or if it intend sounds like a desperate problem
no one wants to venture a guess about sick fish and aid in instead killing
them. I have also experienced that when one brings up multiple issues in
one post some tend not to be answered. Again I believe this is partially
because some answers are unknown. I dont know how everyone else does it but
I read the newest posts through google groups and post directly to usenet.
If something like this is common I think it also explains why one part is
answered up one side and down the other and the remainder of the thread is
lost/ignored - because that is the part of the thread that carries on. The
fact that you express frustration tells me, whether you like it or not you
are part of the PORG. I'm sure you will realize what a wonderful and
valuable group this is if you dont let your first impressions taint your
look at the group. I certainly do not speak for the group, but I suspect
they would all say you are right where you should be if you need help with
your pond (most of the time) and 'we' hope you stay.
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 24-06-2004, 01:05 AM
bluegill phil

ive been into the usenet for more than 10 yrs and this group is one of
the nicest.some are overrun with socalled intellectuals.

Old 24-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Lostin1999

"Bonnie" wrote in message
Lostin1999 wrote:
"Mary kate" wrote in message

[...]

Sterlets more info at
http://www.aquariacentral.com/fishinfo/cold/sterlet.htm

Hoselock box is a filter box made by hozelock but has now been modified...
http://www.watergardeningdirect.com/...OuterFrame.htm
mines the 9000 but as i say it has all new internals...

Alfagrog = a ceramic Lavarock style filter biomedia (and ill be adding a
veggie filter (having only learned of them here) soon)
http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/Brad...ct-1031277.stm

so to recap, ive got an old hoselock filter box that i have removed the
plastic biomedia from and changed it for the alfagrog, at the moment the
flow is a wee bit high, but the spitters are yet to arrive and the geggie
filter will also be needing some of the flow

id love to put up some pictures, but at present dont have a clue about
making interwebby sites (well maybe a clue but thats all) might try and put
some in a yahoo photo album! its still a work in progress, but as i have
learned in my time ponding, its always a work in progress.. lol

Lost

Old 24-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Ka30P

Hi Lost,
Thanks for the translation! ;-)
We have sturgeon over here that live in the rivers and they can get to be huge.
One recently got stuck in an irrigation canal around here and had to be removed
with a pickup truck towing it out.
I think a veggie filter will do a good job for you and it looks nice to boot.

We'll enjoy hearing more about your projects!

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 24-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Nedra

A tip for your photo album online. Try this: It's easy to navigate - I was
able to use
and it's Free!
http://community.webshots.com

Good Luck!

Nedra

"Lostin1999" wrote in message

Old 24-06-2004, 06:09 PM

heh, I resemble that remark. actually got a bumper sticker says "I am one of those
fancy pants elitists" LOL
Ingrid

bluegill phil wrote:
some are overrun with socalled intellectuals.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 24-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Newbie Bill

What's the ol saying - If you've got it,
flaunt it. I'd say you've got it to flaunt..... A LITTLE BIT
Bill

bluegill phil wrote:
some are overrun with socalled intellectuals.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 25-06-2004, 02:03 AM
bluegill phil

Your French???

bluegill phil wrote:
some are overrun with socalled intellectuals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 26-06-2004, 01:10 AM
bluegill phil

no I didnt hear about it

"Newbie Bill" wrote:

What's the ol saying - If you've got it,
flaunt it. I'd say you've got it to flaunt..... A LITTLE BIT
Bill

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com