Old 29-07-2004, 08:56 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Greening of hyacinths continues; iron seems to be the issue; experiments continue

wrote:

We have not tried epsom salt. I will wait a bit to see how the tomato
fertilizer does and then add some epson. Makes the pond a bit of a coctail!

Hopefully the fish won't be stressed out thinking they're being
pre-seasoned (as in for dinner). ;o) ~ jan

Old 29-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

My kids keep making noises about how the koi are table sized now.

I laugh in response...threateningly!

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
news

Old 01-08-2004, 04:21 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Today we did a 25% water change...and let it fill back very slowly.

The small hyacinth simply haven't come back...in the pond or in the floating
basket with fertilizer...tho the algae like the fertilizer. The berm
hyacinth are clearly coming back to green.

We will try the epson salt next.

Jim
"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
We too use Ironite. Easy and, apparently, effective.

Jim

=======================
I also use it in the garden and the earthworms are thriving.
--
Carol....
~~~~~~{@

Old 02-08-2004, 03:11 AM
steve

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message
. ..
snip
Overall, it seems the iron was the issue.

snip

Jim,

Where'd you get the iron? And what form is it in?

BV.

Is Ironite messy?, does it turn your water brown and clog up the
filtration? My box of iron (not ironite) was doing that and I have
been pleasantly surprised when I used some organic iron chelate for
plants and my pond did not cloud up at all, the only negative is it is
expensive for just a little bit.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:34 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

It is in a pelletized and dissolves easily. The water in our pond showed no
change. It is, however, tea colored.

Jim

om...

Old 11-08-2004, 09:47 AM
steve

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message ...
Our hyacinths continue to move from yellow to green on the berm. In the
pond, the greening is much less. Additions: only iron.

We noted that some of our other plants were also yellowing. They too may be
short on iron.

The hyacinths in a tub of water with a little iron and a little fertilizer
have not changed noticeably, although there was a big algae bloom for a
couple of days. Not sure what to conclude from that. Maybe those hyacinth
were too far gone.

We added some tomato fertilizer last night. Will watch that for a few days
to see if there is a significant change.

The ph is still 9, so that does not seem to preclude the greening.

Overall, it seems the iron was the issue.

Jim

Jim what about the epsom salts? sprinkled on the leaves. I will say
that for your hyacinths that with short roots, try the chelated stuff.
Add it sparingly once a week because my plants went from yellow/ green
to dark green two weeks later. The Chelated growmore organic 10% stuff
seemed to really make my stuff super green compared to my old iron
ferilizer. You might be deceiving yourself with the epsom salts
because the plants getting iron get in progressivly better shape over
weeks.