Old 25-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Sharing Lotus Tubors

"REBEL JOE" wrote in message
I'll buy some

snip

My intent is to e-bay my excess some year when my lotus garden takes off.
But for now, I can share for postage with rec.ponds. You'll just have to
wait for me to learn the safest way/time to do it!

Drop me a note in the fall to remind me that you want some.

BV.

Old 25-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Mosfunland

I was hoping to have them accessible, so when a fellow porg asks for a lotus
in february, I can deliver.

The year(s) my lotus jumped the pot I had tubers everywhere.......I was pulling
them up and repotted some (smaller ones) tossed the biggers ones.....it was an
active growing season...didn't put a dent into the main plant. I really don't
think you can kill them actually.....Here in Phila, the plant goes dormant by
september....yellow leaves etc....if the same holds true with you, you could
probably dump the pot, take out a couple tubers from the bottom, leave good
growth for next years crop. I know those tubers I saw at Phila flower show
were in a bin.....but they were small compared to what I had.

Repot it in the spring, you'll see lots of tubers, some you want to keep, some
you can give away. The water will be frigid, but once the pot is out (on
plastic trash bag)....pick out what you want to keep,
and if you are mailing them, you can wrap them in slightly damp newspaper, in a
plastic bag...in a mailer....good luck
Maureen
Old 25-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Ka30P

Maureen wrote I really don't
think you can kill them actually....

chortle!
I can...
So far kathy 3, lotus 0
But that's not stopping me.
Next year I'm going to try a different
container. That's the neat thing about
being a ponder there's always next year.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 25-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Mosfunland" wrote in message
[...]

This year I pulled my pot up in the spring, from the frigid water, and did
split them and re-pot them. I guess what I am looking for is a way to store
them that doesn't begin with "sink them in the pond". Maybe I could clarify
this another way.

I plan on building a lotus garden. It'll only be 6-8 inches deep, well above
the frost line. I won't be able to leave the tubors in there or they will
freeze and get destroyed. So I plan to dig them up every fall, seperate them
and store them for the spring. I figure I can just put them in a large sack
and sink them in the pond, but I'd also like to have them accessible so I
can ship them out to ebayers or rec.ponds that get warm weather before me.
So I guess my question is, can I dig them up, dry them and keep them in the
house like other bulbs or do they need to be sunk?

BV.

Old 25-06-2004, 06:07 PM
chagoi

Benign Vanilla wrote:

"REBEL JOE" wrote in message

I'll buy some

snip

My intent is to e-bay my excess some year when my lotus garden takes off.
But for now, I can share for postage with rec.ponds. You'll just have to
wait for me to learn the safest way/time to do it!

Drop me a note in the fall to remind me that you want some.

BV.

Whats the matter you don't think your "Maryland Mud and Muck Marathon"
can compete against the "Pennsylvania Pond PHlop"??? :-)

Chagoi

Mike
http://ourkoipond.com
-- All three of my cats - Answer to "Electric Can Opener"

Old 25-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Ka30P

BV - there is some discussion of options here
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...143218900.html

look half way down for missa's posting. She has lots of ways that don't work...
but research wise it would save you time ;-)

I was wondering if you had room in your garage?
A stock tank with a couple bubblers going?

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 25-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Heather

They are in tubs at the front of the nursery by their checkout. She handled
them very carefully and warned be about being careful of the growing tip. I
had the plant on order for about three weeks till they dug them to divide.

Heather

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Heather" wrote in message
. ..
FWIW, Just purchased my first lotus. The nursery where I purchased it
propagates their own and sells them bare root. They don't dig them up

till
early June because they want to see where the growth is.

snip

Are the bareroot tubors sitting in water or just sitting dry?

BV.

Old 25-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Nedra

BV, How large is your lotus pond going to be? And why only 6 8 inches
deep?
Why not make it deeper? I'd say about 12 inches deep.... of course this is
if I were
you.... LOL

Anyway, to answer your question... I've never heard of anyone drying lotus
tubers.
That doesn't mean it isn't done. I know how indestructible the tubers are.
Mine
don't go into hibernation until November at the earliest.
They still have green leaves into the winter.

Did I help you any at all?

Nedra

Old 25-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message

BV - there is some discussion of options here
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...143218900.html

look half way down for missa's posting. She has lots of ways that don't

work...
but research wise it would save you time ;-)

I was wondering if you had room in your garage?
A stock tank with a couple bubblers going?

Unfortunately, I have no garage.

BV.

Old 25-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Heather" wrote in message
. ..
Or "heaven forbid" in the beer fridge to keep them dormant but not frozen?

snip

That would be tolerated! I could keep them dry in the fridge or would hey
need to be in water?

BV.

Old 25-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
hlink.net...
BV, How large is your lotus pond going to be? And why only 6 8 inches
deep?
Why not make it deeper? I'd say about 12 inches deep.... of course this

is
if I were
you.... LOL

I've got some scrap liner that is long and semi-narrow. It'll make a perfect
long, shallow bed. I guess I could closer to 12 inches deep, but I am not
sure I have enough liner. I probably do.

Anyway, to answer your question... I've never heard of anyone drying

lotus
tubers.
That doesn't mean it isn't done. I know how indestructible the tubers

are.
Mine
don't go into hibernation until November at the earliest.
They still have green leaves into the winter.

Did I help you any at all?

snip

I think this year, I'll sink some, dry some, fridge some and see how it
goes.

BV.

Old 25-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote Unfortunately, I have no garage.

Oh. They're not all they're cracked up to be
as we have a garage but no cars in it - the builder build a faux garage - as in
look, Martha! this here house has a double garage! Just try to get two cars in
it. One car door is blocked by the door into the garage and the other car door
is blocked by a pillar.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 25-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Gareee©

Sigh......

Someone HAS to say it!

Ok I will!

It's NOT a Tuber!

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 25-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Nedra

Good Ideas - all of them!

Nedra

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Nedra" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Trailing Lotus-2254 (Lotus berthelotii) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 0 16-09-2012 08:23 AM
Sharing Lotus Tubors) Nedra Ponds 0 28-06-2004 10:06 PM
Lotus question, newbie to lotus claude rogers Ponds 1 02-06-2003 05:56 PM
Sharing pond pics ... Chi Tran Ponds 9 29-03-2003 06:20 AM
Orchids in the Kitchen window - Thanks for sharing your pics profpam Orchids 2 25-02-2003 04:39 AM