Old 26-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Granny Grump

Default Barley Straw turned my pond water brown

try adding a layer or two of cotton batting before the water returns to the
pond. it catches fine particulates

Planning on doing this when I make filter #2.

Will add this to filter one, next spring

Old 26-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Granny Grump

Water changes or carbon matting in the filter, which can be purchased thru
www.aquaticeco.com

Water changes was what I was thinking... will add carbon next Spring.

Old 26-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Granny Grump

No! Yours' is just exceptionallly well balanced, It's Brown like
Guinness!!!

Speaking of which, I have one for you!

Thanks, but no....

Old 26-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Granny Grump

Old 26-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Gail Futoran

"Granny Grump" wrote in
message ...

"chagoi" wrote in
No! Yours' is just exceptionallly well balanced, It's

Brown like
Guinness!!!

Speaking of which, I have one for you!

Thanks, but no....

::Gail waving both hands in the air:: Toss
that Guinness to me!! I had my very
first stout in a London pub. YUM!

But on topic: this is a neat thread because I
recently purchased barley pellets but hadn't
used them yet. So I now know:
(1) they'll turn my water brown-ish (no real
problem for me, since I figure it will go
away eventually)
(2) use panty hose as a container

Thanks, all.

Gail

Old 26-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Lostin1999

"Granny Grump" wrote in message

Time!!!!

Anything else? Would really like to see my fish, on the bottom, at
least a few times this year

I believe the "tea" colour should fade out over a few days... however I
only use straw never used the pellets...

apparently the liquid does away with any of this.. (although IMHO the
chemicals used to extract the Barley straw goodness might be a BAD thing for
the pond!)

but ill stick with straw methinks...

Lost

Old 26-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Newbie Bill

Then why do some people speak of 'crystal clear' water in their ponds? -
question not an arguement.
Bill

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote A well balanced pond is like a fine beer and
the same color.

Old 27-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Crashj

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message ...
Granny Grump wrote:

but at least it is no longer pea soup green!

Now, what can I add to my Skippy filter, or pond, to remove the brown
tint?

A well balanced pond is like a fine beer and the same color.

For certain values of "fine beer" that seem to include Budweiser?

BTW, did you hear that Coors is merging with Molson? The new company
will be called "Cr*pson."
--
Crashj

Old 27-07-2004, 01:03 AM
RichToyBox

For the best viewing of the fish, the good whites, the strong reds, the
laquer blacks, and the other colors, you would like to see them as brilliant
at the bottom as at the top. So some speak of having, desiring "gin" clear
water, not like beer.
--
RichToyBox
om...

Old 27-07-2004, 04:03 AM
Stephen M. Henning

Newbie Bill" wrote:

Then why do some people speak of 'crystal clear' water in their ponds? -
question not an arguement.

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote A well balanced pond is like a fine beer and
the same color.

Because their pond in not in equilibrium with nature. It is more like
the efluent of a sewage treatment plant. That water is also crystal
clear and you can drink it. I have no filters, I just let nature
naturally keep my water in balance. You wouldn't want to drink it but
you can see the bottom very easily. Since it is spring fed, it clouds
up after very heavy rains, but completely clears (ambers) up in 24 to 48
hours.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Barley Straw in my Pond Filter area? bardenmatt Edible Gardening 1 14-04-2011 08:25 PM
barley straw vs oats straw? G & K Meyer Ponds 5 13-05-2004 06:04 PM
Barley Straw Extract for Green Water Algae ? Shawn P. Good Freshwater Aquaria Plants 41 06-04-2004 09:35 PM
Barley straw Gene Ponds 3 12-11-2003 04:42 PM
Added pond straw and water turned yellowish-brown Terry Stabb Ponds 3 01-10-2003 05:32 PM