Old 26-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Granny Grump

Default Barley Straw turned my pond water brown

How dark is the water? I use Barley bales and they give my water a
brown tint, but the water is still clear to the bottom.

I used barley pellets.

Maybe it's real dark tea brown because the pellets reacts faster than
the straw does.

Old 26-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Granny Grump

Hey, I'm in the same boat.. did we use too much barley straw, or what?

Nahhhh, think it's because the pellets rot so much faster than the
straw.

Will stick with straw the next time around...

Old 26-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Mike Patterson

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:10:22 -0500, Granny Grump
wrote:

but at least it is no longer pea soup green!

Now, what can I add to my Skippy filter, or pond, to remove the brown
tint?

Wait.

It did the same when i first put a bag in my ~1300 gallon pond. After
a week or so the particulates settled and were filtered out.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."
Old 26-07-2004, 02:14 AM
Carl Beyer

You put the barley pellets in a mesh bag? Even better I have found is
if you put it in the leg of pantyhose. Keeps the particles from
floating around even more.

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com

Old 26-07-2004, 02:34 AM
Granny Grump

You put the barley pellets in a mesh bag? Even better I have found is
if you put it in the leg of pantyhose. Keeps the particles from
floating around even more.

Err ummm no, just tossed them in the filter. (What can I say, it was
the first Skippy filter I ever made. LOL)

Won't do that again! Have 6 (1#) bales of barley straw coming this
week, and will put it in a knee-high stocking when I use one.

Old 26-07-2004, 03:07 AM
Stephen M. Henning

Granny Grump wrote:

but at least it is no longer pea soup green!

Now, what can I add to my Skippy filter, or pond, to remove the brown
tint?

A well balanced pond is like a fine beer and the same color.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 26-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Granny Grump

A well balanced pond is like a fine beer and the same color.

LOL then mine is over balanced, since it is brown instead of amber.

Old 26-07-2004, 05:27 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , Granny Grump
writes:

Err ummm no, just tossed them in the filter. (What can I say, it was
the first Skippy filter I ever made. LOL)

Won't do that again! Have 6 (1#) bales of barley straw coming this
week, and will put it in a knee-high stocking when I use one.

try adding a layer or two of cotton batting before the water returns to the
pond. it catches fine particulates

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 26-07-2004, 07:06 AM
chagoi

Granny Grump wrote:
A well balanced pond is like a fine beer and the same color.

LOL then mine is over balanced, since it is brown instead of amber.

No! Yours' is just exceptionallly well balanced, It's Brown like
Guinness!!!

Speaking of which, I have one for you!

/\/\ike
Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com
Old 26-07-2004, 08:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Now, what can I add to my Skippy filter, or pond, to remove the brown
tint?

Water changes or carbon matting in the filter, which can be purchased thru
www.aquaticeco.com ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 26-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Granny Grump

try adding a layer or two of cotton batting before the water returns to the
pond. it catches fine particulates

Planning on doing this when I make filter #2.

Will add this to filter one, next spring

Barley Straw in my Pond Filter area? bardenmatt Edible Gardening 1 14-04-2011 08:25 PM
barley straw vs oats straw? G & K Meyer Ponds 5 13-05-2004 06:04 PM
Barley Straw Extract for Green Water Algae ? Shawn P. Good Freshwater Aquaria Plants 41 06-04-2004 09:35 PM
Barley straw Gene Ponds 3 12-11-2003 04:42 PM
Added pond straw and water turned yellowish-brown Terry Stabb Ponds 3 01-10-2003 05:32 PM