Old 24-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Sharing Lotus Tubors

I want to prepare to split and share some of my tubors, as I am running out
of room, and I don't know if I will get the lotus garden in this year. What
is the best time/method to do so? I was thinking in the fall...pull them
out, cut back the roots, stems, etc.

Then what...

Put them in a bin full of pond water in the house for the winter?
Let them dry?

BV.

Old 24-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Nedra

BV, this open to debate. Some folks divide lotus in the fall ... others in
the spring.
I prefer spring - however, the water is dreadfully cold in spring.
Whatever you do
don't just pull them out. Rather, upend the pot on the side of pond and
let it drain.
Then knock the lotus loose - you will see that the lotus has circled 'round
the pot.
The alive part is on the bottom. I start cutting the lotuses back a tuber
at a time.
I think you've already done this, haven't you? At any rate you end up with
a bunch
of tubers.

I really don't know how you'd store them. You are in over my head on this.
Why not try several methods and 'experiment' ??? LOL ... that is your
middle name,
right?

Nedra

Old 24-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

snip

SOMLOL.

My goal was to make them available over the fall and winter so other ponders
could get rolling in the spring.

BV.

Old 24-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Mosfunland

BV, this open to debate. Some folks divide lotus in the fall ... others in
the spring.
I prefer spring - however, the water is dreadfully cold in spring.
Whatever you do
don't just pull them out. Rather, upend the pot on the side of pond and

I agree the water is frigid here in Phila.....you can probably sink the excess
tubers to the bottom before the winter, although I do remember seeing them in a
bin at the flowershow in philadelphia....I would just put them into a laundry
bag....a couple rocks and sink them, leaving the tie close to the surface so in
the spring you can just pull them up and pot them...
maureen

Old 24-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Benign Vanilla

"noahsnana" wrote in message
news
I don't know the answer but would love one. I'm local, Waldorf.
Joann
snip

If nedra can give me some instructions on safely digging one up now even
though it is growing, I'd be happy to share with you for postage.

BV.

Old 24-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Mosfunland" wrote in message
BV, this open to debate. Some folks divide lotus in the fall ... others

in
the spring.
I prefer spring - however, the water is dreadfully cold in spring.
Whatever you do
don't just pull them out. Rather, upend the pot on the side of pond and

I agree the water is frigid here in Phila.....you can probably sink the

excess
tubers to the bottom before the winter, although I do remember seeing them

in a
bin at the flowershow in philadelphia....I would just put them into a

laundry
bag....a couple rocks and sink them, leaving the tie close to the surface

so in
the spring you can just pull them up and pot them...

I was hoping to have them accessible, so when a fellow porg asks for a lotus
in february, I can deliver.

BV.

Old 24-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Heather

FWIW, Just purchased my first lotus. The nursery where I purchased it
propagates their own and sells them bare root. They don't dig them up till
early June because they want to see where the growth is.

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

hlink.net...

Old 24-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Heather" wrote in message
. ..
FWIW, Just purchased my first lotus. The nursery where I purchased it
propagates their own and sells them bare root. They don't dig them up

till
early June because they want to see where the growth is.

snip

Are the bareroot tubors sitting in water or just sitting dry?

BV.

Old 24-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Ka30P

sigh, lotus hate me.
I grew one from seed, two summers worth of
growth and then an unexpected October cold snap killed it. jan gave me one this
spring with two leaves showing on the tip. And it died.
I may be doomed to be lotus-less. But that won't stop me! Just gotta figure out
where to put one next year.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 24-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Nedra

Ever cautious Nedra - I wouldn't bother a growing lotus. I think there is
a danger
that it can be drowned.

Nedra in Missouri

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

news

Old 25-06-2004, 09:04 AM
noahsnana

BV try this thread from AWGS

http://www.awgs.org/ubb/ultimatebb.p...c;f=1;t=006132

Old 25-06-2004, 09:04 AM
noahsnana

Another link
http://web.archive.org/web/200012100...m/lotusdiv.htm

Old 25-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

"noahsnana" wrote in message
news
BV try this thread from AWGS

http://www.awgs.org/ubb/ultimatebb.p...c;f=1;t=006132

snip

Thanks. It appears my best plan may be to leave them until April. And I had
all kinds of cool plans for a lotus garden this year. Dern.

BV.

Old 25-06-2004, 03:09 PM
REBEL JOE

I'll buy some

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

God himself does not propose to judge a man until he is dead. So why
should you?

Trailing Lotus-2254 (Lotus berthelotii) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 0 16-09-2012 08:23 AM
Sharing Lotus Tubors) Nedra Ponds 0 28-06-2004 10:06 PM
Lotus question, newbie to lotus claude rogers Ponds 1 02-06-2003 05:56 PM
Sharing pond pics ... Chi Tran Ponds 9 29-03-2003 06:20 AM
Orchids in the Kitchen window - Thanks for sharing your pics profpam Orchids 2 25-02-2003 04:39 AM